Motors for gear drive

How can you fix problems with allignment?

Firstly I need a CNC mount and I need to modify the truck to make everything nice and squareā€¦ But as it is I am totally burnt out trying to get this to work for the past month or moreā€¦

I used 2kgs of filament prototyping, lots of time and money tooā€¦ About to give up honestly

1 Like

Maybe you could use CNC trucks and make your own mount?

What are CNC trucks? You mean custom trucks?

Anyway I changed back to Spursā€¦ Because the alignment is less sensitive they are actually quieter than my helicalsā€¦ (Also metal on plastic vs metal on metal).

Will need some real world testing to see if it holds upā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah I meant that or just regular precision trucks.

Is what you have similar to FatBoy Mini Drive Train 1:3 - ESK8 Mechanics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

I wanted to make something like this but I didnā€™t know where to start.

My plan was to design a geared drive for caliber II and Torqueboard 218mm trucks, why? Because I use both of them and they are very commonly used trucks in the esk8 community.

As such Iā€™m very hesitant to spend any more time and money to invest in another set of trucks, let along custom make someā€¦

As for comparing to the Fatboys, wellā€¦ functionally sure they are similarā€¦ build quality wise mine are light years BEHINDā€¦ I would love to get me some Fatboy drives but that firstly will cost a fair bit and secondly will take the fun out of building my own.

1 Like

Yeah very costlyā€¦ :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I would love to test those gear drives out one day :slight_smile:

I agree with this. But sometimes I like testing other peoples things :slight_smile: . I am working on something similar but its not a gear drive.

I am considering releasing the STLs after I do more testting so people can make their ownā€¦ Itā€™s pretty straight forwardā€¦ Just a matter of how comfortable you are with plastic parts instead of metal.

3 Likes

After a bit of testing I wouldnā€™t mind taking it to the machines! :slight_smile:

The design looks interesting, I havenā€™t really looked into gear drive since people mostly use it for off road builds and thats not for me at the moment.

You have access to a CNC? I been dying to find some place that will help me CNC at very low quantities but without breaking the bankā€¦

Geared drive for on road builds are awesome tooā€¦ Other than them being louder than belts I cannot think of why I would go back to beltsā€¦

Btw, I am making a larger version for my MTBā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m in love @ervinelin

Iā€™d love an option for 90mm flywheels. This is definitely peaking my interest

3 Likes

Sure, Iā€™ve already ridden maybe 50km with this version on 90mm flywheelsā€¦ but I need better prints for higher durabilityā€¦ Might go with some nylon prints for the motor mount and HP fusion for the gearsā€¦

Give me a few more weeks to test everythingā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Me and my buddy can likely mill the wheel spur and casing out of hdpe or pom easily.

POM works great for gears. And Iā€™m almost done with a spud/potato build on dual 5045 on calibers. So yea Iā€™ll be watching thisā€¦ as I just put the Fatboy mini on my Evo with spurs

1 Like

I have vigorously asked many cnc factories in China and thereā€™s many that will give respectable prices at lower quantities

Problem isā€¦ I need likeā€¦ ONE pieceā€¦ at most 3ā€¦

I found someone locally thatā€™s willing to help, but Iā€™m waiting for the resultsā€¦

Lower quantities are like 10 it isnā€™t too much

If I release my STLs can you mill me some for personal consumption? Haha!

1 Like

I agree, but unless I do a group buy I wonā€™t ever need 10 piecesā€¦

Maybe Iā€™ll do like a community mass development thingā€¦ not sure what you call itā€¦

1 Like

Yea man no problem. if you want a set made from pom or hdpe message @SORRENTINO or I to CNC them if you want a solid plastics instead of a print. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do people CNC motor mounts out of POM?