Motorshaft rotates without motor

@psychotiller so I tried drilling out those sets today. My drill couldn’t handle it and I think the bit is now dull. I have some JB weld, do you think that would hold it?

nope jb weld wont hold it i tried , on my dual 6355 63mm trust me i tried

What was your solution? I’ve thought maybe instead of set screws I could try with some other drill to go all the way through the motor shaft and out the other side, then just stick in a cotter pin and bent that.

from my understanding i dont think u can strip those screws are you sure your using the right tool the smallest one possible because even when i stripped mine .i was able to take them out just not tighten them,and am talking from experience ive owned 4 TB Motors and 3/4 motors have gone bad,got quite the experience messing around with them and opening them up

Yeah I couldn’t get them out, It looks to maybe red thread lock? I took a lighter to it the same time I tried loosening them, no luck.

take of a picture of what tool your using i dont think your using the right one and they dont use red loctite they use blue it easily comes out even if stripped but hard to put back in, you shouldn’t need any sort of heat with blue loctite

It’s just a 1.5mm Allen

ive used a tool like that once and i dont know how to explain this those strip screws easily try using another tool i think its the metal quality of different metal they use, i stripped one of my tb motor screws with one of those tools that my teacher gave me, looked similar to yours

Wait… if that’s a common issue, would it better to get motors from another brand then ? Or do they all have the same problem ?

1 Like

motor shaft movement ? i think most motors have that problem once in a blue moon its the design i guess you could say the best we got so far, nothing is perfect, i know there is "sealed " motors ordered 2 so i will see

The shafts are hardened so unless you have a mill with a carbide bit, you can’t do that.

Where are you located? I just fixed one of my motors that had a similar issue the other day. It’s really hard to get the setscrew out and I have precision drivers. It’ll be nearly impossible for you with that tool. If you tried drilling it out, that is your only option now as more than likely you messed up the threads. That is why I never recommend drilling out anything unless you’re prepared to trash it.

Here is what I would do… Press out the shaft with an arbor press. Should be fairly easy if your setscrews are loose already. Instead of trying to back them out, screw them all the way in until they fall out the hole. If you have not damaged the threads then get the same size tap and drive it back and forth to get the loctite and gunk out of the threads. If you did mess up the threads, you’ll have to drill out the hole to the next size up screw, tap new threads in it and put a larger setscrew in.

2 Likes

So buy a new drill bit. Not all drill bits are created equal. JB isn’t going to do anything. At this point you either need to fix it the right way, or buy a new motor.

1 Like