Mountainboard Build

Yes, the focbox bldc tool? I downloaded what was given to me in the confirmation e-mail.

I’m On mobile right now so I cant confirm your link matches what I downloaded.

If it looks like the BLDC tool, it most likely is the one for the single Focbox. The tool for the Unity looks like the VESC tool.

Intresting. Well I definitely did not buy the singular Focbox lol. In which case they sent me the wrong link. I’ll double check when I can, and will try your link.

Thanks! That would have caused me a good deal of confusion later on!

1 Like

I have two new members to my little crew!

Today my Trampa board came. (That shipping was fast!) Put it together (which took longer then needed thanks to my failure to realize that four of the washers were smaller then all the others :laughing: )

It feels so nice to strap the board on. Super secure. I can tell it will be a whole diffrent experience compared to my longboard. 17ply was definitely the way to go.

Picture of it beside my longboard.

20190204_175918 Excuse the mess, the package caught me while i was in the middle of rearranging the workshop (aka my bedroom)

Super excited!!

Also managed to pick up the ender 3 off bangood for 170 bucks. Also got a glass plate. Still waiting on the abs and pla filliment.

I was double sure to make sure nothing was bent or leaning one way or another, and that all the wheels were adjusted just so.

Not only will I be able to create the perfect enclousures for my focbox and batteries, but I know I can find some other things to print Custom phone case would be one of them!

20190204_180015

(More mess :sweat_smile::roll_eyes:)

5 Likes

I’m about to PM you with every upgrade for that printer you should start printing! You won’t be disappointed. I love mine and it’s already payed for itself. Good call on the glass bed it’s phenomenal

2 Likes

Please do! I already have a list of upgrades (printable and not) i wish to do before printing anything else. Including the fan cover.

Throw me a list. Maybe I have missed something. You would deff know what I need, more then I do. :+1:

1 Like

Hi, maybe there is something from my Mountain board built experience that is "helpfool "

I started in october, reading and getting parts. And didn’t read enough , lol Wanted to use my MBS Comp 95 I was riding for some years, just walking up the hills… Here is what Ive got.

• 2 Motor Turingy 5035 125kv ( it was a recommendation here from esk8 forum builder)
  • 2 zippy lipo 5000 40c in serie = 10C
  • mountain board mbs comp95, 8’’ wheels,
  • 72 teeth wheel side, 16 motor side, chain driven ( all from electric scooter parts.com, good stuff) But 72 Teeth are little to big in diameter for 8" wheels , one reason I would upgrade to 9" rear wheels ( as you can see in the last picture )
  • unity ( needed to buy a cheap laptop because the IOS experimental version is not working here )

Base line is, Im 150 lbs, board is 13kg, Range on paved road is 25 km, with max speed 34km/h

*on trail and gravel with elevation and carving Im down to 16-18 km Range These motors are definitely to weak and torque is not enough . I ordered last weekend the sk8 6374 - 149kv, those will boost my set up until my old knees shaking and my already 360 smile changes to 720 degree smile,lol

Also the old matrix pro Truck is not ideal , Ive tried different egg shocks . But probably ending up buying better Trucks including better more durable top truck hangers. But this will include new motor mount and my budget is zero now lol I definitely like chain driven, a bit noisy , but it just works and doesn’t care about dirt . Second, I would definitely think about where and what I wanna ride - regarding the gearing and the motor rpm. Using a good range calculator is smart . Also I wasn’t really paying attention to the weight whit my built until I did some 17 degree roads uphill- so for me upgrades and changes will include some thoughts about saving weight . This includes batteries. Also Im tempted to upgrade to 9 inch wheels, because even with the battery pack on the to - clearance is not as much as I thought. But this upgrade brings lots of extra weight with more rubber in the tires And BTW - I would NOT use anything else as the unity. Ok , its hilarious and very committing to by a Laptop extra for my board - no regrets “Meister Nadelöhr” if you have detail questions about my built … I would love to share IMG_1698 IMG_1567 IMG_1678IMG_1672![IMG_1753|690x459]

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that! I have done a ton of reading (Heck, 17 hours of reading just in the past 7 days since I joined the forum. Imagine all the reading that has gone on before joining, as well as on other forums and threads :joy: No doubt days worth of reading time. Maybe even a week.) But that is time I will get back in great rides and sharing pics. Everyone is SUPER nice here. Joining the eSk8 forum was one of the best decisions :+1:

Upgrading from 5035 motors to 6374 motors will be a HUGE jump in power and speed. You are going to have TONS of fun on those! Just do not hurt yourself. You need to stay in once piece so you can keep your 720 degree smile!! :smile: Saving weight will be the least of your worries. No hill will be too steep!

I saw in the picture! The 72 teeth pulley is almost as big as the wheel :grimacing: Maybe you can just take the tire off and use the chain as a tank wheel!! :rofl: I joke, do not do that lol.

Indeed. I have read the pros and cons to chains and belts. I like the quietness of belts, as well as there is no need to oil them! Belt pullies are also much smaller because the teeth are smaller unlike chain pullies. I am conscious of not wanting my belt to be to low and knock against rocks and things.

I definitely like the 8" wheels. They are not to big and not to small for what I will be using them for! I just hope they will not get popped easily by all the dry thorny weeds that grow around in the fields here :grimacing:

Haha! At least you got a new laptop out of it! I need a new laptop myself :wink: The one I have right now is 5 years old and very very slow! Right now I use my PC.

Keep me updated! Let me know of your thoughts when you get those new motors!! I am excited for you :smile: :call_me_hand:

1 Like

That’s already a very very good weight. My quad is 25kg and the dual is 13kg too but with minimal battery I can add and belt drive.

1 Like

A couple more things I would like to share from my first built ( survived and got some insane fun with some other sport activities, from the darwin law perspective until now ,with 56 of age - I know recovery time is not fun and sucks) So, the motor mount with both motors creates a rotating force around the truck while excellerating or braking . Also with chain drive train , wear of the chain and playing with different sprockets - the motor mount need to be adjustable . The motor mount I bought turned out a little bit flimsy and " mickey mouse" , the screws are not meant to use for adjustments, they are "mickey mouse " too. So I customized the motor mount , drilled new holes, replaced screws and added a reinforcement . I wanted to tension the chain while the wheels are on - makes sense to me . Using screws with allen key doesn’t allow this , because the wheel is in the way.

Next thing is the safety switch pull plug , in case Im flying of the board , me attached with a line to this plug would cut off the power. I made this out of a XT90 spark connector. In mind that I have also a MAX Blade Fuse 50A.All connections are precise soldered! After three test rides( anytime I changed batteries I closed the circuit last with this xT90 antispark plug) this XT 90 just blew off with majestic smoke. some detail pics here. If any input - please . IMG_1676 thats the first reinforcement test

DSCN4021 The screw head is on the wheel side for an allan key :/) I drilled new holes and changed the screws. IMG_1675 So I can adjust the chain tension with mounted wheel.

3 Likes

Hmm. I never thought much of this before. You are right. With bigger ties, a bigger load, and a longer distance between the motor and the tire, there will no doubt be much bigger forces then I am used to dealing with in terms of motor mounts. I like your reinforcement! Looks super sturdy :slight_smile:

Smart move with drilling new holes for the chain adjustment. Seem’s a bit funny the motor mount had the screws facing outward on a MTB. There ought to be plenty of space between the tires to get an allen key or ratchet down in there :smile: Well done! :+1:

thanks for your :+1: BTW - excellent idea taking the wheels of and riding on the sprockets and chain, its like a tank than so much traction :rofl: , way better than any wheel in this freezing weather lol

one thing I remember that I never thought about when I picked and ordered the motor mount … The width between both motor mount plates at the motor mount frame. I wanted the wheel sprockets as close to the Tire as much as possible ( nothing gets stuck in there, and keeping the rotational force as close to the hub as possible . ( running the twistar hubs, they were on my board , light weight and seam durable - they seam to work) thats why I put on the outside a counter plate (all aluminum) for reinforcement. Also I wanted the motor sprocket as close to the motor mounting plate - less as possible force to the motor bearings. ( as curious as me the fool is - before I mounted the motor , I took the motor apart and was surprised - its a relatively heavy motor 745g the 6374 149kv is 937g, but the seating for the big bearing is kind of plastic … so I decided to extent the width of the motor mount a bit .

1 Like

I would be lying if I said I had not considered moving a board in other ways, tank treads being one of them :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely there is a way to make a board for the snow :joy:

And oo, nice! How are the 6374s treating you? Too fast and powerful? I hope you are not in a hospital! haha

Small little build update.

Ender 3 is up and ready to work!

After a bit of bed leveling Just finished it’s first print; the little XYZ test cube! (pencil for size reference) 20190208_171806

Came out perfect! (To me at least. Being a newbie I wouldn’t know what good and perfect was) Everything is sharp and smooth though! :slight_smile:

Many thanks to @venom121212 for his helpful Ender 3 advice! Also Filament Friday and various other youtubers

Now to test and dial in any stringing…

2 Likes

Necessary pass through thank you to @landonkun for originally hooking me up. And the torch passes on!

2 Likes

First try with the stringing test

20190208_181713

Passed with flying colors! :slightly_smiling_face: Just a 3 or four tiny tiny little blobs on the inside face of the right post. No stringing at all.

No z-hop enabled. Combing enable within infill.

2 Likes

Quick note, you’ll do your vescs a disservice if the heatsink is not in contact with moving air. Depends on how hard or steep you ride, but my dual suffered from thermal throttling in an enclosure. The performance difference was big.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! VESC cooling is definitely something I will be conscious about. Especially with this build which may have the ability to demand more amperage draw through the VESC. (And considering the enclosure will be made of a meltable material) I will be designing an enclosure that will allow for as much airflow as I can manage while keeping it semi-water resistant :slight_smile: Likely a single, or dual PC fans that that pull air through the enclosure over the heatsinks. Perhaps I can add some heatsinks to the bottom of the FOcBox as well.

1 Like

Im not in the hospital( knock on wood), in my workshop ( old barn- Im ready for summer) Regarding the cooling for the motor controller, I put a tube full of “Metal oxideThermal CPU compound heatsink” underneath my Focbox unity to transfer any heat to the metal plate where the unity is sitting on. . 10 bucks at the computer store , I think worth it. 32%20AM

Your printer is very cool. did you picked it up new or used? What do you think about durability of those printed parts?

Ive got my new motors , they are longer in the tube and the higer rpm’s - my mounted wheel sprocket is not balanced enough . it wobbles too much. I took everything apart and let my monkey brain smoke how to solve this. Its snowing outside anyway, lol I would appreciate your posts about the printer projects and how they turn out .

1 Like

Ok, additional note to my heatsink paste . My unity is in a plastic box.And thinking how to transport the heat outside. So I put a aluminum plate inside the plastic box and screwed this on a aluminum ( exposed to moving air) with two bigger countersunk screws . And put the CPU paste between my unity and the aluminum plate inside of my box . So I feel prety confident that there is a direct contact to moving air 56896350553__CACE78B9-52D3-4507-A79C-53665962BBF7 /Users/surfstefan/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2019/01/12/20190112-200023/kIfsZQ4QRSyTnJNAIOqAIA/56896350553__CACE78B9-52D3-4507-A79C-53665962BBF7.jpg

2 Likes