Mounting your Enclosure

Guys I can’t seem to find any info on how to mount enclosures to carbon fiber. I got no issue drilling into it and installing self tapping thread inserts but I’m afraid that carbon fiber might not behave like wood and that may ruin the board. I’m pretty hellbent on doing a carbon fiber deck but I need to make sure I can enclose it properly.

1 Like

@ApexMONSTER Heres the link to the thread you seek [Click me ](https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/best-way-to-attach-enclosure-to-carbon-fibre-deck/17039/

2 Likes

Using this method to mount my enclosure and all was well until I tried to screw in the insert. I don’t know why but it just shredded the deck. Any clue why?

IMG_20190319_172652

I pretty much just destroyed my deck trying to mount my enclosure this way and I’m really bummed about it. Don’t even know what I did wrong. :slightly_frowning_face:

Which inserts did you use? I drill the hole then countersink slightly to stop the top sheet busting out. image

12 Likes

IMG_20190319_182748

Any chance this deck I got is old and dried out? Seems to crack so easy :confused:

I just need advice as how to move forward now :frowning: I can’t get the inserts back out but they are terrible.

Its possible you didnt drill a big enough hole for the insert… I start small then ream up each hole if it doesnt go.in with ease… So if the whole was a drill bit to small as it digs in it splits the wood to make.space as you force it.in…instead of digging threads for an appropriately sized hole

I used a 1/4 inch drill but just like mentioned. The inserts are also the exact same inserts mentioned. Any bigger hole and it would be too big

What tool did you use to insert those?

If theyre in theyre in… Can u still see damge once you lay the case on top? If not then no one will ever know… Only way i can.think of getting em out would be to loctite screws in and then remove once the glue dries

Hex t wrench like metioned above

I really think it might be the deck

IMG_20190319_183830_1

Sorry, didn’t see that mentioned. Try soft wood inserts instead. If the deck is that dried out, that’ll cut through nicely. Also, make sure you’re putting a shit ton of pressure on the inserts while inserting. You have to make them cut through.

Not saying you didn’t, just offering tips.

1 Like

@ryansinatra, what I usually do is, go a bit inside and then backup, go inside a little bit more and then backup. Repeat this process until all the way in.Try this on a different piece of wood, before you try on the board again.

But what should I do about all the ruined ones now :sweat_smile: haha. I can’t get a different deck… They don’t make them anymore.

And the holes in the enclosure already match up to the ruined spots

Woodfiller or epoxy and then use bigger inserts for soft wood. Those hardwood threads are too close for your deck and are boreing the wood out.

1 Like

Any idea how I can get the inserts out? I was thinking wood filler and sanding yeah