My diy board was destroyed today!

Huh? Most production boards are not illegal in CA. Some are illegal, but most fall within the legal realm. Even those that have higher than legal wattage ratings are okay simply because it’s impossible to enforce.

2 Likes

I’m just going straight off this thread

not aware if the laws been changed recently.

Near the middle says maximum speed of 20mph. While its true no cop is gonna pull you over and check out your 18650 cells, it could be bad though if you somehow end up in a courtroom situation which is entirely possible given what happened to quietbun.

yea that’s why nearly all mfg’s limit their speed, but really no one’s gonna bust you for going 22mph either. Also, the law, IIRC, only applies the wattage limit at the motors, not discharge potential or watt hours of a pack.

Yea I have yet to see anyone get pulled over in SF for riding their board. Most cops don’t even give a second glance. How you find yourself in a courtroom is a different matter though.

What I’m saying is if someone finds themselves in a courtroom talking with a judge, they might refer to the law and see it stating max speed 20mph while boosted and evolve are blatantly advertising 22mph+ top speed. I’ve never been in a courtroom so I don’t know how closely judges follow the law or how lenient they are.

Makes me wonder what happened to the guy in this thread

It’s not illegal to have a board that goes over 20mph though, it’s only illegal to go 20mph. Like cars they can go much faster than our speed limits, whether or not you do determines whether or not you’re breaking the law.

2 Likes

Gonna quote evoheyax

The law mentions the design of the board based on whether or not it is capable of 20mph+, drawing a line between electric skateboard or motorized skateboard (which is illegal apparently).

ah guess I remembered wrong. There are a lot of boards that fit the bill (literally) though. Riptide, Meepo, Genesis/Koowheel. The cheaper boards should fall within legality.

Those trains are on market, also embarcadero, I was on market and I saw an ambulance and fire truck behind me. I’m not sure if it was for this accident but just after that one street over I no doubt was being stalked by cops! They pulled over waited for me to pass and then pulled right behind me. I just followed the rules as if I was a car. I’ve never seen that before, it definitely was odd. Probably a coincidence.

Best solution for me is not to ride in the city, or any place with a lot of people/traffic.

Yep, I’ve been following traffic rule, stop and yield to pedestrians. I always ride below 17mph. Thankfully the speed was slow and no one was hurt. We tried our best to put out the fire before the firetruck came. This is unfortunate, and I spoke to city Train authority, police and the Fire Fighter. There was no issue, or ticket of any traffic violation. My post was to raise concern about losing control during ride, and potential accident.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue, but with wired thumb throttle controls, in some cases damaging permanently the adc pins of the microcontroller. It was because of voltage spikes. I suggest not riding a vehicle without the skills/means to control it offline.

The dang Market Street in San Francisco is a burial site for skateboarders. This is the second mishap this week. I just saw a video post of a local e-boarder eating his teeth on Market’s uneven 150-year old-pave-street car-rail-crissxcrossed-reef looking surface.

That cryo is an insensible dude. (but hey quietbun, if you want to get rid of them flies :bee: I wouldn’t be mad if you give me a call) :innocent:

1 Like

Yea you dont realise how shitty the roads really are until you ride an esk8. I actually had a close encounter like this too on third street because of an elevated crack in the middle of the road that caused me to get thrown off. Thankfully my board flew into the middle inbetween the two tracks near the platform and the only damage was to the nose of the board.

3 Likes

That sucks man i know how much it can hurt spending so much time effort and money on a project only to see it go just like that its happened to me with Cars. Just be glad you are alive and well to keep going and making new projects that are better than ever!

it did sound like a remote problem in hindsight it may have worked again if you powered down the remote and back on again while still on the board but things happen so fast that if you havnt already thought about what to do in a situation by the time you figure it out its too late. Its scary because no amount of foot braking or sliding would have stopped the board.

My two main boards uses the Raptor 1 deck where the power button in on top of the deck. Maybe having it is not a bad design after all since that would’ve prevent this runoff if you reach down and turn the board off.

3 Likes

Also note the magic word “averaging” — so if you have dual 7000 watt motors but an average of your power on your trip is under 1000W then you are okay. The average will almost always be under 1000W. Especially if you get technical and include the times when you apply brakes as negative wattage, which technically, it is.

1 Like

yea i have a raptor too and my foot never turns off the board while riding and my DIY drop deck board has the switch on the right hand side of the encloser so i can reach down and shut it off too.

It might be time to start talking about a deadman sensor on the boards, so when you come off they immediately (or after a short delay) brake. I had a runaway too, which fortunately just immolated itself on a chain-link fence.

Because my boards are weird and have an aluminum frame it was easy to put one on by putting a pressure sensor and some foam between the frame and the wood. Then when you come off the board the wood de-flexes and the sensor knows that I’m not on the board anymore. Of course this was a pain in the ass for testing so I don’t currently have it turned on in the code. But I should.

On the regular decks that most of you run it’s a bit harder but I bet there’s something in the interaction between the battery case and the deck that you could take advantage of.

We should seriously consider this for all our builds because as said above, if we get too many fires or somebody gets hit by a runaway board we’re likely to get banned.

1 Like

It sounds like how cruise control would behave? Sorry for your loss :frowning:

Slightly off topic. I was watching the news this morning. There’s another fire in California. It was started by a motorcycle that crash and let up dry brush and now it’s a huge fire.

Maybe we should all carry a backpack with a small fire extinguisher when riding…or just for those long rides. :thinking: I would hate if my hard work bursted into flames or inconvenient others with said fire

1 Like