My Dual 6374 Trampa Street Setup experience (from previous Boosted v2)

Well… to start. It’s fast. Like REALLY fast. This thing from a power perspective makes the v2 boosted board see like a joke. However there are some things that I miss about the Boosted board which are as follows…

1. Silent operation. These 6374 are super loud as I’m running them in BLDC hybrid mode (@Ackmaniac watt mode no reverse). From what many have said FOC mode is a gamble on 12S from a reliability perspective.

2. Smoothness on acceleration. With the boosted board it was unbelieveably predictable. If you moved the thumbwheel 20% it would immediately jump up to speed and stay exactly that speed until you have it another input. In watt mode on this new board it is like the speed just keeps ramping up as you give it an input. Then you will be accelerating progressively then out of nowhere I guess you get into the area where the motor becomes really efficient and it rockets you forward. so hard and abrupt it is hard to stay on the board…

Dual 6374s are just awesomely insane. If your VESCs can handle it you could probably set it up for 6000W which is 3x the power of a dual+. Personally I wouldn’t gamble with FOC but I like the sound anyways so it’s not a big deal.

For the smoothness I’ve heard that you can fine tune the acceleration curve with ackmaniacs firmware but I’ve never tried it so maybe someone else can chime in.

Also, post some pictures :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Check out Ackmaniac’s extended VESC firmware. It will let you set a throttle curve to be more sensitive at the lower end of input. Should help with your issue of holding speed constant.

Yeah but the problem is how do I determine exactly where I’m getting those non linear ramp ups? These places where the throttle curve has to be mellow will have to be very exact

Best way I can’ describe it is on my boosted car when you floor it everything is nice and linear then when full boost hits you jump a few hundred horsepower in just a tight RPM window… so when that happens you have to VERY precisely lift throttle the perfect amount to continue moving forward without having a smokehsow …

1 Like

Ohhhhh you’re talking about when the motors hit their higher efficiency point I think. I have dual 6355’s and I can feel that too but I’ve never tried to correct it. I imagine it’s a bigger issue with your much larger motors. Yeah sorry, I don’t have an answer to that one.

watt control is still current control. This is just how the control mode works. You will always ramp up to full duty cycle if given current overcomes load. I wouldn’t call it a downside of the mode, however, just a different way of accelerating. While Boosted’s controller controls’ speed, watt/current mode controls acceleration.

Gotcha so there’s is no getting around that really? I’m ok with adapting but this hard hit around 22mph is really brutal and uncontrollable even…[quote=“Jinra, post:6, topic:29716, full:true”] watt control is still current control. This is just how the control mode works. You will always ramp up to full duty cycle if given current overcomes load. I wouldn’t call it a downside of the mode, however, just a different way of accelerating. While Boosted’s controller controls’ speed, watt/current mode controls acceleration. [/quote]

The new VESC-Tool isn’t far away and three different types of throttle curves will let you adjust the setup perfectly. For FOC on a 4.xx hardware you want much lower KV. Personally I never had a single issue with FOC, using our low KV motors. Welcome to the club of high performance beast board riders. I hope you like the Carver as much as I do.

Frank

1 Like

Build your foot muscles, and just keep riding, you’ll eventually get used to it. Then you’ll want even more speed.

3 Likes

I have a Kaly built urban Trampa with two ailen 6564 170kv runningAckmaniac’s watt control on high torque settings in order to stay on the board i use ratchet strap bindings…

1 Like

The kick you are talking about doesn’t come from the control mode. It is noise on the current sensors at around 85% duty cycle. So the current reading isn’t correct. Which Vesc Do you use? The Focbox for example improves that a lot. And it shouldn’t exist anymore on the Vesc 6.

1 Like

Torque VESC

That’s the standard VESC 4.12. Think it also depends on the motors and maybe also wire length and wire routing. But i could be wrong. On my single drive with a old 4.10 VESC it is very noticable. And the duals it is less. But maybe check if the outing of our phase wires makes a difference.

The “boost” feature/issue seems like it is vesc related. I get it from vesc 4.12 and FOC box and from two different motors. 6355 / 190kv and a monster 300kv motor. When I used a torqueboards 12s esc on the 6355, no turbo effect, just regular old v8 naturally aspirated speed.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac any chance there is a way to mitigate this? Can you set the board up to stay under 85% duty cycle so tmwould never hit the area that would induce the noise into the system?

Also @trampa got any suggestions for setup to do high speeds? I’m 185lbs and have the 15ply street carver with the springs in the outer position on both front and back.

1 Like

There is a thread by @Jinra on adjusting acceleration with the max current ramp step. the default setting is .04. You can increase acceleration by increasing this value so I’m thinking that you could soften acceleration by lowering the value. But before doing anything, please read about it here:

2 Likes

Ad Dampas in the back. If its still not perfect, ad Dampas in the front. “Speed” is very subjective.

Frank

How are the dampas different than just tightening the springs in the back?

The springs should always have pre-tension. Usually you wind in the adjuster till it sits flush with the deck. The Dampas are absorbing shocks and sudden movements. It’s like in a car.

Frank