Hey guys. Few days ago I finish my first build and wanted to share this with you.
My e-longboard story starts when I was trying to find relatively light-weight but powerful electric scooter to change my old Xiaomi mijia m365.
So I see and buy koowheel Chinese board and was shocked because of so much fun and drive from it. But I don’t like some things in koowheel board
- Hub motors are pain in the ass. It’s very noisy on bad roads, it’s very hard and feels like I’m going on a Soviet union tank when driving on paving slabs roads
- This board is very solid and can’t be opened and/or customized
- Battery is changeable in theory, but there are almost no spare batteries, especially I can’t find batteries acceptable for airplane (below 100wh).
So I start to dig all the internet and this particular forum (thank you guys so much for all the information!!!)
And finally make my plan what I want
- Choose deck separately from electronics and wheels. Because when I rent some regular (not electric) longboards, I find that stiff decks more suitable for my weight (about 110kg)
- Direct drive motors. Because hub motors cheap and simple but hard and noisy, and belt- motors are too complicated as for me
- Changeable LiPo battery pack, because cheap, can be taken to airplane and I can buy some more to change it on the way if I need some more km on the way.
And finally my current build
- Arbor longboard deck. Stiff (zero flex), W concave. I just rent lot of longboards and this deck was the best on my mind
- Torque boards direct drive motors. Because it’s the best direct drive motors I can find. With huge amount of power.
- 110 mm wheels from the same torqueboards (it’s so soft!!)
- Torqueboards VESC * 2
- micro remote controller (I really dont like it, it feels so cheap in hand…)
- Torque boards vesc and lipo battery enclosures (very good ones)
- Flipsky bluetooth module (compatible with VESC tool mobile for android)
- 6s4200mah*2 battery packs from local RC models store.
- A lot of time in digging the internet and trying to solve a lot of problems, because I’m not a hardware guy at all.
I really like the result. Especially because it fits all I want. It weights about 12 km, can be taken with me anywhere in the world, even has bright headlight for dark night ridings))
What I want to improve in the future
- Change the controller. Something more comfortable in hand. Even koowheel board controller is way better than microcontroller.
- Maybe find a way to charge batteries without taking off enclosure, but not sure if I need this.
- Make it more waterproof
Can answer questions if any.