My first DIY build so far

Anyways, back to the original point of this post.

The TB VESCs are not a bad choice! If you can spend a bit more, you may be able to find a deal on some focboxes right now since they aren’t going to be making them anymore, but they may be out! They had them on sale for $99 but now their site/product page is down for it.

Its not really cutting a corner there, the FOCBOX has a nicely made case with an aluminium base plate for better heat dissipation as well, but the TB VESC will be able to run your 12s board fine.

1 Like

this is truth. 4.12’s are easily destroyed no matter the form factor or optimized componentry. this is why we were doing all of the classic no-nos on the unity beta 1.

@nuttyjeff some things not to do ever: throttle it up and down repeatedly on the bench slamming on the brakes; run detection with shorted phase leads; miswire the can bus; mis wire the receiver in split ppm configs or even single ppm configs; reverse polarity on main power

any of those things could destroy even a competent VESC 4.12 variant

5 Likes

If it can’t do this, I don’t trust it on the streets. This is the first thing I do. If something breaks, better on the bench than under me.

just about every 4.12 variant is susceptible to this, though focboxes seem pretty resistant to this type of abuse.

At 10s this isn’t an issue, even at 12s you will be fine with a good battery that can take the regen spikes.

While we are on the subject of your bench, I don’t think I have ever seen one of your builds. What’s your setup look like?

2 Likes

For a first build I think keeping things simple is the best option. Getting everything from one vendor and knowing it will all work together is golden. The hardest part of any build is getting components to be compatible. With @torqueboards that headache has been taken out of the equation and the gear is tried and tested with excellent back up. I regularly steer new guys towards Dexter’s kits because it is absolutely the best way to get on the road and get experience with DIY without causing mental breakdown. :grimacing: Great choices and make sure you get some pics uploaded when it starts to develop.

PS The evo deck is a beautiful thing.

5 Likes

Image result for popcorn gif

4 Likes

This is the last one I made. I’m currently working on a Hummie deck build

20181014_003123 10S6P 30Q dual FOCBOX

6 Likes

i’ve been running FOC on TB vesc on 10s with no problem.

also

I unknowingly did this when I was first setting up my board. luckily nothing broke, maybe cause im on 10sbut its good to know for the future. Thanks!

this is one of those that may or may not happen, but it does on occasion. there are reasons it could happen on the bench (unloaded) but not happen in the street (loaded) that i don’t fully understand but have witnessed. and like @chaka said its mostly to do with regen spikes.

because of that it mostly affects inferior products that haven’t been treated to handle it with better or bigger components but can occasionally happen on even a nice piece of kit because not everything comes off a line perfect.

I just fried a traditional 4.12 about a month ago doing this exact thing on an old set of carvons.

1 Like

Sure hope it works on the street :joy: if a car pulls out in front of me I need to be able to slam the brakes hard. REALLY HARD.

2 Likes

someone likes the gen 1 deck?? :eyes:

:rofl: it just looks so… I dont know how to describe it

That’s the gen 2 deck. It’s long enough to fit 60 cells :slight_smile: I don’t like the flex though… for carbon, I expected less flex

1 Like

really :thinking: gen 1 and 2 look identical to me then :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you think it would flex with a rider weight of 160lbs?

Yes​

1 Like

@dareno Thank you so much, this is probably the second comment that isn’t about the debate above :joy:. This is very true about how I want to go with torque boards, becuase I know that everything will fit together so I don’t have to worry about soldering because I don’t know how to do it. I don’t really have a budget, apart from sonthing excessive, but I don’t want to be buying parts again because I stuffed up, if I know it will work it’s one less thing to go wrong.

Perfect choice for a first build and think I’m going to get me some of those drives. Make a perfect lightweight board and with the tb back up a good safe bet. Good luck my friend.

1 Like

I make enclosures too and I can do custom enclosures if the design is reasonable and I can reuse it for other customers.

I would suggest the 75kv motors and not the 90kv motors because they will have stronger brakes.

Instead of using CANBUS, I personally recommend using the Mini Remote with 2 receivers. Not “split PPM” but two independent ESCs, each connected directly to a receiver.