My Landwheel V4 Build

We are deeply appreciate Mike @Mikenopolis, Paul @pkasanda and Fred @Technotron for some suggestions. They help us a lot, we are keep working the perfect products for you guys.

Jason

Jason,

That’s great to hear. I think everyone, including Landwheel, will ultimately benefit from this approach :slight_smile:

One more question: I noticed yesterday that towards the end of my batter, my drive beeped once and it felt as though throttle cut out completely for a sec. It was uphill, but I can’t be a 100% sure. Mike, Paul: have you guys noticed anything like that while riding?

Hi Fred,

For your question, we’d like to explain two points here:

1.Battery protection: when you accelerate at low battery, if the battery voltage lower than 33V, it will beep alert and cut out for protection.

2 Overcurrent protection: when you suddenly full speed on uphill, if the current is over 65A, it will alert and cut off to protect the board.

Landwheel

That’s excellent to know, thanks for the response!

Perhaps it can be changed so that the motors slow down and not cut out completely? Because I literally fell off the board :wink: (thank god it was uphill hehe).

Jason:

Techtronic’s suggestion to reduce power instead of cutting power seems very important. I don’t have a V4 to test at this point. However I don’t need to be riding a board to agree that a power cut off can be very dangerous.

Please bring this to the attention of your software programmers. Techtronic seems to have done some very hard testing. The recommendations that come out of that testing should be treated with the highest interest and priority.

2 Likes

My V3 beeped and cut out on me at a slight downward slope while I was holding a cup of hot coffee. foot braked and lost a bit of my black gold. I understand the need to protect the electronics due to over current, but 100% cut off is dangerous. Landwheel just needs to imagine this product with their loved ones on it to see the potential dangers. My car had a TPS Sensor that failed a few years back, when it fails, the car was limited to 25mph with extremely slow acceleration which is what they used as protection. Landwheel should go with that approach.

My paypal is [email protected]. You will send me $1 Million US Dollars…is it working?

1 Like

Totally :wink:

I asked Jason to have a look at the thread once more to read our comments on reducing power VS cutting power, and why reducing power would be so much more preferable and safe!

Received my shredlights today and added them to my deck. Damn they are bright, nice!

Bought a V4 from Monica, I agree with the brakes, it could be a software problem, it could also be hardware (the potentiometer in the controller may not have a lot of degrees of change on the brakes side). Ether way is there I way I can contact Jason and put my name on a list? If they update the board to fix this major issue, I don’t mind swaping and resoldering the mainboard myself, as I wouldn’t have the money to buy another booster from them.

Hi All,

New to the forum here. I’ve done about 100 miles now on a Landwheel and agree with some of the points listed above, mainly that the braking is too sensitive, but after some practise it’s actually not too bad. If you throw you weight back and pop your leading hip a bit you can stop dead in a few meters… it’s pretty rad!

Feel free to ask my any questions about it.

I must add though, that its INSANELY quick. I’ve clocked it at 43kph on gps while commuting to work in central London.

I’ve put it on a Loaded Icarus (Flex 1) and I tend to keep it in the slower mode.

It’s not without it quicks though, at full speed on a less than full battery it cuts out to protect the battery, i’m not sure if this is the BMS cutting the power or the board, I suspect the board, but when you are leaning in counter the acceleration, immediate loss of power really get the adrenaline up and pants suitably soiled.

3 Likes

Additionally, if anyone in London wants a go I’m in Victoria park a few evenings a week.

Very cool deck, been looking at a deck with some nice flex myself! I think Landwheel has some great potential, with my only main grips being:

• brakes (a switch to reverse current braking a seems around the corner, as I will receive tracking for a new circuit board tomorrow)
  • power cut off, as opposed to gradual power reduction. I have forwarded the information to Jason, not sure if he’s read it yet.

Will keep you posted!

Edit: are there more budget friendly longboard decks with some nice flex out there? :grimacing:

Edit 2: how did you mount the drive assembly through the drop through deck? Did you disassemble the drive first, mounted, then reconnect the motors?

@Landwheel Im sure if you solved the brake problem, a lot more people could be attracted to the product, if everything works as it should! Otherwise, it is a big risk to someone who would plan to resell these ‘booster packs’ … due to dangers of using such product for consumers.

@Technotron Thanks for giving insight on how things are going on…

I like the general idea of ‘attachable’ esk8 drive / battery kit… but the controller / bms issue does sound like a hazard :\

No worries, Jason has contacted me about their new circuit board revision with improved brakes over the entire lower range of the remote. They’ve sent me a unit and I will test it extensively once it arrives (and obviously share my thoughts with you).

Jason also told me he likes the idea of reduced power vs total cutoff, I am sure they will implement this too at some stage and keep us posted in the meantime.

I have to admit their responsiveness is second to none. They take us seriously and they really want to make it a much better product and improve their product.

1 Like

now if only they would ditch the LiPo pack it would be great. That part really scares me

As long as we handle them with care, they shouldn’t be a problem. I like the higher C rating of lipos and the power they discharge compared to most li-ion batteries. Not saying they are better per se, but all these lithium batteries require some care… a certain risk is always involved.

1 Like

Technotron:

Glad to hear you have a board upgrade en-route. Two V4’s should arrive for me this week with the e-Brake programming. Jason just gave me a tracking number for a replacement circuit board with the new brake programming. I plan to do some side by side testing against my two boosted boards and perhaps get some drone footage. I’m still curious if you are a lighter rider (under 200) or a heavier rider like myself and Mike. I’m wondering if I should have my son do most of the testing for a few weeks before I subject the V4 to my own weight.

Navagor: Welcome aboard. Similar question. 45 Km/h. Wow. How much weight was on the board when you did that?

Mike: Your paypal comment to Technotron was really funny.

Cheers man, glad to hear yours are enroute. I myself am about 85kg, what’s that… a little under 200 pounds?

Just got confirmation from DHL that mine are in transit and should be delivered on Friday, so I am hoping to start testing in the weekend if the weather permits.

Technotron: Thanks for the rider weight info.

All: So while we wait for the reprogrammed V4 boards, I’d like to recap the various product improvement suggestions that have appeared recently in this forum, plus some of my own suggestions that I’ve pitched privately to Landwheel:

1. Reduced Power instead of power cut-off to protect the battery (supported by all)

2. In concert with the reverse current for braking, I’ve proposed two items: a) Allow the brake to transition immediately from braking and into reverse allowing for operation similar to a boosted board. Operationally, this is very useful for backing away from an intersection if you overshoot the white line. b) To protect the battery against overcharge during downhill braking, don’t cut the power to the brakes (as is the case for a boosted board). Instead, switch to a hybrid braking mode where one wheel uses e-braking at say max 55% power and the other wheel uses reverse current. The E-brake should consume power to counteract the reverse current braking effect of forcing current into the battery – With the objective of a net zero charge going into the battery and no loss of braking on a potentially dangerous slope.

3. I’ve proposed longer pivot bolts to allow for more adjustment of the trucks for tighter and more responsive steering. Those suggestions were based on the V2. I’m not sure if the bolt length increased for V3/V4.

4. Someone proposed upping the PU wheel diameter from 90 mm to 100 mm because there is not a lot of PU between the new larger diameter drive motors and the pavement. I thought that was an amazing suggestion that could also improve the durability and do a great deal to reduce the motor failure rate on rougher roads with heavier riders. I think the 100mm could be an optional upgrade with 90mm shipping by default to keep the base price in a sweet spot.

5. A number of posters have noted that the Landwheels have zero dust/water proofing for the circuit board and that this could be resolved with some strategically placed grommets and gaskets – even a few beads of silicone at assembly time could protect the circuit board from the elements. I’d like to see a battery overhang that squeezes a large o-ring between the underside of the battery overhang and the top surface of the chasis.

Landwheel has had a pretty generous replacement policy. For that to continue, better protection against the elements could save them an enormous amount of shipping and product replacement costs. It would also be a huge boost to the reliability reputation of the relaunched V4.

Mike, Technotron, Navgor, Others: Your thoughts?

2 Likes

Great suggestions right there, Paul!

1. Agreed!

a) Sounds useful, although I rarely ever use reverse. I honestly don’t see any downside to this if the transition is smooth. b) This would be great in theory, but it would also require some serious testing in order to get the balance with the applied e-brake.

1. They still seem pretty short, longer would indeed be better.

2. This is most definitely on my most-wanted list and something I was thinking to myself roughly 30 kilometers into using the drive. I just don’t see how the think PU layer will hold up much longer. The edges are already starting to chip off, thicker PU through different wheel diameter options would be more than welcome. Additionally, but not nearly as important: add a few color options, or at least add black PU as an option. Black goes with pretty much everything :slight_smile:

3. Isn’t it supposed to be water/dust proof, at least to some extent? I think the manual mentioned this… I have no clue though. Definitely some really great additions you mentioned there!