My obsession with idler pulleys

My take on idlers:

Side view:

Top view:

Bottom view:

Next motor mount is going to use 608’s and a longer belt.

14 Likes

LOL! We all know that beauty!

Dude, sweet!! What is all that?

this looks amazing =) love the tape no more loose phase wires at high speeds haha

I am using a “shoulder bolt”: socket cap, 8mm X 25mm smooth shaft, and m6 threads

Speed washers at the ends only, not between the bearings.

7 Likes

5 Likes

You can also use an 8mm hex bolt in a slotted hole for adjustment, needs a washer to provide a shoulder for a solid fit. That is basically what we use on our idler mount with some added lathe work to eliminate a speed ring and make the assembly a little more narrow in our more recent iterations. Belt looks really tight, it needn’t be. The extra tooth engagement allows us to run loose belts without stripping belts. Running loose belts with an idler provides a little more efficiency and longer belt life.

A smaller bearing should give you the slack you need since your idler is stationary. Nice to see idler’s become more mainstream. Wont be long before every mount on the market has one!

3 Likes

Im running super loose, and I agree, that’s the whole point of the pulley

4 Likes

@chaka I would love to see that! That’s exactly why I started this thread :joy:

I would like to run an idler but I don’t think I have room with the pneumatics.

2 Likes

Dude, Nice wheels!! Psychotillers? May be too big of a wheel… Maybe if you use a low-profile button-cap bolt?

Also, how do you like the @kaly motors? I want one!!

7" Evolve AT wheels and tires. I do however have a set of @psychotiller pneumatics and they are great. I could probably get away with using a button head bolt as long as the 1-2mm of belt extending past the bearing would be ok.

The @Kaly motors are great!

1 Like

@guyguy took some good shots of our motor mounts disassembled and posted them somewhere. Our motor mount is a bit different now and made specifically for Ronin Cast trucks, might be able to modify some Rogue trucks and use it on those also. The mechanics of the system are basically the same. I am also working towards a similar setup for trampa trucks.

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at your mounts for a while, They’re freakin’ sick!!! I really like the full-floating hub-type wheel pulley, seems like a design from the automotive industry. Rotational bearings are not best suited for thrust-bearing applications, and it appears that your design serves to eliminate the extra stress, no?

You could trying a 5mm hole with a bolt with a 6mm smooth shoulder, and a bearings that are 17mm or about the size of a dime. This could give you the room you need. A standard skate bearing are about 22mm with a 8mm bore. So about the size of a nickle. Ive been using coins to play around with my clearance, and see what fits. I’m planing on two pulleys, and it looks like 285 belt will work just fine.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone else reply to this, but for best efficiency only use the jockey wheel/ idler on the slack side of the belt.

This is a reverse mount, and as such, the pulley IS on the slack side. @Lawndart i have used the 626z bearings, and to be honest, the 608’s (skate bearings) afforded a better bend around the motor pulley with less intrusion in the driveline

Hey Pat, it makes it easier if you either reply to my response or tag my name so I get a alert, was kind of lucky I checked the thread again :slight_smile: In my response I replied to a specific post with one picture in particular. I have copied it bellow, maybe it is just me but doesn’t it look like it has two jockeys?

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/3X/4/d/4d5536b3104715ebaafc13966e526891af5b0101_1_690x388.jpg

Ye Irish Jockey system to be sure…

or maybe you are not responding to me?

1 Like

yup, it has two. theyre not applying much tension at all, jus helping tooth engagement a little on that 13t pulley. i was getting alot of slippage during breaking and acceleration, but now nothing.