My thoughts on RKP vs TKP

There’s a lot of great tkp trucks besides surfrodz guys…and the typical tkp rider doesn’t use surfrodz, weird freeride guys do though…or weirdos like me…try some of the other 20 tkp trucks, tune them and pay attention to them like they were shiny and machined for a moment and you’d be surprised…

2 Likes

I only mentioned those two because thier widths and there’s mounts available for them. But yeah there are more good tkp out there…

1 Like

Thanks, so TKP’s angle of axel is shallow and does not meet with king pin that not engaging bushing fully, and use indirect method of creating axis.Good to know

2 Likes

Some of my favorite tkp trucks, all worth a ride are: indy 169, ace 55 and 66, Avenue 169, surfrodz, Bennett vector 5inch, tracker axis, tracker RTS rear truck, and the Carver rear tkp as well…there’s many forged options as well, and indy makes a forged baseplate with hollow titanium axle and king pin. Avenues are super fun, lightweight and pump parks faster than any truck I have used, Ace carve harder than indy, and surfrodz is different and turns more so it needs big risers or tuning like carvers…one of the classic and best riding setups is the divy and turny Bennett vector 5 inch in front and the tracker RTS on the rear…its like the tkp version of having some dont trip poppies and is a great cheap introduction to real pumping setups…

7 Likes

I dont have much experience with tkp only tkp I have is avenue 9.5". this is really bomb. I put a little throttle and can start pumping so easy. I can probably go 50km range in sigle charge with pumping. so much fun.

Someone should try making a electric pumping board with hubmotor with these. just a hubmotor to push abit and start pumping

but I often go 30mph+ so Im ganna change to avenue rkp. cuz current set up make me sweat when I go fast.

2 Likes

I also love using TKP tricks for various applications, especially when I have a short board and I want a long true wheelbase (measured from axle to axle). Since we make bushings, we made the same shapes available for TKPs that we have for RKPs. We call them our “StreetSeries and they come in 2 heights. ShortStreet is .4” tall and Street is .5" tall. ShortStreet height include a Cone and Barrel where Street height includes a Cone, Barrel, FatCone and Chubby. TKP’s can be wedged and dewedged just like RKPs with similar benefits but I normally will only dewedge the rear since most TKP’s turn a lot already so I am just looking to deaden the rear a bit for higher speed stability. The differentiating factor between TKPs and RKPs is the pivot axis is not perpendicular to the kingpin on TKPs. For more information, have a look at: http://www.riptidesports.com/streetseries-bushings/

8 Likes

Does this mean better to go with the surfrodz tkps as long as you stay under 20mph otherwise the wobbles become difficult to manage past that speed as compared to the surfrodz rkps?

There are also double kingpin trucks like the Gullwing Sidewinder and the Evolve Supercarve. It’s a RKP, TKP, and DKP game.

2 Likes

woah never seen or heard of DKPs. getting weird results when Googling it lol. The double kingpin does look very unique but I’ve wondered how it performs in terms of carving and stability at speed which is what I’m looking for. @mmaner really like the SR TKPs for good carving experience(which I thought was generally better on TKPs) as long as you ride under 20mph.

I figured TSR KPs could be just as carvy as those with softer bushings? then maybe tighten them abit more when planning to go faster. Any thoughts on that?

My rule of thumb is cruisers and carver’s get TKPs, fast boards get RKPs.

You can have a cruiser and carver with RKPs but they won’t carve as hard. You can have a fast board with TKPs but it won’t be as fast.

A lot of it has to do with how you ride, how tight the king pin is, your bushing setup, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I wanted a good versatile setup that allows fun carving but won’t get me worried when going abit faster.

I’ll probably go for rkps then get some really soft bushings to maximize the carve out of them. I hear the stock SRs are so-so so I may swap them out for something softer later on. Getting wide trucks on the 200mm rkps should help with stability as wel though I recall reading that stability on rkps decreases when the length increases? Not sure why as I figured that wider trucks should be more stable overall regardless of the truck type

I don’t want to ruffle any feathers here, but Double Kingpin trucks are shit. They don’t out-perform any trucks. None. Unless you are looking for trucks that over-steer and washout. Then, by all means -Do your dance

16 Likes

The dkp dance… QDYXASCjiW568

10 Likes

preach it brotha!

1 Like

Planning second build and stuck between another set of RKP surfrodz and TKP. I found another set of used RKP trucks, just gotta talk the guy into shipping them to me. They are the 176mm not the 200mm. But I would think 6354s would still fit. But I’m tempted to try the TKP trucks still.

2 Likes

What kind of build is it going to be?

2 Likes

Mid range? 10s4. Shooting for 25-30mph . Unsure on deck just yet. Thinking moonshine rumrunner

3 Likes

I would lean TKPs, especially simce you already have a RKP build going

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was planning, I just came across these used ones and it made me rethink it. Maybe I’ll buy both lol.

1 Like

The Rumruner is a awesome deck! Was thinking about getting one electrified aswell. Now I can just sit back and see how it turns out :wink:

1 Like