My VESC blew up!

and so on esk8.de vesc

Iā€™ve had no issues with enertion vescs on foc at 10s. I believe that a big factor of this is hitting the erpm limit that chaka talks about. 10s and 190kv motors seem to work fine for me but I wouldnā€™t expect 10s and 230kv motors. Iā€™m sure manufacturing quality helps prevent issues with soldering etc.

I was using 190kv, you may get lucky or you may not, itā€™s a gamble as nobody really understands what exatly happens and thatā€™s why you are never be save to use FOC.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using TB vesc, v4.12. Will I be fine running FOC at 12S?

FOC is always like russian roulette. It works or it fails. Some people are lucky, some are not.

BLDC will be completely reliable though?

Does anyone have input on the % torque gain from FOC, and the %noise reduction from FOC?

Can you please point me towards actual science behind your statement?

I definitely would not try it with TBs vest.( again ) They will not contact you back . But my Enetion vest on 9s 149kv has ran flawlessly for a couple months but I probably wonā€™t change out of it. :hatched_chick::hatched_chick::hatched_chick::hatched_chick:

when nobody knows why it fails - why should there be actual evidence written down somewhere?

1 Like

More statistics than science at this point.

1 Like

Could you clarify what the ā€œproper resetā€ procedure is for this? I want to try FOC (on 8-10s), and if itā€™s not awesome iā€™ll switch back to BLDC. Curious on the specific steps to do this safely to avoid killing the VESC or DRV chip.

Vedder.se forum - post and ask. Those guys are the experts, with Ben also looking and possibly answering.

Re-flash the firmware.

3 Likes

12s with mono 190kv on vesc4.12 from diyelectricskateboard should be fine ? Or am I risking my vesc ?

Donā€™t use FOC on diyelectricskateboard vescs and I donā€™t ever recommend 12S on VESC but lots of folks do it

Is there any consensus on using FOC on the VESC 6.4 or are they better designed to handle it.

Iā€™m running 12S foc on my board on 2 focboxes, and I havenā€™t had any issues yet. Full no-load spin up only brings me to about 54k erpm. This is with 190kv tb motors, sensored.

No amount of ā€œI did it and Iā€™m fineā€ will get me to risk my body. All those parts have manufacturing tolerances of like 10% for every single piece. Running it a the razor-edge of whatā€™s possible, maybe, is not on my agenda for something that can throw me on the roadway at speed if it fails. You can do it all you want. But please donā€™t act like itā€™s not dangerous.

2 Likes

Almost all my boards are 12s, all working perfect. More voltage less current flowing through all the components, everything works cooler, the acceleration is impressive every time o push it to the limit. Focboxes working like a clock, VESC6 also working reliably. I think the respect/fear for 12s is overrated

1 Like

I had one of those TB Vescā€™s blown up on me too. I was trying to do UART communication with Arduino and after using BLDC to manually set current it turned into a firework. :fireworks: :disappointed_relieved: I then talked to DIY and they sent me a full replacement for $80 free shipping and I didnā€™t even have warrenty on the one I blew up. :grinning:

@luckleineschaars It sounds like you may have incorrectly configured a setting during FOC setup. I was testing a 4.12 the other day and figured Iā€™d see what would happen if I tried to spin a big motor at 15000 RPM and blew it up pretty similar to this. However, this is repairable and I can repair it for you. I run a repair service for VESCs out of Florida. Let me know if youā€™re interested

JK this was over a year ago :joy: