Need help on Altered fantom upgrade

So I recently bought the enertion motor mount with a bunch of other mechanical and electrical parts (such as 3d printed pulleys, 9mm belt, batteries, motor, ABEC knockoff wheels). I was following this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electri … Materials/

The whole thing was a mess!!! The motor mount did not work very well with my mechanical setup:

• There was also too much slack on the belt
  • The trucks shaft wasnt long enough so there was friction on the wheel and not enough room for the nut on the truck axle. etc etc…
  • The motor wasnt really screwed onto the motor mount in a secure way and i had to drill new holes just to get it to screw on… but it STILL wasnt even that secure.

I knew id be commuting to school and the thing would fall apart sooner or later mid-trip. And i did not want to be there adjusting the infamous enertion motor mount with a wrench in the middle of manhattan that is well known to loosen with time as opposed to the welded motor mounts…

So i figured I’d scrap the whole thing, take the loss on the lithium ions, ESC, motor and the 3D printed pulleys and 9mm belt i had bought and either buy a hub motor to use with my ESC and batteries or buy the new ACTION BLINK S on INDIEGOGO (I know, I know, a cardinal sin for many on this forum)

I had an Altered children’s toy electric skateboard laying around that recently stopped working.

When it was working i was reluctant to take it apart because it was pretty much the only electric skateboard I had that ACTUALLY WORKED.

It was heavy with lead acid batteries… had a low weight limit of 120 lbs for kids… and only went 10mph… BUT IT WAS GREAT FOR GOING TO THE STORE TO GET GROCERIES!!!

After a while it stopped working… it wouldnt hold a charge… it wouldnt move when it was fully charged… it had lost a lot of its torque over the few months ive owned and abused it… so i figured i had nothing to lose but to take it apart… the motor mount had one of those convenient cases around it that protect the pulley and what not from gravel, rain, etc… and i managed to completely remove the existing motor and mount my TURNIGY In its place…

Much to my amazement the TURNIGY motor fits perfectly, and the shaft is lined up exactly where the previous childrens toy motor shaft was.

THIS MEANS that if I use the same wheel pulley and belt from the childrens toy, all i would need is the exact same motor pulley to put on my TURNIGY motor and there would be zero slack on the belt (the biggest issue on the custom board I am now eating the cost of the mechanical parts for)

The motor pulley from the Altered Fantom childrens toy is impossible to remove from the less powerful motor to transfer onto my TURNIGY as its sort of welded on as i guess they never thought anyone would ever modify it… I had to SAWZALL the entire shaft off of the motor itself… and now i just have a pulley with a stub of a shaft going through it… it seems to be all welded together like one solid piece… when i used one of those pulley puller tools to try to push the shaft out through the pulley it actually cracked part of the flange right off… (luckily flanges are useless lol) I then proceeded to try to drill a 6mm bore hole through the center of the pulley but its not completely straight so i think ill just have to buy the same pulley…

the childrens toy used a 15mm timing belt… and the pulleys have a lot more teeth spaced closer together… so the pulleys i got for my green abec wheels are 5mm pitch and are for a 9mm belt… so they are utterly INCOMPATIBLE so basically i need to buy a new MOTOR PULLEY… with the same diameter and pitch as the childrens toy one…

The Children’s toy motor pulley has 19 teeth and is about 17 mm in diameter and fits a 15mm belt. I would need a 6mm bore hold for the TURNIGY motor shaft… Is this some kind of standard size? WHERE CAN I BUY THIS? I pretty much know nothing about pulleys and the ratio of diameter to amount of teeth… Am i correct in saying this is referred to as pitch?

heres pictures of the motor pulley and basically everything else. i also posted a picture of the pully shaft remover tool thingy that i used…

The RED board is the new chassis from the children’s toy, and the board with the GREEN wheels next to the ENERTION motor mount is the old board i am quitting building with my old mechanical parts i’ll no longer be using which are incompatible with the ALETERED FANTOM childrens toy motor mount…

1 Like