New Builder Parts Check and LCD question

@Ulfberht So Would this be closer to Ideal then With either a 10s battery or two 5s’s in series? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38787__Turnigy_Sentilon_V4_100A_5_12s_HV_Bulletproof_Speed_Controller_w_RPM_Sensor.html

@Jinra What exactly are you referring to about monitoring the voltages and using fuses? Is this in regards to charging the batteries? Should this info be displayed on the charger or do I need to break out the DMM? Sorry for all the questions, I’m new to LIPO’s

Fuse for overcurrent protection. Monitoring voltage meaning not letting it completely die and damage the lipo.

@dstnceswmer That one looks pretty good. I like how it has spark suppressor connections on the positive power lead. One less thing to worry about wiring up. If you need to power anything else, you will need to add a BEC. Cheap and easy. If you do go with this one, I’d suggest getting a programming card with it(around $10). Makes is a lot easier to get everything tuned up. You can also program using the controller on this model, but I don’t know if that would be easier or harder to deal with.

Awesome! As far as batteries go then am i correct in thinking it’s better to go with 2x 5s in series vs 1 10s. In terms of chargers it looks more affordable to find a 4/6s charger then a 10s one. Im assuming they would need to be disconnected and charged separately though?

1 Like

It’s essentially the same. The main difference being how you’re going to balance charge. The Imax b6 doesn’t support 10s charging so you’ll have to charge each 5s pack individually. You can go with a single 10s pack but you’ll have to find a charger that supports it.

I would wire 2x 5s packs using a series adapter (xt60 or other head) and charge the 2 packs individually.

Yes sir! Much more affordable to charge 2x5s packs in parallel! Plus you have to consider space. 2 smaller packs will give you a lot more flexibility for fitting everything on your build! There are tons of videos on Youtube about it, but here’s a link to Dexter@ discussing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhyWHsc9rg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhyWHsc9rg

Thank you I can see it

@longhairedboy @Ulfberht

Ok so here’s my new electronics parts list, Look ok?

Also I am around 175lbs, wondering what kind of top speed I could expect with this setup? And how it would do on average hills?

-Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Looks ok but not too sure if that ESC will work. That ESC might have a firmware for an airplane/heli. With 6S, you should be able to get about 18-22mph. That 149kv though is pretty low KV so you might even be way less then that as far as mph goes.

1 Like

actually I was going to have the batteries in series for 12S

How would you know if the esc is compatible or not? Is there a reason airplane/heli esc’s dont work?

Would a bms necessary for balancing the discharge process is a vesc is used?

@dstnceswmer IF it is a heli/plane esc you might not have the best brakes for an ESK8. Ideally you want a car esc.
This thread may interest you.

no bms is not necessary for operation

Thanks for clarifying that

so sounds like VESC is the best option for my 1 motor 12s setup?

Also curious, if I were to add another motor down the road would that require a second ESC? or can one ESC drive 2 motors?

Shot answer: In our sport it is not possible. you will need a second esc.

ok good to know, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Is enertion boards the best place to order a VESC from?

6 posts were split to a new topic: Genex’s Build Thread

U can get just as hot and just as good efficiency with any voltage in a motor. The esc prefers higher voltage and otherwise will get hot but if the kv x volts gives u a speed range that is good and not too high its all the same in the motor with any voltage. The motor still needs amps and just as many to the motor to produce needed torque

1 Like