New Hummie Hubs!

lol oh. not much conversation in this thread about choice of deck.

what’s everyone planning on using? and what size pack?

I may initially set these up on a jet spud with a 12s2p or 3p pack from @Eboosted, I guess it depends on how many he thinks he can fit in his design.

1 Like

I’m keeping It simple with 10s4p and a custom painted deck that almost fits the vanguard enclosures

1. They are around 90% complete. It’s mostly about optimizing the assembly at this point and really, just wheels.

2. Likely within the next month. All of the pieces are there, it’s just assembly and figuring out the wheels. But we already know a lot about the wheels, so can’t imagine it will take that much longer.

3. We haven’t tested then new wind, which should perform even better than the wind I did on my v3 motors. And with those, I tested to 1500 battery watts continuous per motor without any issues. They could likely do much more. I wouldn’t worry about it. Your vesc and most likely, battery will limit you far before the motors will.

4. They are likely just as powerful, maybe a bit more powerful, it’s like comparing apples to oranges at this point. The v3 test I did where I race mojo on the r2, I beat him by a little more than double, but I hade 4wd vs his 2wd. And that was with the old wind also. It’s unknown at this point who will land on top.,but I expect they will be very similar in torque.

3 Likes

Are these hubs going to support 12S?

At 12S, 50.4V and 1500W, a little less than 30A per motor, people have been running 80A on outrunners at 12S with 4000W motors, can you compare the power delivery between outrunners and hubs? or the maximum power can’t be used to compare performance between them?

2 Likes

based on 78kv, 83mm tire, 1:1 gearing (hub), 0.057ohm, 46v pack, 30a battery limit per motor, 90a motor limit per motor:

with ~30% larger tires (~107mm), 4 motors & ~35a-40a battery limit per motor looks like you’d have enough power there for 45mph.

4 Likes

We recommend 12s for these hubs. I’m sure you could do much higher also, theres nothing really stopping you.

1500 watts per motor in 4wd is where I start to lose traction on hard accelerations, so if you really need every little bit of power, theres always that option.

In terms of how much power these motors can take, it’s really unknown at this point. I think 1500w con is a conservative number.

At the end of the day, what makes a motor powerful and to be able to handle high current and high amps:

• Small air gap (check)
  • Large stator (check)
  • Lots of copper (check)
  • Big and powerful magnets (check)
  • Ultra low winding resistance (check)
  • High heat components in case things do get hot under high loads (check)

In terms of size, these are larger than most outrunner motors. Bigger stator, more copper, and a lower winding resistance. Everything in the motor is rated to at least 300 F, most parts are rated to 400 F, though I wouldn’t recommend getting them close to there. If you really want the power, 4wd is a better way to go anyways. Don’t think the focbox or any vesc can reliably do 80a con anyway. You do less stress on the motors and esc’s also. I think 3000w con is more than enough for most who want a dual drive hub motor. That’s 10x the power output of those cheaper china hub motors.

The only outrunners I expect will beat these hub motors will be 80mm outrunners. Those guys have a much larger stator, larger magents, ect, and a hub motor made for air filled tires would be the only way you could compete with those things. Even then, I beat Dereks 80mm motors off the line 3/3 times. Only time will tell!

2 Likes

I wanna see who comes off the line first…

Your 4wd or my Evo… We’re both about 130… So think that would be more fair…vs 2.5x your weight…

As I’m pushing close to 2700w per motor…

5 Likes

Smack Down!

@evoheyax you’ve been called out bro! :smiling_imp:

make sure there is video dudes :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I can’t wait to do more racing! Just been so hard to find a real competition, haha. I think there’s a lot of interesting races that need to be done.

5 Likes

True. While I mostly ride for joy, and the mentality of keep up or be left in group rides(haha sorry to all my slow Bros), I’d totally be down for a few fun races.

1 Like

killed my vacuum pump making wheels. the new one will be here Wednesday and back at it.

ive been trying to pour this extremely finicky rubber first that needs to be kept from open-air and under a nitrogen blanket. 75 duro and 75 percent rebound is awesome stuff. it’s definitely harder to get right than the rest of the stuff I have. it will happen. the parts look good but with air bubbles from exposure to oxygen I think. fear not and i’m looking into it. I have other easier stuff to pour but want to go for this first.

5 Likes

Add me to that boat, want to see my evo 4wd or the hummies 4wd

2 Likes

damn and the new pump wont turn over! ordered another with two day shipping be here Saturday. harbor freight isn’t going to cut it. sorry for the delay

Did you ship any hubs yet @hummie ?

Nope, still trying to get wheels going. Lost 5 days to the pump breaking and the new pump we bought I guess they didn’t test, cause it didn’t work. So we had to order another one, which finally arrived yesterday and works.

So wheels are getting made now.

We are still waiting on some more magnets and winding epoxy, which should be here any day. hummies been winding motors still though while we wait.

5 Likes

Don’t forget some pics of the wheels in the making!

4 Likes

if I had a decent camera or gopro I would.

what I thought was a clear resin, starts clear and ends a skim milk white. so making white and black wheels today

4 Likes

Juuust getting it down. Here’s the progression minus some ugly duds.

35 Likes

looking sooooo coooooolll

1 Like

Looking good Hummie!

1 Like