New Illuminated display grip tape

Broken beer bottle bits at 30mph will fuck up lots of things. Including polyurethane longboard wheels.

8 Likes

Imagine VeGa displaying data to your grip tape how awesome this could be

I feel like thereā€™s a story here

4 Likes

@Money Iā€™m sorry but I have to ask. Why are you trying to build up hype without selling something or showing how itā€™s done?

2 Likes

@money been wandering round your site and would like some more info on the esc you are using in your pre-builts. When you say Vedder based do you mean a fully programmable esc using vesc tech?
Theres only a few duals out there so interested to know whether its your own creation based on Benjaminā€™s hard work or one of the chinese versions.

2 Likes

Probably simply one of these under clear grip tape: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Activated-Raver-T-Shirt-Extra/dp/B0045MA4SC/

I had one of these like 10 years ago - worked wonders in the clubs :wink:

Edit: link should be fixed

3 Likes

the link is not working for me as minimumā€¦ but i know what you meanā€¦ that thing worked wonders :joy:

1 Like

What may appear as ā€œbuilding up hypeā€ is simply me being proud of some things I have been working on and wanting to see if there is interest in the community. I create a lot of gizmos and gadgets. Things that I think would be cool. But often by the time a working version gets made, I have become so desensitized by the idea that I lose a bit of that initial excitement. Sharing it and getting feedback often rejuvenates that feeling and helps drive me forward and improving on it or polishing it up. Itā€™s not an uncommon practice to see what people think prior to making a product available for purchase. And it usually benefits the product and consumer by allowing time to incorporate feedback. Like Nordleā€™s concern about the resiliency of the Air flow mesh. His comment now has me looking into a Kevlar based mesh. Thatā€™s a huge improvement, and one I had not considered prior to reading his comment.
Also, had no one expressed interest in either the grip tape or the mesh, I would likely have continued to develop it, but it would probably be a slower process with out the same level of excitement.

I create things. A lot of those things arenā€™t exactly useful, but I make them because they fascinate me, or I just want to see it work, or just as often, if I think it wont work, but dont know why, I want to see it not work so I can understand it. If youā€™re curious about some of the projects I have done, DM me.

One of the best feelings I have experienced is when I find out something I made has helped someone else, or made their day/life a little easier, or even if they just find it cool or useful. That feeling just lights me up and keeps me going.

I hope that long winded response helps clarify my intentions. Thanks for adding to this discussion/thread.

8 Likes

Looks to me like that mesh works based on surface tension of the water? Can you show a test with soapy water?

2 Likes

Wonderful idea that griptape. Hat off to you sir. Looking forward to see progress!

2 Likes

@Money Keep it up man. Though griptape is innovative, Iā€™m really looking forward to the Air mesh.

Did you test it under rough conditions? I.e. Direct splash, or pour water directly over the mesh at high pressure and see what happens? Did you try with oil, salty water, etcā€¦ Even pouring water and using a blower at the same time to see if air doesnā€™t push water through.

You should iron this one out as much as you can. I see many applications for it.

6 Likes

Hi everybody

One Of the Last version of Those boards From Chris is ordered , just finish, and will ride in UK ā€¦ I will let us know. JF

1 Like

Neat. How much juice does the grip tape use and is it really grip tape? And the screen is it really waterproof?

1 Like

if you wanna diy it, w/ the ability to program it, u can do thisā€¦ cover the deck, and then use the Epoxy pools of flatness to ā€œpotā€ the leds to the board and grip over the leds

4 Likes

damn it thatĀ“s cool stuff :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ā€¦If I receive something ā€¦

1 Like

Hello Did any body here personally know Chris ? Please contact me in private message ā€¦

1 Like

The implementation of those LEDs underneath the grip tape is very well done! Iā€™ve been experimenting a bit with embedded Neopixel rings.

Provisional patent filing though eh? Heh.

2 Likes