NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Release is in sight. When im back from holidays I’ll have a chat about the release with Benjamin. Some users reported issues with the FOC-BOX. We haven’t tried that out ourselves.

Frank

Hey guys, make sure not to flash any firmware on the FOCBOX as that will void your 60 day warranty regardless of failure. Mine died in the first month and no warranty because the firmware was flashed, told to pay $80 for plat. warranty for replacement.

@onloop Would’ve been nice if that was specifically mentioned on the product page, as any product running opensource firmware, flashing new firmware is quite common practice and expected.

Is this possible to connect make a dual setup with a focbox and a Vesc 4.12?

Does this mean I cannot run @Ackmaniac fw??

1 Like

I did and it voided my 60 day warranty, so wait till after included 60 day warranty is up. From what I’ve learned don’t change any settings without getting written approval from enertion, because if anything fails and you admit to changing anything your warranty is void. I was educated to this by Mike Schmeller from Enertion who pointed out that T&C states “any software modification will void warranty” With such vague wording Enertion can void your warranty for doing anything other than plugging the focbox in properly.

1 Like

What was the cause of your failure?

DRV fried running yuneec ego2 battery and motor FOC sensored. My whole interaction with enertion about this is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8LrLknwWHGEQjVkbXAzUGhuZFE/view?usp=drivesdk

On a sidenote replaced the DRV today and its working, will be selling shortly

1 Like

I’m totally not attacking you or taking merit away from your case, just to make sure that clear.

I was under the assumption they FOCBOX was virtually DRV Fault proof. I have heard several guys say they have had the built in failsafe kick in to avoid burning the DRV. This is a major concern as I have two brand new FOCBOX that will be running FOC and Sensored.

That’s exactly why I bought it

What battery setup were you running?

Stock yuneec ego2 battery 7S3P Panasonic 18650 fused for 30A, motor is 400watt.

Can anyone advise if 7s could have been the problem here? @carl.1 @onloop

It’s faults proof… except if you don’t run a proper motor detection…

Before you blame anyone… could you at least show your parameter from the bldc tool.

Ahh this is good to know! So @Ackmaniac fw will be fine if followed properly?

Yes Niko firmware is working fine on focbox, I’ve been running is firmware on every focbox I’ve got, since Alpha 1

3 Likes

@Ackmaniac firmware + FOCBox =

:smile:

3 Likes

I dont blame anybody other than myself for deciding to purchase a focbox.

Guess it’s the first focbox with replaced DRV

Hi @scepterr,

Just to be clear, the wording of our warranty is hopefully far from vague. Here it is: “If any Electronic part has had hardware or software modifications the warranty is void.”

This is written as part of our Terms and Conditions, because we, unfortunately, cannot guarantee that your purchased unit will work if you perform modifications on it.

I might also point out that this is similar to Apple’s stance on jailbroken phones. You can read about it on their support page here:

This is quite a common condition in the industry due to the precise nature of these types of parts. Don’t forget, if you change things irreversibly and need a new unit, you can simply purchase a Platinum Instance Replacement warranty, and we’ll send you out a new FOCBOX!

That is BS though - you are using the same firmware for your Raptor2 - doing the upgrade yourself should not void anything. it is not like there are 100 firmwares around that might fry something