NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

I have received a new FOCBOX and comparison to the VESC-X which I bought it back on DEC 2016 So what are the improvement between these two here? Also I have noticed the motor wires are 14; the old VESC-X are 12

1 Like

interesting. big capped are different numbers and tiny registers and cappy have different numbers. wire is probably to cut the cost down. but still works I guess. I read somewhere more copper mass in esc wire can lead to loss in signal power and intro noise, but sounds bs

And the cover case is slightly thicker. the normal micro USB cannot reached in. Have to remove the top cover case to connect to the BLDC tools

I dint have any problem with USB

Thats not enough, theres two dimensions missing. What is the distance between those 4 holes to the outer contour?

does anybody know if two of these will fit inside of a 206 ultrabox?

2 Likes

yes, and a bit more easier than with 2 v6 :blush:

1 Like

Awesome. Drag & drop :grin: Taking half the day off. UPS faster than expected.

1 Like

is there a known issue with the focbox and the vest-tool firmware?

Motor detection in bldc fails. I have tested two different motors and two different focboxes. Same result. Motors spin up fine, but after it slows down it stutters (a bit more loudly than I am used to compared to the ESK8 controller) and I receive the status message ‘‘motor detection fails.’’ No error codes in the terminal.

Motors are 100% ok. Working fine with other brands controller and the vesc tool firmware.

I have the latest version of the focbox with soldered ppm connector.

you may need to play with your detection parameters, what is your motor Kv and battery setup?

sk3 149kv, 10s. Default settings worked fine with the other controller, but not the focbox.

lower your min ERPM to 500

could also increase your low duty to 0.1

could also double check your battery voltage for funsies

battery voltage is ok. these are the default values. ERPM is set to 150 by default. Increased D to 0,10. No difference. Motor still stuttering at the end.

motor detection worked with higher A and ERPM, but it still stutters at the end of the sequence. Normal?

yeah that is the D value, you can play with it to get to to run smoother. but if you get the detection working, IMO, not worth it

Didnt realize that the default values on the vesctool TM were so low

1 Like

ok, moving on with ppm. Fingers crossed.

go with the wizard, i wasted a lot of time trying to set it up manually, never worked… to this day don’t know what i am missing

Hi guys, I am a newbie and I have a question for this product: I want to use a single Hub motor on my esk8, and I need to program the esc (I want to implement a sort of AI. Is this the right product for me? Do I need to use an Arduino to send speed signals or I can use just the FOCBOX? Thanks

Up and running. Tried FOC, but the brakes do not appear to be progressive. Back on BLDC and had a good 9 km run. Thanks for your help.

Quick FOCbox question. According to the spec page on enertions website:

5V 1A Output for external devices

soo… without going into the whole project, is that 1A actually available for me to use with external devices, or is some of that 5v power actually used internally, on the 5v bus, and its just a 1a converter?

The reason I ask is I am modding a scooter, and the OEM LED lights are 5v and when all are maxxed out, its .92 amps. This is worse case, brake light and running light on all at once. unlikely to happen, but I dont want to kill the 5v bus, or have it suddenly not work and lose primary braking. Along with the LEDs, I also run an arduino, and 2 hall effect throttles. The arduino takes the two throttles (one gas, one brake) and outputs a servo signal for the FOCBOX.

So… is this too much for the 1A bus, or is the 1A rating accurate? because If it is, I will be using .95a of it…