NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Do you know what he changed? Because it looks identical to the original BOM.

I agree that thread got pretty messy. But it really didnā€™t have to.

The point is chaka made claims (and so did many others) that his vesc was better due to upgrading parts. The claim was that the upgraded parts improved the vesc reliability and reduced the chance of drv errors.

The reason I was ā€œgoing afterā€ him is he should have done the community the kind gesture to explain what parts he changed. Everyone wants a better vesc and he was keeping the changes secret for commercial gain.

Still to this date he has not published his BOM. All he said was read vedder forum to find the answersā€¦ so we did exactly that. It made it harder but such is life.

Now I have made a new product, I have made all the same changes as chacka and a few more very significant upgrades, I have also provided clear pictures of the changes, I have explained the changes in detail (without anyone needing to ā€œgo after meā€) and I have published schematics for anyone who is interested.

But somehow I am still hypocritical? I really donā€™t understand the logic. Itā€™s very biased.

All I want is to make better esk8ā€™s - leave the politics at the door.

9 Likes

Thanks for all your efforts! Could you please then share the Altium file(s)?

R, J.

I think the people here complaining about the fact that you are ā€œonlyā€ publishing PDF files instead of the original Altium files. I think for the correct spirit of open source it would be nice if youā€™d published everything, but i personally can understand why you didnā€™t. You do want to make better esk8, but you want to sell them and not be made by others. You spent many hours of work in your new layout and want to protect it. Just look how many hours Benjamin put into that project, without himā€¦ what would you have? :slight_smile:

However, since i run a VESC-repair business, iā€™m very interested in your source files (like your altium files) because the repair is much easier off navigatable Layout files rather than using some JPG/PDF files. Iā€™d very much appreciate if you publish it.

Waiting to hear instruction from vedder. Its Possible after vesc v6 is released we will do it. But really donā€™t want to derail vedder vesc6 developments.

The schematics are available now so you can see what we did.

1 Like

What type of instructions? Are there any components from VESC that are not under CC BY-SA 4.0? I thought - as how it is advertised - that VESC is fully open source. If it is, then canā€™t see why would you have to wait sharing the contentā€¦

R, J.

@onloop great man, to see you push the envelope once more.

because itā€™s politeā€¦ & because itā€™s not required

Vedder doesnā€™t necessarily want everyoneā€™s modified VESC hardware designs being made public right now, especially when he is looking to release the next major hardware change himself in the near future. Itā€™s a potential conflict and therefore we will wait.

Sure - I would even do this for the reputation. There are not too many out there contributing on this level.

You mean: sharing the changes? If yes, I just would like to point you to the very simple description of the CC BY-SA 4.0:

If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

If not, could you please elaborate?

There are different VESC versions on the market - I couldnā€™t think on better description on VESC-X what you made in this threadā€™s OP. Plus you already started selling (pre-order) it, so on this level itā€™s already making newbies (not reading these details) confused! ā€¦but how would the source files make conflict? - those are not consumed by users who are not aware of what VESC is on this level.

The only conflict would be around the name itself - VESC - but I didnā€™t find anything that would imply there there is a copyright / trademark on the name.

R, J.

@onloop I can understand that you will not say anything to my last post because it will maybe reflect badly to your VESC-X. But I can not understand why we need to order over a special link to support Benjamins work. Why not sending him the money for every order? You generated a lot of money from his work and it would be fair to spend money for every single order like chaka did. I think that is a clear point that you are just profit oriented and not ā€œmake better esk8`sā€ like you always claim.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying you are hypocritical either, I was only saying that I wasnā€™t saying youā€™re not hypocritical :wink:. Joking aside I apologies, hypocritical was not the correct word to use there and itā€™s not my intent to cause drama. I think people were taking my comments on the non-relevance copyright/CC license as defending your your file format choice and I wasnā€™t (Iā€™m not qualified to have an opinion on that) so I was trying to distance myself from that separate issue.

As for bias, I admire your work and everything youā€™ve done for the community - so, yes, Iā€™m bias, only a little though.

The referral program has started, sign up now & earn cash to help us promote the new VESC-X

Nice job Congrats! I like the innovation.

2 Likes

Will the new raptors have the VESC-X?

Eventually when the stock is available we will be using vesc-x in all our pre built products.

Is the VESC-X compatible with 12S?

yea why not?? Even the previous VESC was. I ran it on 12s at 30+ mph near the ERPM limit. No issues.

I only ask because on Enertionā€™s site, the VESC is listed at 10S max, but other suppliers spec it to 12S. This could just be a conservative value, or they could have optimized the component selection for 10S max in their build of the VESC

Actually, running on 12S is half-reliable because it would result in a broken DRV8302 chip when it happens. Vedder design the VESC to have a max voltage of 60V and 60 amps. Thereā€™s no one stopping you from doing so, but only the advice of picking which buyer should you choose to return a broken product for repairs.

So 12s should be safely below that?