[New member] Open source hardware - what does the community need?

But I give it to you, this one was pretty hard to know, specially if you haven’t seen the original thread on Endless-Spere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought I just said that.

Oh sorry I understood incorrectly I was like what? Where? When? :smiley: I highly doubt they will release it like 99.99% doubt.

@JohnnyMeduse I have skimmed but did not read much of it… Guess what is this

1 Like

That is what I am talking about. Sometimes I think the big companies don’t get involved because of liability issues. If they make a plug and play ESC (specifically for skateboards) and someone falls and cracks their head open, they get sued. If you crash your RC car into a wall with their ESC, no one gets hurt. If they design a kit for building a battery pack and you blow yourself up, they end up in court. I was surprised when I saw Hobbyking jumping into the eskate market.

There are some WIP documents available from the VESC 6 beta stage at: http://vesc-project.com/node/247

What school’s Formula team were you on? Im at IIT Currently

It’s nothing new, and like I said I doubt he will ever release :wink:

Hey! I would love it if there was a BMS just like the ones from Bestech, but also

• be able to adjust the input voltage from 6s to 12s
  • has a built in e-switch and most importantly
  • is smaller than the bestech ones. Limiting the size will make it harder to handle the current- but thats the challenge i guess, right? :smiley:

what do you guys think?

I have experience with automation theory and programming microcontrollers, but i’m far from a excellent programmer. I Intend to improve on that, which is one of the reasons that i want to design a ESC.

i think you got something wrong there. the Focbox IS a VESC 4.12 and those RC car ESC’s are playing in an completly different (lower) league. same goes for the chinese ESCs which (i think) are plug and play. but those are usualy nothing a DIYer wants to play with because ther is nothing to tweak.

Can’t say i completely agree with that. The time it will take to design something is obviously dependent on previous experience with similar systems and whether or not you have access to previous work that you can “borrow” from, but that is a discussion for another thread :stuck_out_tongue: . On the other hand, I do agree with you that the software part of an ESC is the most demanding.

Do you have any ESC designs (or other electronics projects for that matter) that are publicly available? I would be very interested to look at the schematics/layout :slight_smile:

I understand that. I was just saying that I felt the VOCBOX is an improvement over standard VESC in overall quality and design (packaging). VESC and ESC are the same except VESC is able to handle larger loads and batteries. ESC manufactures (Castle Creations, Novak) design their products for small light R.C. vehicles and VESC is designed to carry human on skateboard. Both provide the same function. I said previously that some DIY’ers will want all of the adjustability but many (like myself) want more plug and play. I think the proper design and interface can provide both, basic setup for me and advanced user adjustability for you, all in the same package.

2 Likes

Hi everybody… new here.

I just would like to promote my github Open Source HW: FreeDRIVE.

Optimized for low price at JLCPCB and obviously VESC6 compatible.

https://github.com/nordstream3/FOC

1 Like