New name for VESC Poll- copyright issue with current name

VOSESC (Vedder Open Source ESC). B.VESC. Benjamin Vedder ESC.

1 Like

Guys, relax! There is something in place already. Because we knew that the community needs such a thing in order not to be cut off the market. Thought of, will be published very soon! Its a very fair model we set up. If you wish to contribute to the project, just stick to what will be offered.

Frank

1 Like

Why piss on everyone and then try to win them back? Why not just come out with the statement all at once and give the community an alternative all at once. You are a business man so I think you are scared now that you’ve lost some customers and you have to try and save your image and brand… Or maybe I’m wrong. …nope

2 Likes

Money makes the world go round

3 Likes

I can update the original poll if you like - we can keep a single thread going. Lmk

1 Like

Op-esc or O-esc is nice.

1 Like

“Because we knew that the community needs such a thing in order not to be cut off the market.” How pretentious are you guys? Do you honestly think that just because you have sole rights to distribute the new controllers that the guys here will be hurt without you?

“If you wish to contribute to the project, just stick to what will be offered.” Are you suggesting that we wait for your instructions on how to better your business after you have stabbed everyone here in the back? My business will never be given to a Trampa product and will solely go to other members of this forum who are actually in it to help each other.

3 Likes

ESSC = Electric Skateboard Speed Controller

10 Likes

I was also going to suggest ESSC. Its nice and simple

5 Likes

Best Electric Speed Controller

1 Like

I sat on the sidelines because i am new to this community and believe this community is collaborative and awesome…but with the smoke and mirrors act going on here i could stay silent no longer…below are just my opinions based on my experiences as a former intellectual property attorney…changed practice many years ago because it was soooo boring writing patents all day…

Since VESC is protected by at least an EU registration…and the Registrant now seeks to enforce the rights there needs to be an alternative generic name…you can not exclude the public from using descriptive or generic terms to describe a product…what would we use?..“the ESC that Benjamin Vedder and the community improved for electric skateboards”??..that’s a mouthful…

Remember trademarks are for source identification…not for describing the product…

If trampa et al has a descriptive term they want the public to use instead of VESC then it should be shared before everyone else comes up with an alternative as they might not like what people come up with…because let’s face it ESC is absolutely a generic and descriptive term for an electronic speed controller and that is what these are…and adding a V arguably doesn’t make it distinctive…imho…all due respect to Vedder as he is a pioneer…

In fact, the almost universal use of VESC for the improved ESC by the esk8 community and the allowance of same until now may have already relegated the “mark” to arguably a genetic status…

Even though registered in the EU I would suggest that VESC will have a hard time being registered in the US as it is arguably already generic…a trademark examiner at the USPTO will simply Google VESC and see how it is used to universally describe an ESC that is improved for esk8s…

Kimberly-clark had to spend millions to teach the public that it is a “facial tissue” not a kleenex …it was the first account we had to read in TM class in law school…

Google …genericized trademark…

I fully believe in protecting one’s work efforts…but unless the TM owner either changes the narrative (ie give the public a generic term and encourage it’s widespread use) or starts filing very expensive suits…that horse has left the barn…

BTW I like O-ESC

11 Likes

Gotta love that note on the end :wink:

What is the alternative? Only at Trampa the motor controller buy? I thought it was about to build an electric skateboard and make it better, but apparently I can only pay people who are out to make money on stranger ideas.

How about the VE-Sk8? Just add the dash to pronounce a little differently too lol

ESSC is my favourite so far

3 Likes

I would go for “Open-ESC based on VESC®”.

3 Likes

BESC8 B as in Benjamin

It’s Benjamins product, if he wants to make a living out of it I’m good with that.

I think we can name it the Benjamin Retro Open SK8 controller or BRO-SK8 Controller

I agree, which is why I am waiting for BV to release his licensing agreement for vendors - that is fair use of a trademark.