New ollinboard VESC DRV magic smoke

I’m not sure what I’ve done. Which makes this still a problem…

I played with the heatshrink and put the wires as nice as possible without disconnecting anything. I put the remote on my second vesc and tested again. It’s working again !!! Next thing I did is soldered the two vesc’s together again ( master/ slave connection) alligned everything as it should. Both motors up and running again. Just did a small test-drive of a kilometer. Like nothing ever happened…

So what’s the cause of this short exactly (as a hit on my wheels, obviously not motor, could trigger it) Should I try to put some extra glue/heatshrink on the part where the wires enter the motor so they absolutely don’t move anymore? Your thoughts on this please !

@hummie might have a better idea on what kinds of adhesives you can use to lock down wires inside a motor. But in general, it sounds like a good idea.

Well, I’m good in electromechanics. These are my first steps in DC-motors though. But if I would make those motors, the wires coming in should have a little more heatshrink on them and at least some form of strain relief, with these kind of applications with a lot of stress and movement on them.

Edit: btw, @longhairedboy, @HH1 and @Hummie. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ! Hence the power of this forum!

Hi. I don’t remember or know if u ever wrote what makes u think u have a short. And now u don’t? Humm. Maybe u did jiggle something away from something. Does the motor behave just as well as it had and does it get just as hot?

U can use a multimeter and check for a circuit between the motor housing or the stator and the leads. But shorts in the windings u need the LC meter

.there’s spray on enamel that’s intended for windings I think https://www.zoro.com/sprayon-red-insulating-varnish-20-oz-s00601000/i/G1811056/?gclid=CjwKEAjwqJ67BRCzzJ7Hy-LYlFYSJABwp9PGwJPlGpKe9W4281qzty2FW9OJNlFIwT0hu06I1ZHaURoC1K7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds I’ve put a lot of epoxy on motors to secure windings and other reasons but u want a thin coating and to have nothing rubbing coming through the housing. But maybe u don’t have a short to begin with and I forget ur what happened

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/raptor-dual-motor-breakdown-any-help-for-quick-shipping-appreciated/4868

This came from there.

I’m still not 100% sure, but the heat shrink (3 wires together going in motor) was wiggly. I’ve put the wires nicely. There were actually 3 small wires (stranded wire) broken and touching the aluminum. which I’ve cut off as well. So it makes sense if it’s only coated on the outside. So this was the temp solution.

I’m now going to look into some product to insulate them better. I’ve got plastic spray laying around (used for PCB’s), a heated glue gun and some liquid isolation spray. (has a more rubber texture) I’m thinking of spraying that over the excess wire below the coils to keep them nice and tight + insulated and glue the incoming heatshrink as tight as possible

I use Glyptal 1201 when rewinding motors. They have several different products but 1201 works well for coils etc. Hot glue will melt at operating temps so it may not be a good idea.

The vesc u can use to find shorts with its induce and resistance measurements

Hey guys I have the same problem here. Motor wouldn’t spin under load and it makes weird noise. I’ve disassembled the motor to have a look if there is any short. Seems like none of the wires are touching each other and heat shrink is in place. Is there anything that I’m missing here?