NEW PENDING TORQUE ESC based off VESC6 - Suggestions

80a const. current Safe FOC 5V power output (for lights etc) Plug for powerswitch Integrated Bluetooth (for iOS and Android) 2.4 ghz Receiver which can be paired with gt2b remote Dual setup via Bluetooth module instead of CAN Different options for heatsink (single, dual housing) Would be a dream…no lose connections anymore, no extra cables and modules flying around…and FOC😍

1 Like

hmm. maybe send out a poll or something to your mailing list to see if more people are interested in running dual set up vs. single. huge benefits with everything in a single unit.

I don’t understand the desire for a dual esc in the current market. The reason you combine systems is to save power, space and/or money.

Currently it won’t be significantly smaller, it will use the same voltage and won’t be any cheaper.

The risk is you replace the entire system instead if half (said half the money) when it breaks.

I wish someone would explain to me why duals are attractive.

10 Likes

The only single unit dual esc I’m attracted to is the Unity. Is there a need? Obviously not since we’ve been running separate vescs all this time. The things I like about it is:

1.) One XT60 connector 2.) Single programming 3.) Integrated switch plug

None of these are needed but it’s nice to have if it’s dependable (that’s a big IF) the space saving is welcomed.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m too lazy to manage my mess of cables or make a smaller XT splitter and the unity is my way out of 10 minutes of work :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Less complexity, simpler is better.

Strip features away, don’t add extras - no integrated switch, no bluetooth, no nothing. Stick with core functionality and remove everything else.

7 Likes

I like my dual heatsink for both my Escapes and focboxes… They sit nicely in the enclosure, with greate cooling, looks dual, but i can still switch one if necessary

3 Likes

If you would put a e switch inside that wouldnt fail that would be a dealbreaker, and possibly some mini bluetooth solution with an app developed from you or someone to make it look fancy

2 Likes

Cool… Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

I’ve decided on splitting it up into 2 layer stack since we’re re-doing the PCB anyways to make it smaller. Overall easier and can replace boards easier down the road.

Will take a few extra weeks to finish the PCBs but better off in the long run. Still needs another round of testing and then a beta test batch.

Hopefully, that will bring it down to 60x60 and under 25mm height.

For now, we’re sticking to a single ESC but we’ll look into a dual option with more customized programming in the future.

6 Likes

What about making all the connections to the side? CAN bus, PPM etc

25mm is a bit tall but ok, but 25mm plus connectors on top can easily become 30mm or more

1 Like

There are L shaped jst connectors available to buy i think

@Pedrodemio Yeah, I plan on putting the connectors on the side.

3 Likes

More protection for stupid failures like canbus, hall sensors.

Maybe a way to attach resistive load for regen braking when pack is full?

XH connector for halls? I find the PH is so delicate…

Built in bluetooth?

+1 for CANBUS upgrade.

TJA1052i would be nice, but would need external circuitry for isolated power.

Since we’re doing a single ESC. External bluetooth will probably be better will keep a lower price for the ESC in general.

Will probably be switching to lock connectors so nothing falls out.

3 Likes

What kind of connectors? Part #?

Haven’t decided yet but should be similar to the current.

1 Like

How about an optional external heat sink that attaches to the ESC case and can be easily installed and sealed to an enclosure for external cooling?

@Mobutusan - Yeah, was thinking about it. It would be best. I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

For dual setups. Like the ones for focbox or ESCape that are on the forum now.

I was thinking we should have a waterproof dual esc. Everything stored inside the dual ESC would need space for a bluetooth, receiver, wires from ESC1 to ESC 2.

The only thing harder to waterproof would be the end connectors especially if people are using it for custom DIY setups. But I’m sure, everyone could manage.

Entire Dual ESC block can just be bolted to the deck.

10 Likes