New Single Build for my Brother

I have go for a 10s build with the bms so the amps will be lower than 6s. So it will work for me & you can buy a lowe amps & volt switch

so now i am completely wondering what is the best?

10s2p 8s2p 6s3p

?? :smiley:

I think for it to stay light i’d have to stay under ~20 cells? This is my first diy pack so i am not sure

For 245kv I would go with 6s3p, more continuous discharge and range

Also, do you plan on soldering the cells or do you happen to have a spot welder laying around?

1 Like

soldering for the win! :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it super powerful?

I can always change the motor as well … maybe go with a smaller one

yeah i have a 30w for small things and a 100w for bigger things. i read 80w is the minimum for getting the heat in and out quick enough

1 Like

100w should be good, glad you’ve done some reading unlike some other people on here…

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok now i am thinking 6s3p like @GrecoMan suggested, as its gonna give me less sag and my bro doesn’t need crazy much power anyways.

Would this 220kv motor from alien systems work well with 6s3p? I’d prefer to buy the motor from a skate shop rather than hobbyking’s sk3s … Also this one is 5055 so i can save some weight and $

I highly recommend the Tacon 245kv 6364.

It is amazing and I run it on 6s2p, ships from hobbypartz I think

ahhh looks amazing, but don’t wanna order from the US because i am in europe … 245kv does seem to be the sweet spot for 6s mhm?

245kv at 6s is great, it’s a perfect balance of torque and speed

I recommend the sk3’s over the 5055 from APS

1 Like

This the cells you’re referring to?

Those are the ones.

1000W / 37V (10S) = 27A 27A / 2 (2P) = 13.5A per cell

1000W / 22.2V (6S) = 45A 45A / 3 (3P) = 15A per cell

With a 10S2P you’d be drawing less amps per cell for the same amount of power as a 6S3P and have less voltage sag. There would also be less stress on your VESC due to lower amperage.

I have a 10s4p build with those cells: https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/lg-18650he2-imr-battery.html But i have now ordered a spotwelder to make a new 10s4p pack with the same cells. I don’t know in what time you want to build you’re board. But when making my own pack go good. I want to make also packs for the esk8 community.

PS: I am from Belgium

Thank you for that beautiful explanation!

In your calculations, do the 1000W mean we are assuming this single drive build brings out a 1000W?

I just chose 1000W as an arbitrary value. The ratio stands for any amount of power though.

Since 2 30Qs in parallel could put out 40A, I’d set your VESC to output 30A just to leave some headroom to keep the cells healthy. That should give you a little more than 1000W which a 6355 would be able to handle fine. Look for a motor around 190kV.

1 Like

ok so i think i am gonna go for a 10s2p as this gives me more power and less voltage sag than any of the other options, while having about the same amount of cells. furthermore i have been reading that voltage sag can influence range so significantly that 10s2p should still outperform a 6s3p in terms of range, even though it would have more mAh.

That said, i have questions about building a 10s2p:

I understand how to wire up balance leads in a 1p battery like here

but how do i go about that in a 2p? Do i join the balance leads on the packs in parallel as well before they go into the bms etc ?