New Suspension Truck

Hey guy what do you think about this product. I cannot realy wrap my mind around it. Seems wanky, maybe for super slow builds? https://www.stormesk8.com/collections/shop/products/stormesk8-damping-truck-base

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this throw your baseplate angle off everytime you hit a bump?

I’m thinking they could cause some stability issues at higher speeds!

1 Like

this is what i am thinking too, way to wanky but still funny idea.

1 Like

Looks like it would be pretty difficult to get a nut on your bolts.

1 Like

What nut do you mean? Baseplate is threaded

2 Likes

that looks like it was designed and build without a ‘skater’ in sight

6 Likes

Springs make things softer right…yea lets put springs on it. We’ll make millions!

2 Likes

And not one person said “but if it really worked it would have been on skateboards for years … someone MUST have tried that before and failed” :wink:

1 Like

“We will be the first!!!” -Said at many failed product meetings-

I feel like so many companies would save a ton of money if they got on to forums like this and just asked us what we would want. I know a few of them are out there and guess what…they are some of the more trusted brands out there, providing quality parts too!

1 Like

Yeah right now the only one i know that works is Avenue Trucks.

1 Like

Didn’t look carefully enough to see the threads, but I’m not sure I want my trucks attached to my board by only aluminium threads.

1 Like

someone try these.

i predict instant speed wobbles.

3 Likes

Didn’t MTB’s go away from spring trucks because of wobbles? This seems like a move backwards to me.

3 Likes

It looks like the bolt in the middle of the baseplate (not the main pivot) is to limit the travel upwards that would have increased the truck angle (and meant it would just flop up without), so at least there is a maximum angle (guessing 45-50 degrees, didn’t really read to see if they specified).

There is a channel for that same bolt so the trucks can compress downwards for the suspension, this would decrease the angle of the trucks, and increase stability. This means theoretically while carving, the harder you carve, the less your board will turn, progressively, not taking into account the standard lean/bushing compression that’s always present regardless of design.

This all could actually mean the opposite of your comment, the harder you wobble the more your board will resist turning even more by decreasing the angle of the baseplate… But in practice? Going to have to see how the interplay in resonance of wobbles to weight to varying truck angles works out on the street.

Interesting concept. It might be nice, but if the spring has significant give under load and if travel distance is at all significant (which would help for suspension purposes), I imagine these would kill the feeling of carving, to include the progressive lean/turning radius we are used to with positively raked (like Randals, or even neutral rake- ie caliber) trucks.

3 Likes

i must say, if they want to compete with Avenue they have to lower their price for these baseplates.

1 Like

I predict launching you off like a pogo stick

3 Likes

I don’t have an issue with the baseplate angle changing, thats not really so bad IMO. There’s still plenty of applications which can design around it. I don’t think it will be unstable, just inconsistent.

Changing your baseplate angle isn’t going to throw you in and out of turns, and it won’t really do anything if you’re holding a straight line.

Don’t forget, Avenue trucks also have their angles change to provide travel.

2 Likes

problem about this Suspension is you only have a spring and no damper.

1 Like