New v6 FRC HOBBY

and about 10 shill accounts

2 Likes

It’s in thier marketing culture. Granted its annoying but as long as the info is correct I’m happyish

1 Like

Haha, wow, that is so obvious now that you mentioned it… Grammar reveals so much :wink:

1 Like

274adb73115801347228b1c7f7155ba047aca6b2008832995887a0064346335b0a17027b8d97833b7b4b514d527a5ca2%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20180728174341%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20180728174335

For your viewing pleasure or displeasure and analysis, I have more pictures they’ve sent me.

I will say the right angle connectors are nice but pose a problem with two next to each other. If using CAN or UART you will have to leave a gap for wires.

Base on Vesc6, that’s probably trademark infringement, not that the Chinese care. Although I suppose they’re not calling it a VESC, but rather the “Base on Vesc6”. Hey it’s not blue and the design is clearly different despite the rounded corners, wires poking out, aluminum case and a lid…

1 Like

I think the naming is great so there is no confusion. This bullshit we are seeing with the TM trying to hide vesc6 so trampa can take a premium is really bs…

On the one hand the TM tries to keep companies from directly copying their design 1 for 1 which would absolutely cause confusion. These copies (as with the 4.12) come in varying degrees of quality with some being great and others absolute garbage. Thus if one is directly copied they have to at least change the name and remove Trampa’s logo.

And on the other hand they are being a bit heavy handed with it trying to stifle competition. I don’t think that’s their main intention but sometimes it comes off that way. Note that the TM just applies to naming the product, not anything else so anyone can absolutely say “Based on the VESC6 schematics” and all is well. We all know what a FOCBOX is.

Everyone that’s been around for a while know what a focbox is but not new ppl… That’s why I like when they call something what it really is to not have the confusion there.

This vesc costs 60£ in materials (legit ones) when ordered in small quantities whitout the enclosure, hopefully they arent greedy and this wont turn out to be a crap vesc 120$ is a very competitive price :smiley:

2 Likes

When I first started I knew I wanted a VESC. So I searched eBay for a “VESC” and bought one that seemed well priced. I assumed that since it said “VESC” it was exactly the same as any other. Too many people fall into that trap and end up spending more money. I got lucky with my Maytech “VESCs”.

Calling the FRC ESC a VESC6 is disingenuous since it’s not a VESC6. They cheap out (hopefully not this time) and you get a lower quality product that might not even work. It probably has missing features too. I have nothing against them saying it’s based on and compatible with the VESC6, so you can still find it through Google/Bing/etc. We saw the same thing with version 4, too many copies all with exactly the same name. It was hard to tell which ones were actually good and a lot of newbies just buy the cheapest one since hey, it’s a VESC right? The TM forced companies to come up with unique names for their products making it easier to tell which is which, but they can all still claim compatibility with VESC.

For all intents and purposes It is a VESC, maybe not a good one but that’s what it is and based on.

What you wanted was a Trampa VESC and those are only available on the Trampa site, and yes yes I know,

But the same research that goes into picking a good working regular ESC is the same work that has to go into finding a good VESC: research. And not buying such a crucial part of electronics on EBay.

This is what you get with open source and this is what you have to accept. This thing , like all the other implementations (not copies) are the intended product and what you have to deal with. If this thing is using VESC6 files and hardware , then it is a VESC6. Fuck the trademark for a second.

And while i may be met with disgrunt with this: It’s up to the consumer to responsibly research and distinguish good from bad, especially in this field.

3 Likes

It is compatible with and based on the VESC, but not necessarily a VESC.

Yes and all those ESCs have unique names. They are all ESCs but they all have their own name. VESC is a name for a certain speed controller. It is the Vedder ESC.

Edit: I don’t think there’s a right answer here, both sides have good arguments and this will just keep going in a circle. Trampa is being shiesty but they have a point.

1 Like

It’s not all about HW btw. Most work is in the Software and clone software can’t be called VESC. Same with Linux. If you want to put a Linux distribution out there, you need to give it a unique identifier/name. People need to be able to identify a certain source.

TMs are all about source identification, so that you can be sure that you get your device/software/service from your source of choice which stands for a certain level of quality and trust.

Open source is predominantly about sharing knowledge so that people can learn from another and build upon each others achievements.

1 Like