New VESC from China. Seems like not only Maytech is making VESC's now

Well i got some time this afternoon to mess about with bullet connectors etc. Im just hashing something together with what I currently have on my Trampa.

Long story short, I just went FOC right away. Motor detected fine first attempt, no issues (I’ve got SK3 190Kv motors running 8S, no sensors, split PPM) for both ESC’s.

My issue is my original loom needs adjusting by quite a bit so I can mount them. Then I am going to velcro and cable tie them to my deck. I should be able to get it done late tonight and if the weather is good enough tomorrow I will have a test ride.

OH, BT modules, got to sort them out as well.

Only issue is the size of the cases and no light for either of the power switches.

2 Likes

The RX and TX cables on the BT modules have to be swapped around also… Yeah kinda annoying there is no indication if it’s on or not but so far so good. My cases finished printing today so I’ll be building my Dual FOC testing board tonight and riding tomorrow.

So far it’s been working fine on BLDC and FOC in the Texas Heat… Heres my test ride from earlier today when I got BT working with it

4 Likes

That sounds promising , the biggest test would be on hills.

1 Like

That goes for any VESC6 and alteration :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, they are wired normally.

I have finished building a temp loom and have a BT module for each ESC, as I’m running split PPM.

Yes an HM10 module fits and works inside the case!

In the morning I will install Ackmaniac’s firmware, reconfigure the ESC’s and charge my lipos before taking it out for a test ride in the afternoon. Oh and velcro/cable tie them in place.

2 Likes

Just ordered one too. How do you like it? It is safe in FOC?

Since the switch is connected via 2 wires, 1 pos and 1 neg, shouldn’t we be able to switch out the switch with another that has some form of indication?

You dont need to as i’m a dumb ass. The button has on/off positions

Off

On

3 Likes

I have no idea about safe or reliable yet but the Lipo’s are charging and I will have a test ride in about an hours time (holiday day for me).

Ackmaniac’s FW is installed and so far the function just like a normal VESC. I will have telemetry after the ride which i will post up when I return.

2 Likes

I think having some form of LED indicator would be easier to spot. I prefer that, maybe not to someone else. Each to its own I guess.

I agree. Atleast a button the lights up.

I just got back from my first test run. Only issue was one BT module died, I will check it later but it means I missed half my telemetry by the time I noticed.

Here is the telemetry - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CRPphJ2SY90pSonMQ9h2qYAErl8budQT/view?usp=sharing

I ran conservative settings on both FSESC’s, 60A/-60A Motor and 30A/-10A battery as I wanted to give it a bit of a shake down. The Lipo’s are back on charge and I will go for another ride this evening and if I get time I will have a look at the BT module that failed.

2 Likes

not bad. The average temperature for the PCB is about 36.9C

min temp for PCB is 35.7 C and max is 38

max motor current is 74.34A max battery current is 36.72A

So far so good. No issues with the FSESC 6.6’s. The BT module did not die so I think although they work from inside the cases range is an issue. No biggie, I will mount them outside at some point in the future.

For context, the first test was on rough grass, 4-5 inches tall, bumpy so everything was rattling like mad. My latest ride was on grass but a lot shorter and a lot less bumpy.

Log of latest ride - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qC322XoVwOUZWUS0daiSF-aIRXbD9S5h

I’m back to work tomorrow but I will have another ride after work and up the amps but looking at the telemetry things are looking good. Temps are stable and below 40C for the first ride but it was a lot cooler this evening and I hit max 33C.

@oriol360 How are your’s going?

1 Like

Been going great actually. The remote receiver fits inside the enclosure of the Master ESC and there is no drop or cut off. The BT Module fits inside the Slave ESC and also no cut off or drops from what I can tell.

FOC is Crazy silent at all speeds… on 4.12 HW going faster than 15mph there would be no difference in sound.

I’ll be testing the up/downhill performance tomorrow in my Parking garage as I have no hills near me…

Currently my issue is with the size… The enclosure is just too large for dual setups…

7 Likes

Thanks for the updates! I’m waiting mine too and I’m as well worried about the size :frowning:

Wonder if someone could design a custom enclosure for 2 of these that would only use 1 of the on /off switch and any other necessary things that only one is needed. I believe this can be ordered only the HW without the case for less, so that would make saving space much easier, especially since this design is smaller I think then other HW 6 designs…

1 Like

Well I’m using split PPM and when I turn one FSESC on the other powers up as well. No idea why but it works.

1 Like

That is convenient, but it still leaves two 100mm cases in there…