No-clever-name build | Dual 6374s | 12S6P | homemade deck | SuperFlys | 218mm trucks | custom machined parts | carbon fiber

Thanks again for the feedback. I’m on a time crunch right now. Trying to get the board done in the next seven days. I’ll be using the board daily for the following week (if I can get it done in time). After that, I’ll think about how I might be able to change things so I can check cell voltage. Maybe just go back and add leads.

Jay

finally someone who also did a nice soldering job, i recently replaced my powertool batteries and also soldered them and i only put the iron around 1-2 secons max…barely any heat on the surface…dunno why people are so against it.

1 Like

Yes balance leads are good. Currently you will have a lead on each battery on each pack if you do so.

1 Like

By the way, if one cell is dead (or dying), how could the pack show the correct voltage? If a single battery is dead, the pack will read only 45.87 volts, whereas it should read 50.4 volts (@ 4.17 volts per battery). Point being, if I charge a pack fully, then test it, if it doesn’t show 50.4 volts, then I know I have a problem battery. What am I missing?

Thanks, Jay

Balance charging to prevent that in the first place

A closeup of a couple solder joints. That’s three pieces of pure nickel strip. I’m real happy with the connections I’m getting.

20180712_193657

2 Likes

But you said the pack will still read the correct voltage even if I have a bad battery. I’m just trying to understand how that could be the case.

Thanks, Jay

Well initially you said you weren’t charging them full. Another issue with a bad cell is it may read fully charged but the capacity is no where near the other batteries in the pack.

1 Like

If a 12s pack has a bad cell and you charge it up to 50V the other cells will typically be overcharged and 1 will be under. Not to mention you’d want to charge the 12s packs individually, as if a single pack of 12s1p cells hits 50.4V all packs will stop charging. While building cells like this can be handy there is a reason why every battery ever pretty much runs the p groups before the s groups.

1 Like

I believe your charger will keep charging until it gets the correct voltage, so I will over charge the rest of the good cells untill it reaches 50.4V. Someone feel free to correct me on that.

Okay. Well, like I said, after this trip, I’ll think about taking a different approach to the pack. For the moment, I’m going to plow through and get the board done.

Thanks, Jay