No Torque–Motors Shudder–No Speed

I’m getting so frustrated. I bought a board, 2 motors, a belt driven Mountainboard truck kit, and an esc and 36v 10s3p battery. I put it all together but cannot get it to run properly. The motors are 5065-270kv Vanpros. The esc I got on eBay and it works, but the board has zero torque and even less top end. The board will not move if standing stationary. You get moving and it will run, but can’t even reach 10mph and completely dies on small inclines. The esc is programmable to 24v but I am pretty certain that it’s already set to 36v. Everything is in the pics. Please help. I mainly want to know why what the most likely cause is for this lack of torque and shuddering. I included the image of the ESC instruction to see if you guys can tell me if it is properly wired for a 36v battery right now. Since it says disconnect 1, disconnect 2, I believe it is. P.S. I do not have a wizard program or the cables to connect it to a computer

currently.

That’s totally normal if you do not use sensored motors.

Probably because of the 10s3p pack. It’s not really a big battery for a mtb and I guess the cells which used for this pack are not the best either. Your pack will sag a lot means the voltage drops under load and your esc cut off because of undervoltage.

1 Like

Fuck lol I suck at this. That’s the second battery I bought. Do you have any battery recommendations?

1 Like

Also, I have 2 of those, because they shipped an extra by mistake. Would 2 batteries hooked up to it be enough?

1 Like

interesting.

You could try it out.

You need a lot of low RPM starting torque to get pneumatic wheels moving, generally speaking the best way for getting motors moving at zero RPM is with hall sensors. in summary, You need special motors & a motor controller.

Building your own skateboard isn’t always easy or nor is it always cheaper, but its fun & you will learn a lot during this adventure.

Motor recommendations? Yeah, I love projects, and while I didn’t realize how much of a project this would be, I am excited to get it going. So my update, I put my 2 36v 10ah battery’s together by twisting the wire ends together, and also added my 36v 4.4 ah battery to make sure that wasn’t the issue. While it ran slightly better, it was still largely the same. Should I just buy new motors, and try that first, or should I buy motors and a new esc?

what is the current max speed this system is designed to reach? do you know how to calculate this?

You need to know this:

• Voltage
  • wheel diameter
  • motor KV
  • gearing ratio

Voltage-36V Wheel Size-24” circumference Motor kv-270kv Gear Ratio-Approximately 5 to 1(closer to 4.75 to 1)

Gearing 15T motor pulley and 72T wheel pulley. I tried to do a MPH calculator but it said 144mph lol

maybe you can double check here:

ESK8 Range and Speed Calculator App now in the Google Play Store

If true, this explains why the board doesn’t work well.

If you wire them up in parallel it’s definitely better than what you have now, but probably still not very good.

Best thing is to get a quality pack made out of legit cells like 30q or similar high discharge cells.

So, I ordered a new vesc. Should I order new batteries too then? Will these motors at least work?

What does it mean though? I bought new vesc from enertion raptor. Do I need new motors, or will those ones work?

Are you in high mode on your remote?

Yeah, I have tried a few different modes, but the top, and second to top are the only ones that really work. When I push start and full throttle it pushes me along and then rides at 5mph or so until I hit the hill and then it tends to completely halt and almost toss me off the board. I purchased a new vesc from enertion raptor, so I suppose I will see what difference that makes, and then use the process of elimination. If that doesn’t work I will try new batteries and then motors as a last resort. This certainly isn’t a cheap hobby lol

Read this

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Not much active here lately as I moved mainly to a similar forum…

What vesc you exactly ordered? 50xx motors not the best for a mtb but they will do the job for the beginning.

The start up problem will still be there because there are no sensors on your motors. You might give it a try to set your vesc up in HFI mode. Which is a new feature and helps to start up smoothly even without sensors. Downside is that it’s still in the early stage so you need to play around with settings to get it work properly.

About the battery, I would save the packs first. Wire them up in parallel and setup your vesc with moderate battery amp values and look how it works out for you. Sooner or later you want to get a proper battery and bigger motors for sure, but better change one by one with the experience you made out of what you have right now.

One last thing about the battery, if you decided to get a new pack make sure you buy it from somebody experienced. There are a lot of builder out which do build dangerous packs. Safety first :wink:

1 Like

Hey, I appreciate all of the info, my man! I think I will do just that. Test it with the new VESC from enertionraptor and see how that goes. As far as wiring the two batteries together in a series, wouldn’t that double the voltage to 72v? I’m sure I could do it, but I don’t want to accidentally fry my VESC or motors by accident. Thanks again for all the info.