No Torque–Motors Shudder–No Speed

Your vesc can handle 60V max. Don’t forget if you brake or switch on your battery there might occur voltage spikes which can be around 6-8V so best to stay around 12 max 13s with your vesc to not fry it accidentally.

Also, if you parallel your packs they share the load/current, so less voltage drop.

Awesome! I think I have about 90 18650 batteries in total, so I should be able to rig up a nice battery. Is it vital to have the chipboard on the battery pack when I rewire them? I’m assuming that is probably some sort of safety feature so they don’t explode when charging. Correct?

Battery building needs some preparation and knowledge. Don’t just fuck around with it please.

Some basics for an esk8 pack:

Get high discharge cells from a legit source.

Use fischpaper between p-groups and on the positive terminal

Don’t solder cells. test your nickel in saltwater before start welding.

Every pack can flex a bit, so don’t use only nickel to connect the p groups.

Use a charge only or a charge/discharge bms

That’s just the minimum basics and it needs a bit of time reading and understanding how to build a proper pack. It’s not really difficult, but definitely should be made right from the beginning. I did start a thread where everybody can post his plans or packs and people discuss this or help each other during the build process. It’s a very helpful source especially for the first pack. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to post a link to this thread as it’s not in this forum. If you need any further help you can pm me. I better do not post anything public anymore as it’s either getting edited or flagged. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Yeah, thankfully I know well enough to do research before messing with something so potentially dangerous. I have 80 18650 cells that I am looking to wire up in a 12s6p pack, which, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that will allow me 20,400mah, with an overall voltage of 48v. You think that will be enough for two motors though? A little update: after charging the battery pack and remote fully I am able to reach what feels like 10-15mph, but I am getting a huge voltage loss when I reach full speed or hit a big slope, so I’m hoping this new battery wiring will help solve that issue.

“The esc I got on eBay and it works” Personally I would get those right out of there.

The most common reason my board shutters is a motor wire. Either shorted or broken or both. Either from the factory or just off-road abuse.

Multiply your P times the capacity of each cell your using to get your total. You probably mentioned it earlier i just missed it. Example: 12s4p using “lg brownies 3000mah cells” 4x3000=12,000mah

Building your own battery rocks. Definitely install a bms battery management system. Ebay for ~$120 will have a big one for your setup. Careful of :shorts: when building your battery. Thats all. Wear protective gear just in case.

1 Like