Noob Battery Questions

Hi everyone! I’m looking to convert my 46 in pintail longboard into and e-board and I have a few questions. I’ve read through the FAQ at least three times and I’m still not sure what would work best for me. I’m 160lb and my commute to campus is a slight uphill slope probably around a 5% grade for around 2 miles. Given how much space I have on my deck I want to put as much range on it as possible so I don’t have to worry about charging much. I was thinking since this is my first build to just use lipos since I’m trying to keep costs down while also using a BMS. I’m thinking 10s4p could work well but I’m still not sure which ones would work best. Top speed I’m hoping to hit around 25 mph with a single motor setup. I’m planning on using 83mm flywheel clones but I’m also not sure what motor would best suit me. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

If I were you, I would go with Single 190kv 6374 Motor, VESC and 10S1P LiPo (I would use 5x 8000 2S LiPo https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-8000mah-2s1p-30c.html and connect them in series to make it stealth…if you have flexy deck, it might be a problem…then i would go with 5S batteries) With 15/36 gear ratio it would give you max speed of ~40kmph (http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:10,“motor-kv”:190,“system-efficiency”:900,“motor-pulley-teeth”:15,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:83}|)

If you can afford more, then change the battery for LiIon 10S4P

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s a super stiff deck so that shouldn’t be a problem. What sort of range could I expect with this?

Really far… Like really really far 16 miles if your gunning it and 20 if you are really conservative. (10S1P Lipo) 18-22 with a Li-Ion (18650 25R) One thought… I just made a build for commuting around my campus as well. It can climb around 15% grade, goes 7 miles and goes 25 mph at full charge. It is a 6S1P Lipo. If you can afford the 10S system I highly recommend it. But if you are trying to be a baller on a budget then consider a 6S1P system, a little less umph, but it’s still plenty to have a total blast.

Oh wow that’s more than I expected. What’s the mAh on your batteries? Budget’s not too big of a deal and this is an investment so I’m thinking it’d be worth it. There’s only 4 batteries in stock for the ones above so I’m thinking 9S1P system using three of these could work well too. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-8000mah-3s1p-30c-lipo-pack.html. I could even get 6 of them for 9S2P if I’m feeling really ambitious

5000 mAh for me. if you did lipo 9S2P at 8000 mAh you’d go as far as the chevy volt on a single charge… haha we’re talking 30 miles… That’s farrrrrrrrrr.

If you want to estimate your range, you can count it like this: YOUR VOLTAGE (9s~33,3V) * CAPACITY (8Ah) / 10 = Number of miles (26.64) If you will go more slowly, you can exceed this distance

esk8.today/2016/12/28/how-far-can-i-ride/

I’ve used this site for calculations… It’s been spot on for me so far.

It’s not that straight forward. I should get 36km with my pack and if i ride slowly like 15kmh average i might get that 30km and when i’m bashing around i get under 20km. I use 10s4p made from 25Rs.

Anyone here weigh around 225 lbs? I’m also in uni and would like to electrify my loaded vanguard, before potentially moving to a trampa urban carver (they look so dope, would love to try one, but cad$ :frowning:). What would you guys recommend for batteries?

My initial thoughts are on a 6s with a 215kv motor (as per torques recommendation on the 63mm) to get started, and then I’d like to expand and make it a dual 6s dual motor (1 per motor). Will 1 motor and 1 6s even be enough to move my 225 lbs behind around?

@Peeta I would go straight to dual or at least one 6374 on 10S…single on 6s might not be enough for you…

1 Like