Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Hi, I have built a electric longboard. I used it one summer but I wanted to upgrade. It was a hazel to unplug the battery’s every time and plug them in to the balance charger.

Therefore I decided to add a BMS, 3 pin charge port and a small battery presenting indicator for easy use… I decided to bypass BMS. I started with wiring the cables like the picture below, but forgot plug in the motor ore the balance wires to the battery’s(I did not plug in the XT-90). When I plugged inn my charger the BMS became super hot(to hot to touch). I though it was because my battery balance leads were not plugged inn. Therefore I plugged in my balance leads and tried again. This time the 3 pin charge port and the charger welded together. Then I plugged in the XT-90 to complete the main circuit. This was a bad decision on my behalf, because the battery’s started to expand, my cables and connecters started to smoke, and the VESC MOSFETs melted through the heat shrink. This lead to all my electronics getting destroid. :frowning:

I believe the wiring is the problem. I did not have the motor plugged inn. Can this have an effect on what happened.

Can anyone please take a look at my wiring an tell me what I have done wrong. Thanks :wink: Untitled

Also put a fuse on the charge port! In series with the charge port negative

1 Like

Any advantage on installing it on the neg vs pos? I currently have mine on the positive side and “upgraded” it to this.

No advantage, other than it being less confusing because all the positives for everything just get connected together. Less likely to make a mistake. Electrically, it’s the same.

Hello can you help me to setup up the focbox unity I have an dual 6s lipo 60c 8000mah 480a total I run them in series I have s dual 6374 149kv sensorless 70a motor max total and 12awg xt60 series cable and extension cable what is the ideal setting for my setup also i want to disable the reverse function I’m new to esk8 so please help me!!

Well motor max put 70 and -60. As far as the reverse you will want to have current no reverse in your Ppm tab but do that after you set your max and min pulse for your remote

1 Like

-60A motor minimum is going to be too much brakes on two motors. I’d raise that to -45A to start with. On one motor, sure…

1 Like

I have read and searched a lot, and cant find answer to my question, so instead of opening new thread Im trying to find someone with the knowledge to my question. My plan is to build 12s8p batt with max load of 80A, and my queston will be about bms. Should i go with 80A as it will be my max batt amps, or can I get one with more rating(which makes no sense to me)? Thanks in advance

Using a higher rating than you need is always better electrically, but usually not as good when it comes to cost/size/weight. So it’s all about balance and engineering your specific build to be like you want. Do you want it to be cheaper and/or smaller/ligher or do you want it to be more reliable?

1 Like

Im thinking more reliable. As for the size, Ive got room, lets say something like two focboxes, maby little more

hello i want to make another diy board can that with the same esc/remote? I can move it easily only one setup has dual 6374 and the other has dual 5065 or is not recommended.

Yes, but you’d have to change all the motor settings in vesc tool each time. It’s doable and you can save both profiles as XML files so you don’t have to manually enter them each time, but you’ll still have to plug the ESCs int your computer and change files each time.

1 Like

What size of nickle strip should i use for a 10s 10p 30q pack with a constant discharge of 170a

Would 190kv motors be enough torque with 8in pnuematics and 10s5p. 4:1 gear ratio

Im using a 12s1p 6000mah lipo battery with bms. The total volts are 44. I have a 42v hoverboard charger. Does this mean my batteries will never be all the way charged up?

Do not use that charger. You have to exactly match the charger and the battery. Doing otherwise can be a fire risk.

Also that particular charger won’t get your battery past 15% full even if it would work.

Damn. So i need a 44.4v charger?

And do those even exsist? All im seeing is a 50.4v monster looking charger

1 Like

50.4 is the full-charge voltage of a 12s pack (12*4.2=50.4), so yes you need a 50.4v charger.

2 Likes

Thanks. Think i need to change out the battery meter too. The one i bought is for 42v

1 Like