Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

update: I didnā€™t charge the battery last night and now it drops to apparently zero volts within a few seconds under load now. It was showing 21.2 volts, now it wonā€™t show anything on the voltmeter after cut out. Charging it again now, but my expectation is that it will probably give me 10 minutes riding before cutting out again tonight.

Can this battery be saved?

Sorry - did not see your recent reply. No visible damage that I can see. Itā€™s in the garage charging on a concrete floor and disconnected from the skateboard.

Where do I find psychotiller wheels? I tried https://psychotiller.com/product/6-billet-wheel-hubs but it shows down. Also, what pulley material and teeth # is it?

Our man Psycho has been through some shit in the past year. Currently laying low developing new products and trying to mend his reputation/PayPal account. Iā€™d look elsewhere for esk8 gear at the moment.

1 Like

Hello. Im in my 30s i was a sponsored skate boarder when i was in my teens, I rode all types of boards even those old gas ones that had a set of bindings an a tether. So i am building my e board. Im doing a 4wd Direct Drive Motors from Torque boards. Im getting 2 dual Vescs 6 from Flipsky. I was first going to get my batteries from Torque boards also but I want a 12s3p. So I was looking at Mboards for batteries they got a good priced 12s3p, using 30q. But now i have run across chibatreriesystems.com. An they have a 40T 12s3p packs. Has anybody had any experience with chibatterysystems.com? If they are using those 40T cells they are better cells wright?

Hi Guys,

Iā€™m completely new here. Iā€™ve been riding a slightly modified wowgo2s (deckswap, bushings, waterproofing, etc) for a year now almost every day, and a regular longboard for years before. I feel that I want more in power as well as in range, and as I am a diy enthusiast (mostly cars) I thought I would delve into the diy esk8 world, and build my own board. As a first build, I intend to base it on someone elseā€™s setup. Iā€™ve found an astonishingly cool build by @Idea (X7 - Jet Invasion Voyager-X | Evolve trucks | Dual 6368 140kv | Custom 10S6p 35E | Focbox Unity | GearDrive |) I want to build the same, or a very similar powertrain:

FlipSky 6368 140kv 10S6P Samsung 35E Focbox Unity

I have a budget around 850USD. If this renowned community agrees with these principles of my build, I thought I start ordering parts, as shipping takes ages. I have one concrete question, concerning the VESC. On enertionā€™s site they are selling a Motor Adapter PCB. Despite my thorough search, I wasnā€™t able to find any info on what this part is, and whether is needed for my build.

Thank you!

chibattery is legit. mboards is not. 12S3P 4wd means each of those cans only has 15A available to them, which might be okay, but is leaving a lot on the table considering those DDs can take 80A a motor (however, Iā€™d expect your ESCs to be most reliable @ 30-40A /motor, which is more than enough in 4wd unless youā€™re a speed demon).

40T cells arenā€™t ā€œbetterā€, they just have different characteristics than other cells.

Looks good. Smart to just copy someone else for your first build, though Iā€™m sure youā€™ll still have questions.

The motor adapter PCB is not necessary, it is just a helpful interface that sits in a slot in the enclosure between the motors and the ESC.

Thanks dude. So Mboards batteries are no good. Torque boards has that 12s4p battery with 30q cells, are they know for good batteries? So does Chi. I assumed that because those 40T cells have higher out put, it is better for the life of the battery pack. From what i understand the 40T cells wont have to work so hard, giving better battery life. With this 4WD DD set up im building should I go with a bigger battery. Maybe 12s4p? so I can get some higher amps to each motor?

1 Like

You got it.

So what S an P battery set up would you recommend to be able to pull say 30 amps for 4 motors? They can pull 80amps a piece. If i wanted to take full advantage of them i would want a battery that can put 320amps out continuous.

My bad i never was good at math an im having trouble figuring out how to find out what amps a battery will put out (unless it says it on the site) but as I read about different batteries they dont all have the amps out put available on them.

I donā€™t know anybody running 320A, but yeah, thatā€™s what youā€™d need to max out those four of those motors.

Any battery cell will have a cont discharge rate in C-rating or Amps. C rating is C*ah=A, so a 5000mah lipo w/ a 5C rating should be good for 25A continuous.

IMO, you want a battery that can pump out at least 30A x 4 continuous for your setup (20 x 4 @ the ESC might be enough for you 5HP ainā€™t nothinā€™), as there are benefits to going higher even if you donā€™t use all the amps (less sag and more longevity, at the cost of more weight/size/cost).

A good example is a 12S6P 30Q pack. A 30Q cell is rated at 15A cont, but is known to operate just fine at 20A. There are 6 parallel groups in the pack, so you multiply a single cells amperage by that and get a total of 120A. Youā€™d also multiply a single cellā€™s mah by 6 to get the total packs capacity. 18AH, which might get you 25mi of range.

Since you need more amps to drive more motors, but you benefit in generating less heat w/ more motors, a 12S3P 30T pack might suit you. Itā€™s a smaller pack, so your board wonā€™t weigh a ton, but it still has enough discharge to scoot those motors along, and 9ah would still get you 13mi of range.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! In what way is it helpful? It costs just a few quids, so if it improves the build in any way, Iā€™m interested.

Also, wanted to ask whether enertionā€™s e-tray with bms included is suitable for such a large battery (12s6p), I wasnā€™t able to find conclusive info on it.

The raptor etray is for 10s battery only.

Thank you! Iā€™ll do some more research and make a build thread for further questions.

Hello everybody, I have got a AT-09 Bluetooth module for my VESC 4.20 and I cant get any data from it. I have changes the app to use from ppm to ppm + UART and changed the baud rate to 9600. the module connects but then doesnā€™t show any data. one thing that was strange was that once I connected my phone to the module and then TCP linked my phone to my PC it showed some data? I am very confused, any thought will be greatly appreciated!

Iā€™ve just setup my 2 vesc over can and when I pull the trigger only one of the motor vesc runs im on verson 4.12 torqueboards vesc

Did you change one to have unique controller id?

So new to the forum and kinda curious as to what to even begin to look at to begin building or researching into buying my own electronic board. Also in the market for mountain board or something to ride on my dirt road(I live in a small country town) and still wanna get out and experience a longboard ride when I canā€™t go to the asphalt of my closest towns (12 miles)