Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

If it fits, it fits.

hello, i have a problem with my DIY E-Skate. Ive bought esc from Flipsky called ā€˜Dual FSESC4.20ā€™ and ā€˜VX2ā€™ remote with reciever. Ive tried everything even through Vesc-tool but nothing works. Everything is connected even the remote but for some reason motors does not spin but thhrough Vesc-tool the do spin. Ive tried re-connecting remote ut still same efford.

Did you set up the remote in vesc tool as well? You need to set it as well.

no, how do i sert it?

Do you have the wires from the remote on the esc like pwm and uart ports? If you didnā€™t, you need to follow the instructions to solder them on. If yes, you just go to remote set up in vesc tool and you can set if up from there. You have to first do the motor set up, then the remote or input set up.

Hey, BMS shows me an cell voltage Delta of 0.07V in my 12s4p Pack (Samsung IRN 21700-40T). How much delta is too much? My BMS is trying to Balance for 10mV. Too little/too much? Thanks, happy eastern everyone!

10mV is almost too low IMHO. A lot of it depends on your specific BMSā€™s wiring, but I definitely wouldnā€™t go any lower than that. Maybe higher (20mV) or leave it there. You donā€™t want to be making corrections for what essentially could just be measurement errors.

can i use a 24s esc and connect it to a 20v battery w/ no issues ever?

can i use a 24v esc and connect it to a 20v battery w/ no issues ever? itworkswitha21vbattery myspacebarisbroken

If its rated 24v, i dont see a lot of issues being 4 volts off, save lack of power. Its still 6s nominal or about.

Exactly what In thought about the 10mV. Iā€™ve been through 1 de/charge cycle without a problem. But the 60-90mV difference to average of cell 4 is still there. I set balancing to 100mV and now it charges again.

1 Like

Helloo, i have the problem that both of my belts are moving towards the wheels and start rubbing. I feel like im doing something wrong or am overseeing since both my left and right belt drive do it. All parts are new except for the wheels. i am using press fitt pulleys on 12inch dual kingpin evolve clones with kegel core wheels. Anything i need to pay attention to or anyone who has had this issue before? Seems like the pulleys are not straight and wobble alott, but nce again its both of them that do it.

You got it right. Either the pulley or the motor mount is not straight.

Sorry, idk if this is the wrong place to post this but Iā€™d feel intrusive making a new topic. I just got into esk8 about 3 months ago when I moved to Portland, itā€™s been really great with the Meepo Voyager X I bought honestly but Iā€™m pretty frustrated because one of the busbars on the battery pack came unwelded and Iā€™m currently without any good method of transport. Naturally as someone DIY inclined Iā€™ve decided itā€™s time to get into esk8 building (already was planning to, eventually.) Although Iā€™m not sure what the cost breakdown looks like and Iā€™d like to get a feel for it before going ALL in, for tools Iā€™m kinda covered I live close to a really filled out makerspace, like, soldering/spotwelder/arc and MIG welder/12 diff 3d printers/aluminum&wood capable CNCs/drill press/a lot of other shit itā€™s nice. But Iā€™d like to get an idea for what a meepo voyager x -ish build might look like in terms of cost for a reasonably convenient DIY build, I donā€™t plan to remake it exactly but I just want to get an idea of what the cost for something like that would look like.

tl;dr I wanna know what a meepo voyager x -like (32mph 30 mile range dual belt drive) build would cost to build, has to be sort of water resistant at least for Portland perma-drizzle. I am interested in other cool flourishes though, namely grab handle, carbon fiber deck, and maybe a hotswappable battery pack??? Is that a thing?

DIY will be more expensive than buying a prebuilt, but for repairing it can be cheaper, depending on the prebuilt.

By any chance does anyone know the data format that is used for UART communication between the Arduino and VESC? I am having particular difficulty understanding the checksum and payload I need to send. For example, if I want to get the VESC values, would the payload be COMM_GET_VALUES or something else?

This is the article I got it from: Communicating with the VESC using UART | Benjamin's robotics

Thank you in advance

The data format is proprietary and many of the values are fixed point. If you look through the SolidGeek code you can get an idea of how itā€™s encoded.

Ok so after looking at SolidGeekā€™s code, I believe the VESC data is stored in the serial buffer. In order to get data from the VESC, the helper functions buffer.c and buffer.h were created. Error detection is the crc.cpp and crc.h files. SolidGeek utilizes the checksum algorithm used to check whether there was an error in the data using 1ā€™s compliment. The datatypes.h file are used to describe the commands using in the VESCā€™s command line interface.

Roughly, I think this is an outline on what the functions do that handle the data in vescUart.cpp:

1. receiveUartMessage ā†’ gets the length of the data to determine start byte and package length
  2. packSendPayload ā†’ encodes the data with error detection and then sends it using Serial.write(). Data format is:
    1. Start byte (2 or 3 depending on size)
    2. Length of data
    3. Payload
    4. Checksum
    5. End byte (3);
  3. unpackPayload ā†’ for the most part I think its just formatting data in a way that you can use it. So decoding?
  4. processReadPacket ā†’ Based on the specific command you want. (Listed in datatypes.h), it will get the data from the VESCā€™s serial buffer using the buffer.c and buffer.h function.

After looking at this it opened up some more questions such as:

1. Why is there buffer.c and buffer.h files when Serial.read() on arduino is able to read the serial buffer? If it is different, what do the functions do?
  2. Why does it say CRC but is doing checksum? Isnā€™t checksum and CRC different forms of error detection?
  3. What is meant by fixed point? Are you referring to the values being fractions?

For the most part this is my level of understanding of the code but if I missed anything or made a mistake please let me know. Thank you.

This is mostly it, although I donā€™t remember an end byte, but there may have been one.

As far as the specific files in the SolidGeek code, I donā€™t know. I donā€™t use that code or Arduino.

But you will need to send a request for data, and then when it arrives, you need to check for errors and then, if no errors found, parse the byte stream.

Some values are sent as integers that are 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 times scaled up.

So if, for example, you receive a value of 75648 in the ampĀ·hours field, then that means 7.5648 ampĀ·hours. And if you receive 383 in the input voltage field, that means 38.3V because itā€™s scaled up by 10.

Thank you for the information earlier! I was able to figure it out.

I am now trying to upgrade my battery which initially was able to output 25 amps but I kinda want it to be able to handle higher grade hills and accelerate faster. I am using Molicel P42A cells in a 10s2p to give a 90amp max with a topspeed of around 25mph. however, I am not used to dealing with such high amperage and canā€™t use my normal nickel strips.

I think the way that I am going to do it is by spot welding either 0.2mm into a P shape and solder 2 10 guage wires in parallel in order to handle the amperage. however, I donā€™t know if this will work. The two 10 guage wire will allow 60 amps but how much will the 0.15mm or 0.2mm nickel sheet add?

I guess I am confused on how to measure the ampacity of nickel sheets that arenā€™t premade. Also do I need to worry about the ampacity of the nickel strip if its soldered to the wires? Will the nickel strip burn before it reaches the wire if the ampacity of the nickel is too low?

For reference, This is what I am basing my build off of: 10s2p P42A Battery Pack | Transparent Series ā€” MBoards