Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

They have good warranty service, but wouldnā€™t recommend their motors to anyone

2 Likes

Hi,

I like to use Sony murata vtc5a in the pack 10s2p. I like to please for some opinions. I have a small board and i need pack to do dayli 15km.

Other question is about BMS. Suppose that i will use vtc5a with total of 70A (i heard that in real is less but only for example i like to use this 70A for 2 p). i will need bms with discharging 60A or 80A?. Or maybe more or less? And for charging i will need 5A ?

Thanks

too late :grin: Got it from a local store near by.

I have several local hardware stores that sell a variety of nuts and bolts in both standard and metric.

This is a long shot, but Iā€™m taking a class where I have to design a PCB that will get manufactured and I also have access to a 3D printer. Since this is a pretty basic intro class, we have to design a voltmeter. We can alternatively design a PCB of anything we want. Does anyone have a good idea for something a beginner can design thatā€™s related to eskating? I wanna have fun with it lol

Do a ā€˜gas indicatorā€™ to estimate range based on the pack voltageā€¦ basically a voltage meter but with some flair

1 Like

Paris trucks have no place in esk8, in my opinion. Itā€™s so much better to start with one thatā€™s not round. Literally any other shape besides circular.

1 Like

Well shitā€¦ was gonna run 4kW past some Paris trucks

Whatā€™s an indicator of pack drift without a smart BMS or measuring cells individually?

Any suggestions on what fuse to wire into my charge port for a 12s6p battery using a 12s 4A charger? (Is that even the right charger I should or could be using? I hope so cause Iā€™ve already got itā€¦)

The charger voltage absolutely has to match the battery voltage (12s to 12s) but the amps is subjective, check the data sheet for your cells to make sure but 4A on a 6p is almost guaranteed to be safe, if its a 30Q then you could charge at 36A theoretically. The fuse you want should be +50% of what you expect give or take a bit so anything in the 5A to 7A is safe

1 Like

Awesome! That was the ballpark I was looking at, thanks for the help. From what Iā€™ve read, does charging at high amps have a possibility of causing the battery to degrade faster?

More amps will chip away at the capacity over time but if you stay under 1C of charge its usually trivial compared to normal use (18A charge on a battery with 18Ah of capacity)

1 Like

If you have a day to charge it then using a 1A or 2A charger is better but its probably not worth it

1 Like

Alright, cool! Thanks for the help on clearing that up for me.

One indicator is that the pack catches on fire, or the cells vent/start to bulge. Another is that some cells get hotter than others, or that the pack starts to act sluggish and not deliver enough power, or not keep a full voltage when itā€™s removed from the charger.

All the above signs only show themselves once the pack has already been badly unbalanced and damaged by misuse. Without voltage measurements or a BMS, thereā€™s no way to tell until itā€™s too late.

Iā€™ve got a volt/amp meter port between the BMS and ESC that reads 41.5V give or take after its been sitting on the charger for a while and the charger light has been green, is that normal after balancing or shitty cells?

What does the charger itself read with no battery attached?

42.22V give or take

And thatā€™s with the same meter?