Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Hey Tyler, Can you maybe send a photo on the electronics? That can help maybe.

It can be that the vesc isn’t programmed correctly and has the cutoff voltage to hight (35v)

But I don’t realy know, I have no experience with vesc’s unfortunately

What I mean is that saving the electronics can often safe your ass. The bms between the batteries can help against overdischarge which is a big cause of catching fire or random shutdowns of the powersupply or vesc. I think that the extra safety can help you :smile:

Install a vape in your helmet. And wear a spine protector with a hydration bladder filled with beer. Hands free. :wink:

1 Like

Also. I tend to agree with @b264 in pretty much all of his posts. Yes while some of us run 13s… And 12s etc etc. I only ventured here after building almost 20 boards, and having a really good understanding of how the marvelous pieces of things purchased on the internet can behave with one another. That’s coming from a guy who’s built electronic his whole life, and worked in the power industry designing data center power control logic for years.

It’s best to start off small, in regards to voltage, and upgrade, or build your way up. Not only for the understanding of the electronics,but for the understanding of your body on top these magic carpets. Going to fast to soon can be catastrophic. Even more so when you don’t understand what is happening on your board.

If it is your first board, I really suggest anyone stick to 10s or lower and grow your hobby into a fruitful experience all around… The skate. The build. The protective gear. Etc.

4 Likes

Some of us use these the exact same way you use a car. Calling this a hobby is counterproductive to all of us.

That’s like calling driving cars a hobby because a few people build muscle cars in their garage. If it’s perceived as a hobby by laymen, it’s much easier to ban and regulate because it’s perceived as “optional”. For me, it’s not optional. I need this to get groceries, go to work, and to live my life to its fullest. When you call it a hobby, it helps to alter public perception which hurts me in tiny ways. Each time it’s called a hobby it helps to shift the perception into “this is something we can ban if they piss us off”. Whereas, for example, cars – you think if it was a hobby it wouldn’t be banned? Car accidents are deadly and if that was a hobby the general public would ban it immediately because it’s too dangerous to have these steel death machines flying around all over the place. So let’s do ourselves a favor and just try to avoid using the word hobby. For some, it may be, but for others, it’s definitely not – and for laymen that don’t know the difference, the word “hobby” means “we can outlaw this”.

This is all.

If you chose to build instead of ride. The time you spend staring at it and thinking how you will put it together. That’s the piece I consider a “hobby” unless of course you plan to monetize your “building hobby”.

Yes the riding may not be a hobby, it is a form of transportation. But choosing build non monetary for yourself… Hobby.

I have 3 commercial esk8 also — some of the ones I need aren’t sold commercially anywhere yet

So your need for them is not a hobby.

But what else do you call building “things” (insert whatever your building and invested money in tools for yourself here). I guess you could call it a short term project, but projects come and go, they start and end, and likely you won’t revisit it once it is finished.

Hobby: an activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure.

When you build, what drives you? The pleasing end result? If you weren’t pleased, why do it in the first place?

Different strokes for different folks. Completely understand the NEED. But if you NEED something and dont enjoy building(the hobby)…that’s what @longhairedboy and @psychotiller @barajabali and the rest of our wonderful commissioned builders do…

PS how many kit cars do you see on the road…someone with a hobby that built thier own car…not many… But those builders still exist. Just like us…who all chose to build instead of buy…

3 Likes

One mans trash is another mans treasure, one mans hobby is another mans life :wink:

1 Like

Just when I was about to start a new thread to ask something, I found an old post on the same issue using the search. No thread for me.

Life is unfair.

3 Likes

Here is a picture of my electronics, Unfortuately, I too have very little expirence with vesc’s but if you need me to, I can upload a screenshot of my bldc software and input values.

Yes. Please do.

I bought some trucks with some shocks in them, the axels are 10mm and wouldn’t fit my MBS 100mm All Terrian wheels. So I’ll be going pneumatic wheel route but which one will fit ?

sounds like your cutoff is set to high or your batteries are busted. Post your Vesc settings and we´ll find out :slight_smile:

This! I need this! :joy::beers:

Here is a picture of my bldc, hopefully they can help

Looks almost good. Uncheck the “limit ermp” and set 60.000 as max erpm and -60.000 as min. You could set the Battery cutoff end to 34V, that gives the Vesc a bit more room before it shuts down.

Charge your batteries, and ride a round till the vesc slows down and report back how much km you went and at what voltage each cell is.

Wouldn’t he need to adjust his voltage because he has basically a 10s1p so the voltage should be 37 and cut off start at 32 and end at 30. But I will agree that the erpm’s are too high.

I will give it a test after work today but I also have a question, if I set the cutoff to 34 volts, does that mean I have 3 volts of usage, before the board starts to shut down? Why not just set the number lower so that I can use the board for longer?

no he uses a lipo. Cutoff at 3,5 or 3,4V is good to not damage them.