Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Would this Flipsky Dual Motor VESC work https://flipsky.net/products/dual-fsesc4-12-100a?_pos=2&_sid=998137f69&_ss=r

Yes sorry, I was pretty sure that I wasnā€™t clear. Thank you for answering!

So thatā€™s the hub motor I have choosen, and for the trucks I will take some basic one, for longboard, but I think my Wheel are very large arenā€™t they? Or there is no distincton when you bput them on trucks (if itā€™s possible to put them, because I Donā€™t no how)?

I Donā€™t know why Iā€™m not able to put some images and links into my postā€¦ So the reference to the hub motor is that one ā€œDIY Electric Skateboard Hub Motor Longboard PU Wheel Built-in W/Brushless Sensored Motorā€. The ID on the site Banggood is 1194664. I verify, when you just put the ID and Banggood on Google, you arrive on the right page.

Have a nice day, Gandia

new users have some limit on what they can do, normally it takes a few days for the account to be automatically updated.

just make sure your drop in & read posts. do a few likes, etc.

It said in the ESC description that it would work with 5065 motors, which is why I bought them, so is it the brand difference that you think may not be compatible?

Building good electric skateboards is tricky. Not all the parts that are available on the market, which claim in the description to be for ā€œelectric skateboardsā€, are compatible with each other.

That is why places like this forum exist, so people can share their builds.

My advice is to spend as much time as possible looking at what other people build here:

https://electric-skateboard.builders/c/e-board-builds/10?order=views

Well here goes! Iā€™ve a DIY ATB which is really good fun for about 5 minutes after a full charge. Then the power drops to about 25%. Then is appears to die. It has a 22v 10Ah battery which still shows 23.2v on the ammeter so I am VERY confused.

What do I do? Suck it up and buy a new battery?

Thanks for any replies forthcoming!

So the battery can charge to 100%?

Then randomly it drops down to 25%?

Or itā€™s not random, everytime it drops down to the same level in under the same general circumstances?

Is it lipo?

Hi there, and thanks for replying. The mystery deepens. The voltage now suddenly drops to nothing once the battery warms up. If I disconnect and reconnect it, everything returns to normal for a while but once itā€™s properly warm, no joy. The 25% was just an estimate. It does not seem random, although last night it ran fro longer than normal. Once itā€™s cooled down and I can measure voltage again, itā€™s showing still almost fully charged. Itā€™s a Life-Po 22v 10Ah battery.

I managed to get a good 10 minutes riding out of it last night until a sudden power drop at full speed sent me into a wobble that reminded me of my first ā€œtank slapperā€ on a motorcycle. I which point I gave up and came in.

Any thoughts?

Got any pictures of the battery? There is a chance it has some damage, from now on it should be treated like and explosive & left in a fire proof area, preferably outside of your house.

update: I didnā€™t charge the battery last night and now it drops to apparently zero volts within a few seconds under load now. It was showing 21.2 volts, now it wonā€™t show anything on the voltmeter after cut out. Charging it again now, but my expectation is that it will probably give me 10 minutes riding before cutting out again tonight.

Can this battery be saved?

Sorry - did not see your recent reply. No visible damage that I can see. Itā€™s in the garage charging on a concrete floor and disconnected from the skateboard.

Where do I find psychotiller wheels? I tried https://psychotiller.com/product/6-billet-wheel-hubs but it shows down. Also, what pulley material and teeth # is it?

Our man Psycho has been through some shit in the past year. Currently laying low developing new products and trying to mend his reputation/PayPal account. Iā€™d look elsewhere for esk8 gear at the moment.

1 Like

Hello. Im in my 30s i was a sponsored skate boarder when i was in my teens, I rode all types of boards even those old gas ones that had a set of bindings an a tether. So i am building my e board. Im doing a 4wd Direct Drive Motors from Torque boards. Im getting 2 dual Vescs 6 from Flipsky. I was first going to get my batteries from Torque boards also but I want a 12s3p. So I was looking at Mboards for batteries they got a good priced 12s3p, using 30q. But now i have run across chibatreriesystems.com. An they have a 40T 12s3p packs. Has anybody had any experience with chibatterysystems.com? If they are using those 40T cells they are better cells wright?

Hi Guys,

Iā€™m completely new here. Iā€™ve been riding a slightly modified wowgo2s (deckswap, bushings, waterproofing, etc) for a year now almost every day, and a regular longboard for years before. I feel that I want more in power as well as in range, and as I am a diy enthusiast (mostly cars) I thought I would delve into the diy esk8 world, and build my own board. As a first build, I intend to base it on someone elseā€™s setup. Iā€™ve found an astonishingly cool build by @Idea (X7 - Jet Invasion Voyager-X | Evolve trucks | Dual 6368 140kv | Custom 10S6p 35E | Focbox Unity | GearDrive |) I want to build the same, or a very similar powertrain:

FlipSky 6368 140kv 10S6P Samsung 35E Focbox Unity

I have a budget around 850USD. If this renowned community agrees with these principles of my build, I thought I start ordering parts, as shipping takes ages. I have one concrete question, concerning the VESC. On enertionā€™s site they are selling a Motor Adapter PCB. Despite my thorough search, I wasnā€™t able to find any info on what this part is, and whether is needed for my build.

Thank you!

chibattery is legit. mboards is not. 12S3P 4wd means each of those cans only has 15A available to them, which might be okay, but is leaving a lot on the table considering those DDs can take 80A a motor (however, Iā€™d expect your ESCs to be most reliable @ 30-40A /motor, which is more than enough in 4wd unless youā€™re a speed demon).

40T cells arenā€™t ā€œbetterā€, they just have different characteristics than other cells.

Looks good. Smart to just copy someone else for your first build, though Iā€™m sure youā€™ll still have questions.

The motor adapter PCB is not necessary, it is just a helpful interface that sits in a slot in the enclosure between the motors and the ESC.

Thanks dude. So Mboards batteries are no good. Torque boards has that 12s4p battery with 30q cells, are they know for good batteries? So does Chi. I assumed that because those 40T cells have higher out put, it is better for the life of the battery pack. From what i understand the 40T cells wont have to work so hard, giving better battery life. With this 4WD DD set up im building should I go with a bigger battery. Maybe 12s4p? so I can get some higher amps to each motor?

1 Like

You got it.

So what S an P battery set up would you recommend to be able to pull say 30 amps for 4 motors? They can pull 80amps a piece. If i wanted to take full advantage of them i would want a battery that can put 320amps out continuous.

My bad i never was good at math an im having trouble figuring out how to find out what amps a battery will put out (unless it says it on the site) but as I read about different batteries they dont all have the amps out put available on them.