Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

You need to spend time on the forum reading & opening threads, essentially just keep browsing & reading and it automatically activates your abilities.

Anyone know how to get old wheels off a direct drive motor?

I’ve got a Halo beast with direct drive motors and just got their cloud wheel / foamies AT tires.

I cannot figure out how to get the old wheels off. I have gotten some advice to use a soft mallet and bang on the inside lip of the old tire while turning it but I can’t get anything to budge and I’m very wary of damaging the motors.

I’m wondering if one of the bearings on the axle has got stuck and is working against me? I had that problem removing one of the front tires earlier. You know how sometimes a bearing will just get locked onto the axle? I had to actually use a hammer to get the bearing off…luckily it was the inner bearing.

Open to any advice including using a hacksaw to destroy the old tires but expose any potential leverage hiding under well worn urethane.

If/when I go back to traditional urethane wheels on this board it will be with the torque board blue 110s anyway.

I’m close to going hacksaw Jim Duggan on these old 97’s but this my only working E skate at the moment. I’ve got a lone star and an ownboard carbon on the way but God knows when those will show up and my brain May explode if I don’t have something to ride. Thank you in advance!

Can you please show a picture?

Absolutely. Here’s a few.

D’oh ! Apologies for getting my knee in there!

hello guys , i am a noob and i have noob question :smile: , so I have a ownboard ws1 that I hate it because of rough terrain here where I live, it just unbearable riding on it in the bad surfaces, so I want to build a belt drive board with big wheels let say cloudwheels , and I was wondering if I can use part off the ownboard to build a new belt drive board ? thanks for your time here

Hi, I ve got problem with my R2.1, I change the battery and bms ( out after 1 year :cry:), I put the new part in, and now my motor don’t start. When I swicht on the board, the remote is recognize. So I check on the application focbox with my computer and the remote don’t work. My question the remote is it out? Or the problem comes from the focbox ? Thanks for your help Vincenzo

Theoretically the old wheels should just slide off? There aren’t any fasteners i should be removing to take a wheel off a direct drive axel other than the nuts holding the wheels on right? I am liking how the direct drive motors have functioned.

From the pics you can see they clearly need a bit more clearance to ride around SF on some of the more tore up streets. That was the impetus for changing to the cloud wheel type all terrain tires.

I’m plotting my first DIY build and really like the torque boards direct drive motors assuming i wont have this problem changing wheels on any new DD motors available.

Also this is another noob question I have. The pics showing the wheels I’m working with…these are ABEC style wheel cores right? That work with ABEC wheel pulleys or adapters? As opposed to Kegal?

OK, again thank you so much in advance anyone that’s got any advice for me. Again I’m not above carefully hacking these old wheels apart if that will help me get em off. :grimacing::flushed:

I have a 12s4p 15 amp battery’s what BMS should I use please help!

Ok well I ended up having to saw the wheels off carefully removing them a piece at a time.

The amount of force it took too loose the old wheels from the direct drive motors confirmed for me that was the only way to get them off without banging on the inner lip of the wheel so hard I fear it would have bent the bolts holding the trucks on.

I tried adding synthetic lubricant in the areas where the direct drive motors a back adapters wear making contact with the wheel hubs and letting it sit for a while.

I drove it slowly around with the axle nuts off both drive tires.

I pulled the outer bearing out of each of the drive wheels with the wheels still on the axle and drove it around slowly leaning into a couple of turns nothing seemed to jar those drive wheels loose from the direct drive wheel adapters.

And here is the finished result

So in my case riding on 97 mm urethane wheels that came installed on my halo beast with the direct drive motors putting over a thousand miles on them resulted in those wheels being essentially stuck to the direct drive motors and I had to go hacksaw Jim duggan on them to get them off…not with a two-by-four but with a hacksaw and a hand held lumber saw and a Dremel motor tool for the cuts i made to the 97 mm ABEC wheel hubs to remove the final pieces without damaging the direct drive motor wheel adapters.

& right on cue it just started to rain…:woozy_face::confounded:!

… son of a #@&*?%!:man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2: Haha :rofl:.

Oh well the newly coverted ‘moon rover’ will just have to wait to stretch it’s legs I suppose.

Be careful with the wheels. The cores have a tendency to crack.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve been doing a lot of searching on the net and in this chat forum but I do have one question that I think has not been asked as yet.

Can you get a 10” x 4” Pneumatic wheel for an e board? If not can I just use Go kart wheels?

I’m sure there would be reasons that I can’t find it but please feel free to enlighten me with your suggestions. Very keen to learn.

There are a lot more resources on big tires on the other forum.

1 Like

Hi! Im new to this electric skateboard stuff and I had a q. Can I use a hub motor esc with a blet diven system. In other words, can I attach a motor that uses the belt system to a hub motor esc?

Motor and Esc:

270KV N5065 5065 Brushless Motor For DIY Electric Skateboard Scooter Multicopter

24/36V Single Wheel Hub Motor Electric System Driver Pulse Longboard Skateboard Controller Remote ESC Substitute - 29V (the motor and the esc is found on banggood)

Good looking out and thank you! I put Amphetamine Integra bearings in em…the ones with the integrated spacer and additional spacer…uh spacer I guess one would call it? Sposed to help with alignment but if the bearing have nothin to do with the issue that won’t help. I’ll def be checking em before / after each ride and will be wary in general. :+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

If you find a crack (or even before?) check your Vendor you bought them from. You might get them changed to the new version. I know ownboard and iWondrr itself did it. If you have questions pm @hide over at forum.esk8.news he works at iWonder and provides some details and solutions for the problem. Stay safe!

2 Likes

Hey @Quentin I see you got the wheels off already. Since you’re putting your own wheels on you have control over how “tight” they go on. If they’re super tight going on, they’re going to be murder to take off. Looks like we both have a similar setup though mine’s a homebrew, not a Halo product. If the wheel is tight to take off, it’s ok to gingerly pry something flat between the wheel and the adapter (again the adapter is between the wheel and the motor - you shouldn’t have to pry against the motor casing).

You’re setup looks like ABEC. My setup is Kegel. I can tell you, my kegel adapters were so freakin’ tight I actually drilled out my Orangatangs just a hair (15/64" drill bit). Keep in mind it’s ok to drill out a little more elbow room. The wheel is still bolted on the axle & bearings, it’s not going anywhere. The wheel should be snug on the adapter but doesn’t have to be killer.

Whatever you do… try not to strongly do this (lol). You should be able to lightly tap your wheels on.

1 Like

Oh man you are the best! Thank you so much for the info and pics! Ya your motors definitely look the same as mine.

I just didn’t know what was underneath that urethane so I was definitely super weary of jamming anything in there and prying on anything. Ironic that in the end I had no problem taking a hand saw & going to town. Which worked pretty well haha.

The new wheels went on very easily and the fit is good.

Again thanks for all your advice at super good info. I definitely have ABEC adapters… The board has been riding great with the new wheels on & so far no signs of cracking in the hubs.

The ownboard carbon GT I ordered showed up yesterday which also has cloud wheels on it and ABEC adapters but its belt drive I think I’ve already put 60 miles on that thing in less than 36 hours.

I’ve been drooling over the ABEC blue 110 mm urethane wheels… But I’ve got a LaCroix LoneStar on order as well so my Eskateboard spending limit has been reached at least for a couple months LOL!

The deserted streets of SF in the evenings times have been SO MUCH FUN. Taking the good with the bad I spose!

Eskating seems to be about the only thing I’m enjoying for exercise and getting out of the house lately.

I hope you’re getting some good rides in in that your friends family and loved ones are all happy healthy safe and in good spirits!

Cheers! Q

Thanks @Quentin! Yeah working from home now, I ride every day on my lunch break. I am checking out your larger wheels only because my 85mm Caguama’s leave very low clearance between the motor casings and the ground (like 1/4"). The casings are taking a beating from tiny rocks and pebbles. I’ll either have to go for bigger wheels or fashion some kind of “cow catcher” guard just in front of the back truck.

1 Like