Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Vesc Tool and Micro usb cable you need. No need for a bt module

I’ve got it connected but it doesn’t show up

Vesc isn’t showing any lights either

Is your battery connected?

yes. 10char

With the right polarity?

My focbox just showed a sign of life.

I’ve got it connected now, don’t know what went wrong.

1 Like

I need to update the firmware it says. following this article it’ll be fine? https://enertionboards.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000055556-How-to-update-flash-the-firmware-on-Focbox-Vesc-R1

Or do I need to get VESC-Tool or the ackmaniacs extended vesc tool

What you use now? There is only bldc tool and vesc tool you could need. Bldc Tool works with the old firmware. Vesc Tool with the new. Guess you use vesc tool at the moment. So you can download bldc tool and use it or flash the latest firmware and use vesc tool. If you have a focbox just make sure you choose the right hw file (410,411,412) and be sure your powersupply is now stable. You don’t want to lose connection while flashing the firmware :wink:

2 Likes

I’m actually using BLDC tool. I’ll follow the article to update the firmware. I suppose I will have to use Ackmaniacs vesc-tool since I will use his app with the bluetooth module.

When I try to update the focbox’s firmware, it doesn’t want to upload for some reason. When I click ‘upload’ the button turns gray which means you can’t select it, but it stays at 0% and eventually turns clickable again, nothing has happened.

Make a picture please

22 111

Which fw version you want to load?

The updated version. 410_411_412

412 is just the file name which fit to your hw. If you want to load a new firmware 3.xx you need the vesc tool. For 2.xx you can use bldc.

If you want to use ackmaniac anyhow than get his latest version. Should be 3.01 or so. Flash the file which will come with the ack tool for 412 and you good to go

Anyone got experience with this bms?

I have one for 8s but havent used it yet, i thought deckoz had a thread about it but i havent seen that much results

Btw I have received 2 flipsky 4.12 vescs and want to test them if they work. I am going to read the whole vesc starterguide and stuff like this one:

but I am a bit in a rush because I want to be able to get new ones from aliexpress if they are not working (you know you only are able to do that for a few days)

So question is: can I run a vesc on my lab bench powersupply (max 16v and 3a) just to test them with my remote just by plugging everything correctly in? or do I first need to do other stuff (like programming it already) to better prepare it so it will not break?

4.12 vesc should run from 8V. If you want to spin up motors you need first run a motor detection. Means you need to hook the vesc up to bldc or vesc tool. Not sure if 3a enough for running the motor detection, but this you will find out by trying :wink:

1 Like