Hi there! This here is my first esk8 build. Actually it’s my first esk8, longboard, skateboard or any other board ever.
Somehow I got the idea that I really do need an esk8 and since I really like DIY stuff why not make it myself. After watching so many videos on Youtube and finally ending at Skatemetric’s Foosted build there was no going back.
I started the thinking process by reading this forum a lot. I mean a lot. After some weeks I decided what parts to purchase and placed the orders. I really wasn’t on a budget but didn’t want to spend too much money on something I didn’t even know if I was able to ride, let alone enjoy.
I’m from EU (Finland) so I tried to get as many of the parts as possible locally. Here are the main components I chose:
- Ownboard enclosures, link
- Custom 10s2p 30Q battery from Electricboardsolutions
- Caliber Mount V2 from Electricboardsolutions
- Flywheel pulley combo w/ 15mm belt from Electricboardsolutions
- Maytech remote from Electricboardsolutions
- Antispark DIY kit from Electricboardsolutions
- and ABEC11 90mm Flywheels plus a buch of other small stuff from @e.board_solutions as well
- Caliber II 50 trucks from Eskating.eu
- 6374 190kv motor from Eskating.eu
- 15T/15mm steel motor pulley from Eskating.eu
- FocBox with 5,5 mm bullets from Eskating.eu
- Loaded Vanguard Felx 3 from Sickboards.nl
- Bones Reds bearings from Sickboards.nl
Biggest thanks to Frederic @e.board_solutions for answering so many of my questions and providing a custom battery for the Ownboard metal enclosure. Yes I know I could’ve just bought an Ownboard battery but I didn’t want to.
Total cost was almost exactly 1100€.
Ok, now some pictures.
The battery came unwrapped and with a “loose” BMS since I asked so. I wasn’t sure how the BMS was going to fit so I wanted to be able to move it if necessary. The battery itself was very nicely built. Test fitted it in the enclosure, wrapped with kapton tape and heat shrink and siliconed to place.
Also drilled some holes for the main battery wires as you can see. Next was the DIY antispark switch. I’ve never soldered any small surface-mounted components before, but hey first time for everything. Worked out great but wouldn’t do it again. A proper soldering station and solder is definitely required if you consider this!
I used XT60s instead of XT90s. I ended up removing the fuse holder and re-positioning it with some 12 AWG wire.
Because of the metal enclosures I was worried about the connection between remote and receiver. I decided to mount the receiver outside of the enclosure so I designed and 3D printed a part for that. This bolts down on the side of the enclosure and also houses the power button.
I added some silicone between the printed part and metal case so it’ll be a bitch to remove but should keep dust and water away to some extend. I also printed something to guide the phase wires from the enclosure to motor. In the picture below you can also see the relocated fuse holder.
I had to enlarge the mounting holes on the ESC enclosure since they were smaller than on the battery enclosure. Weird. Used wood inserts and M5 bolts to secure the enclosures to the deck. All drilling was of course done before fitting the electronics.
Then it was just a question of putting everything together. I have no clue how @gmurad managed to fit two Focbox’s there. I was having trouble with only one! I used zip ties and heat shrink for strain relief for all electrical connections. Also padded the battery in place with foam.
Lastly wrapped the motor wires with spiral cable wrap for protection and voilà!
If you wonder why the motor is all scratched up it’s because the Focbox decided to disconnected from the computer while doing the calibration for the remote. At least I think this is what happened. Anyway the motor started spinning like crazy without being mounted on anything. Luckily it didn’t break anything while doing so, just gave me a heart attack flying through the room. Speaking of the VESC tool I set the motor amps +50 & -50 and battery amps +35 & -12.
So after five evenings of building the damn thing it was time for maiden voyage. At 9 in the evening I drove to a close by skate track and had such a blast learning to ride the board! Fell in love immediately. After some hours of training on parking lots, today I dared to go for a 10 km run in the city. So glad I built this board.
Also today I added a carrying handle from an old backpack. Helps a lot moving the board around.
I was a little worried if single motor setup was the option to go but for the moment I don’t regret that decision at all. I don’t have the guts to go even close to a full throttle acceleration yet. Also it pushes me up the hills no problem.
Let me end this post with some thoughts for (possible) future upgrades:
- 3D print a pulley/belt cover
- Riptide bushings
- Ronin cast trucks with a DIY motor mount
Thanks for reading!