Not enough power to move me

Hi I tired higher setting and they keep tripping the VESC.

As I said, what seems to be stable and working for me is, after several trials:

• 45A Motor max
  • 80A ABS Motor max
  • 100A Battery max

I did update my Voltage cutoff, @OleksiiF had suggested safe cell value also.

I went with 3.5V per cell for cut off voltage (start) and 3.2V per cell (stop).

Thanks for the tip on reducing the fault timeout.

With my new settings and I think this is due to having a sensorless motor, if I push the remote throttle too quick to 100% it will trip, however if I push it 1/3 way to get the board moving, everything is fine and then I can punch it too 100% and the VESC will not trip.

Absolute maximum current is way too low here, you want it like 150A

Thanks made the correction.

I have a question on FOC Setup. It is necessary that I remove my motors from their pulley and wheel? I’ve been doing it with everything hooked up.

1 Like

some say it is better with it off but no, don’t have to.

Nope :slight_smile:

1 Like

2.5v is extremely low for Li-ion batteries. That’s some advertisement often done by manufacturers to help you damage your battery quickly. If you want your battery to last, 3.3v lowest and 4.1v charged. 4.2v charged is also not good because of regen. constantly overcharging your battery. cutoff start and end cannot be divided by 2 for two VESC. Each vesc needs to know it has to start reducing power when the battery voltage is at 43v or so. The only thing you divide by two is battery max current. because each VESC will suck power from the same battery so they need to only need half. Motor current also too high. I think that running the setup wizard is better here because it sets all these values automatically. You have a pretty big battery, your range will be fine, no need of low cutoff voltage

2 Likes

I confused myself about dividing the voltage and current in half and initially divided both. Makes sense to only divide the current.

All the talk about the current dropping off a cliff, the graphs and where to set cut off finally clicked. I just overlooked the basics as I’ve been learning with my first build and setup.

I didn’t consider regen and was charging my cell to 4.2v will will charge to 4.1v/cell to make sure my battery pack has a long life.

What is a safe level for the cell to set the regen value to? I set my to 10A which I guess is for the entire pack.

-20A for a single drive or -12A + -12A for a dual drive is somewhere around what you want.