Old Man Cruiser New Re-Build

I have done motor detection. The motor settings are from the previously run with old batteries. I’ll run detection a few times with the new batteries and update from there.

So my updates are:

• Battery cutoff start: 28.80 V
  • Battery cutoff end: 27.20 V
  • Batt max: 70 A
  • Integrator Limit: (TBD)

Should the ‘Absolute max’ be the same at 70.0 A too? Thanks!

Try running detection 5 times and averaging the result. Round down to the lowest 5 for int limit and lowest 50 for bemf coupling.

You should probably just leave absolute max at the default 130A

Did you get it all working?

And… Show us pics! :slight_smile:

Sorry. What free time I’ve had I have been working on getting up and riding…

I got the Zippy’s in a day after ordering and started charging at .5 amps (i wasn’t in a hurry). That took a couple of days. I had to re-work a couple of bullet connectors as I had XT60’s on my 18650 set up. Anyway, that all got done. I next updated my VESC settings based on feedback. I took it out on another easy run on Saturday. Wow! What a difference! Plenty of power/torque. It was perfect… until it started slowing down. :sob:

It was 97F outside. I had some slight hills (if you could even call them that). It would come to a crawl even on flats. I figured it was heat related. I’d let it cool down for a couple of minutes and the power was right back! When I returned home, I took of the bottom to the case and checked components for heat. The batteries were negligibly warm at best. They had dropped to about 90% charged and rebounded to 100% after a few minutes inside. The motor was hot to the touch but bearable. The VESC was really hot but touchable. I figure I need to get some venting in my case? It has but one small hole on the bottom…

I’m somewhat embarrassed of my build quality. Due in part to my lack of ability and impatience to get riding. The board is a bit of a mess. Sorry to disappoint. But since help is appreciated, I’ll more than accept some constructive criticism on improving this neophyte’s first build.

Before any hardware installed…

After a hot and dusty ride. The anchors aren’t completely tightened on the bottom cover here…

Another after my first ride.

Facing down, I have a sparkless soft switch and battery meter embedded in the silicon.

I didn’t take any shots with the case open. I have some wire shortening to do once I get the layout finalized. I used packing foam for vibration to keep the VESC, remote control receiver, and software switch board from getting beat up.

1 Like

Looks really good man! I’d definitely get some airflow for your VESC if you can. On a hot day it sounds like that’s the issue. Might also look to add some small heatsinks to the FETs.

Your enclosure looks good to me! I’ve ridden a lot worse - especially when impatient and want to ride right away!

One of my “test” setups was just painter’s tape! Worked with velcro as backup just in case. Not pretty though!

One of the best things i did was get a decent solder station - and learned how to make my own wires. Really makes a difference when you have “spaghetti” wiring shoved into an enclosure - shorten it and clean it up will also help w/ any airflow.

I’d measure the FETs for right size to get but something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-Lot-Small-Aluminium-Heatsink-For-Computer-Xbox360-PS-VGA-Chips-Cooling-/221576571622

HTH - GL!

Thanks @sl33py! I have mixed feelings on the heatsinks from reading through the forum. What experience have you had? How long have you used them? How well have they stayed in place? Are you using the adhesive that was already on the heatsink or other? Questions, questions, and more… The desert heat and dust from eastern Washington gets into everything.

I will definitely shorten and re-solder once I finalize how everything is laid out on the board. I really like the size of the cruiser. I hit about 20 mph with fantastic stability. Now if I can stop reading about controller lockups I’ll put more trust into my setup. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for my enclosure, what I really want is one formed in a shape similar to what I have, maybe a little smaller (with a lip to screw down to board) but made from a single extruded ABS or vacuum process. That would be perrrrrfect. However, I’m not up to taking that on… If anyone can do that for a fair price, I would be very interested.

Looks pretty decent to me! Love that deck BTW! :slight_smile:

Hope you can figure out the problems you’re having.

OK. Cooler day today in the desert, mid 80’s. Did a test run without cover. Everything good until one of my lipos fell and got drug around! It came out ok. Used a shoelace (MacGyver style ;P). Headed home, almost all uphill and under power. No problems!

Ordered heatsinks that @sl33py referenced. Now I need to modify the case…

1 Like

Sounds like airflow is really needed. Adding heatsinks and then covering them isn’t likely to help much if at all.

I have some heatsinks, but haven’t installed them yet. Did you measure your FETs to make sure the ones i linked on ebay fit? I’m pretty sure they’ll work, but i did not measure to confirm.

Update: rides smooth now. I added more venting and the heatsinks. All is well in the land of sun again! :blush:

2 Likes

Spent time over winter and rebuilt…again. version 2.0

And fixed cases

Added fan with switch for VESC

Learned a lot about working with Kydex too. A few more sbots…

1 Like

Trying to upload more lics

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Nice! Did you hydro-dip your enclosure? Love how it incorporates the battery enclosure to the deck graphics!

@sl33py do you mean plasti-dip paint? I had used it in the past, but dust sticks to it like “nobody’s binness”! If that is not what you meant, please enlighten me.

I did use spray paint for plastic to clean things up after sanding. I’ll be using some 3M adhesive to cement all the vinyl stickers more permanently. Arranging and applying took a long time but I am happy with the results.

I’ve tried it on some electronics enclosures w/ mixed success. Mostly just takes a bit of practice.

It’s an ink transfer process basically. A film is set in warm water - then “activated” w/ a spray to adhere to the part you dip.

Here’s a little how-to from a kit seller:

Look at the “sticker-bomb” film - similar to yours but w/ color stickers.

HTH - GL!

Cool. I see.

I just did the layout by hand with a pack of vinyl stickers.