OllinBoardCo OM5065-200kv Sensored Motor

Yeah, I ran that discount during the first production run for those that pre-ordered.

@Sboard342 You can do the ying yang style of mounting. In my opinion it doesn’t look esthetically pleasing but it works. I am a big advocate of a dual diagonal setup for weight distribution reasons. The rear end will wash out fairly easily in a dual rear and when it does it is hard to bring it back.

Yuuuup! It barely took a half an hour to turn mine down with my drill press and a file.

4 Likes

My concern in the dual diagonal is wiring up VESCs to battery and canbus connector. I am thinking run battery in middle with VESCs at each end.

Would you be wiling to sell a setup like that? I would buy trucks and mounts from you. Live in condo with out the tools to make the adjustments.

I keep the VESC’s close to each other and run long phase wire from the slave vesc to the motor.

What is the spacing between the mounts?

Spacing between the mounts on bucks is 135mm. On Randal clones 143mm.

The buck packages are on my sight as well as the parts to do it yourself.

@Sboard342 You will need at least 140mm-142mm of space for a dual rear so it looks like randals might be the solution for you. The actual length of our motors is 70mm when you included the shaft collar.

The Randal195 clones are scarce right now. I’m trying to get skatesky to make more but they are being punky about it…

The cool thing about the clones is they don’t require any milling. Perfect fit.

One more route is the surfrodz tkp trucks. I have mounts for those on my site as well. 200mm

Where can you order the Randal 195 clones

Used to be able to get them from eBay, but now the only place is Alibaba. Look-up tr158 200mm . They are currently ignoring me.

This is interesting information. It’s really got me reconsidering going with a dual rear config. Maybe a dual diag is in the cards for my build. Back to the ol’ drawing board. :persevere: I’m a little bummed the Buck195s won’t work for dual, but maybe that’s the universe trying to tell me something. I’m personally trying to go with as much USA made stuff as possible on my build. @Chaka In that video where you are running a single drive 12s 170kv, you seem to be tearing up hills with ease. How powerful are these 5065 motors? I’m around 220lb could I get away with a single drive build without killing my motor or VESC? Maybe OK for a casual cruiser?

If you reduce your gear ratio to top out around 20-25 mph a single will get the job done but you really want a dual to get good performance at 220lbs. If you go dual diagonal remember that you can extend your motor/phase cables to reach your forward mounted motor.

Edit: If you keep your VESC’s together you can also save space by sharing a capacitor bank. If you have trouble fitting 10 awg motor cables you can drop them down to 12 awg. I don’t recommend doing this on the battery cables but the phase wires on a dual will be sharing the load plus these smaller motors don’t pull extremely huge amounts of power.

1 Like

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue (below), or if i am doing something wrong. If anyone could help me get this sorted out, I would be eternally greatful. I have the 200kv Ollin motor to use with my 10s setup. I have Vesc version 2.18 and am using the corresponding BLDC tool. I decided to use a 3s battery to setup the motor “FOC” style in the BLDC tool as I’ve heard of issues with higher capacity batteries during Vesc setup. Below is a list of steps i took exactly, but the issue I’m having in short is with the second detection parameter in the FOC tab, I just keep getting “Bad Detection” when i click “Measure A (Req: R)”.

Here are the steps i’ve taken exactly so far in case it helps.

1. Connected Vesc to motor, didn’t attach sensor wire.
  2. Connected 3s battery (balance charged and verified voltage) to Vesc.
  3. Open BLDC tool, verified connected in BLDC too.
  4. Clicked “Read Configuration”
  5. Inputed 10s Battery limits, clicked on “FOC” button up top and clicked “write configuration” (could this be the issue as I have a 3s battery connected for setup on the vesc ?)
  6. Clicked on “FOC” tab on the left
  7. Clicked on “Measure R and L”, measured successfully and got these values ; R: 0.03002 L: 23.28 A: 0.000000000
  8. Clicked on Meaure A (Req: R) - got bad detection error.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen, not sure why. I’ve found after I do the first measurement I wait about 10 sec before I do the next one and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries also I reboot evettime I switch between FOC and BLDC

But 3s might be too low for the motors also I’d think you’d want 6s minimum

1 Like

Honestly you shouldn’t be messing around with FOC. A lot of VESC’s have burned up the drv chip in FOC mode and unless you know how to use a hot air gun and replace chips you will be severely inconvenienced with repairs and replacements. But you could get lucky, it is just a huge risk.

1 Like

Excellent tips! Would it be advisable to make sure that the power and phase wires are the same length for both motor/VESC setups or am I being too OCD about stuff?

I wouldn’t worry too much about different lengths but you need to be sure you have very short lengths bettween the capasitor bank and the vesc. I have seen some builds out there with several inches of cable bettween the two and it can be harsh on the vesc over time.

2 Likes