One motor dual drive build

do u think this motor would work then for a vesc and a 10s2p battery? http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/alien-6374-outrunner-brushless-motor-170kv-3200w/

sorry meant this one http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/alien-6374-outrunner-brushless-motor-170kv-3200w/

Those are the same and Yes, that will do nicely. The power ratings on these motors are always best taken with a few pinches of salt anyway, thereā€™s no standardized testing method that I know of that they use to determine the maximum output; I think a lot of the numbers came out of someoneā€™s ass.

If you end up ordering from him, you can ask for a super long shaft and heā€™ll do it for you. Same with the power and kV

really LOL well if thatā€™s the case what would u recommend for a good motor that is reliable and can go a decent speed but can also get up some nasty hills

149kv with 12s and 16 to 36 gearing should get you some pretty nice hill climbing ability but also a decent top speed

3 Likes

190kv is about the highest kv that wonā€™t break the 60k limit on 10s. Hill climbing is dependent on gearing. Go to calc.esk8.today and start plugging in numbers, see what you come up with.

so I typed in some number and found that with a 10s battery the highest kv that does that is under 60k is a 230kv motor giving me 59570 erpms with all that iā€™m thinking this motor will work right? http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/alien-6355-outrunner-brushless-motor-230kv-2400w/

Check your math there, I think you used the nominal cell voltage instead of the full-charge voltage. 230kv * 4.2v * 7 pole pairs * 10s battery is over 67K.

full charge voltage? i was going to use samsung inr 18650-25r cell and they said they had a 3.7 volt charge would that be 3.7v* 230kv* 7 pole pairs* 10sbatter which equals 59570 right?

Has anyone actually made a dual drive single motor? I dont think the steering would be affected that much. Gokarts should have the same problem but they turn great.

1 Like

Itā€™s the brakes that are the problem.

Whats the problem with brakes?

No, thatā€™s the nominal voltage, or the average. 18650 batteries have a maximum voltage of 4.2v when fully charged and a minimum voltage of between 2.5 and 3v when fully discharged. Generally when calculating speed etc, you should use the 3.7v number because thatā€™s what the board will be running at most of the time, but when the batteries are freshly charged, the voltage is 4.2, and you have to use that number for motor selection because thatā€™s the highest number the motor will see.

To have decent turning while accelerating you would need to use one way bearings in the drive Wheels, hence no brakes. Itā€™s all been covered hereā€¦

Ohh I meant using 1 motor without a freewheeling mechanism. People say the board wouldnt turn, but has anyone actually tried it?

yeah like BBT said? Jenso has mentioned some guy on a German forum who made a eMTB dual drive single beforeā€¦ he said it worked fine. Thane wheels tend to slide around when you carve/turn anyhowā€¦

I honestly couldnā€™t say. It seems to me that turning would be handicapped, but who knows.

1 Like
4 Likes

This has been discussed before, and I had the idea to use a 0Ā° baseplate in the rear (1 motor powering both rear wheels). With RKP geometry on a 0Ā° plate, the truck will lean but does not produce any turn. I understand the need for a differential in cars, but they have an axle length measured in feet; a skateboard axle is so much shorter that the difference in speed between the inside and outside rear wheels would probably be negligible on a 0Ā° baseplate. Because once again, itā€™s all lean and no turn. A 50Ā°/0Ā° setup still turns because the rear tracks the front, much like a racecar

However I was basically called an idiot and told it would never work. Because ā€œphysicsā€. Like Iā€™m sure high school physics was very challenging for you, but I have a Masterā€™s degree in engineering and still think it might work. Whoā€™s knows? Maybe I really am idiot :joy: My coworker and some people on here sure thought so!

I am still undecided on how well it would workā€¦

8 Likes