Onewheel Build Guide

I swapped out the MPU like SwarleyAUS suggested.

and what MPU does your VESC unit have on board? did you check that?

and please explain what an ā€œexternal 6050 MPUā€ is

It is a superFOC. It doesnā€™t have an onboard MPU.

An external MPU 6050 is a external (not board mounted) MPU/gyro/accelerator/IMU what ever you may call it. It is attached to the SDA and SCL pins.

errrr, yes it does

the VESC6 HW design has an onboard MPU or it wouldnā€™t work

edit: I totally mis-read that and was taking about MCU not MPU -

I think you may be confusing terms here. the MPU is the Master Processing Unit

edit: nope OP was right, I was the one confusing MPU and MCU here

For one can we not get to technical. Look up MPU6050 its a gyro. That is what Iā€™m talking about. This is the vesc that I have.

No gyro/MPU whatever is onboard.

my bad, I am reading stuff to quickly, I assumed you meant MCU :slight_smile:

Its all good. Is there anything that you can help me with?

what i can tell you:

this is the reason why the 6050 wont work as 9x50. Before using it the type of MPU is checked. so you wont be able to use an 9x50 MPU as 6050 MPU cause they have different identifier. But I donā€™t know how to solve it, it is definitely possible but you might need a custom firmware. Just search the forums and see how the others did it.

1 Like

he uploaded the 4.12 firmware and bricked the VESC6 hardware. It sucks but hopefully someone else will read this and not make the same mistake

If I were to get a trampa VESC, would that suit my needs a bit better? Has anyone used the MK IV for their onewheel?

Hi Remie,

Iā€™ve started 3D modeling my one wheel and then stumbled on this post. Would you mind sharing your model with me?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Like

External MPU6050 will work fine under the 9x50 setting, just gotta make sure that the ā€œApp to useā€ Is not set to an app that uses the rx/tx pads such as UART.

Also the info posted on footpads is out of date, they now function as ADC and require pulldown resistors, there is a more detailed postā€¦ elsewhere.

Sorry for being late with the info, i donā€™t really check this forum anymore. To be fair, i didnā€™t start this thread or ever commit to helping anyone, but I do want everyone to have a painless setup process.

Best way to get help real time is to join the telegram chat https://t.me/joinchat/JP0KNxbguWM5KhHrT5_CYA

Iā€™m also going to film a much more comprehensive set of video guides that will make their way to the vesc project website eventually.

1 Like

I just bought a MK-IV. It was a bit expensive for me but I have to get the senior project done.

Hereā€™s my build for anyone interested!

2 Likes

Hi Akash, I realise this is and old thread but Iā€™ll try my luck nevertheless: Did you or are you planning to post your CAD- or STL-files somwhere? Iā€™m currently working on a similar build and Iā€™m trying to slim down my 3D-printed parts, unfortunately my CAD-skills are not worth mentioning. So any inspiration would be appreciated. Thanks, Marc

1 Like

Is there a FOCer in the market that can handle 100A? Iā€™m staring my build and was worried about performance. If I can get a FOCer that can handle more than 60A, I will build a bigger battery packā€¦ hehe

1 Like

yeah Iā€™m running two of them at the moment. Torqueboards TB6, You should use higher voltages for better safety though.

1 Like