Open Source software and hardware. Your rights and obilgations

I figure this is all politics and theatre…but I agree with @onloop

@onloop could just block all Trampa threads on here in a minute. Delete and even mention of their website name if so desired. I don’t see it happening.

@trampa could give us a $99 USD one day special on VESC6 as makeup for doing nothing for us on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. They could lower the price of the VESC6 permanently to $150… win the hearts and minds and wallets of our community. Now he will come in here and drone and drone about paying BV and employees and god save the queen. Slow moving avoidable but inevitable & guaranteed trainwreck in progress

12 Likes

This is very concisely stated, good on you.

I’m gonna just put this out. If there is someone who can prove without doubt that the original VESC design was not BV’s in a well documented and cited thesis I’ve got $100 I will PayPal you as soon as I have it in my email.

Furthermore, if there is someone who wants to completely rewrite the code so that none of BV/Trampa code is used making the software/firmware completely independant of the Trampa trademark (@Ackmaniac I’m looking at you), completely open source, not for re-sale available to the world at large I’ve got $1000 to give you. I realize that is just a drop in the bucket, considering the time it will take. I also think there’s at least 5 other people/vendors in this thread that will match that donation, not too mention all the $5 donation that will flood in.

I feel for Ben, I really do…but…I think he shit all of his respectability down the toilet when he turned his legal and marketing mouthpiece out. I’m done, putting my money where my mouth is.

10 Likes

Well, if that is the case, than it will be fixed ASAP. If you read the GPL V3, it gives violators the chance to cure any issues after notification from the copyright owner within 30 days. As soon as you realize that there is an issue you should fix it immediately. I’m open to criticism and if someone points out an issue, it can be fixed. That is how things should work.

If you will go through this thread, then you will see, that I tried to keep it non specific to a certain project. There are quite a few OS-projects around in the world of e-skating, e-biking etc. Just wanted to create awareness.

The reason why I chose to come up with it was helping vendors understand the matter and create awareness. If you are aware of something, you can act accordingly. If you are not aware of something you are likely to fail in being compliant.

Is it a bad thing to be pointed to relevant information for your business? Probably not.

I didn’t come up with donations developer support and the like… I try to stay on topic.

Frank

I have been OS developer for over a decade now… My one of the biggest libraries are released under MIT and has over 50 billion installs and I have received 0 donations for my time spent on it and I don’t go to the forums and cry that oh well I did some work please pay me. You released your code as an open source project don’t expect money from it otherwise use a different license. I hate to see people who say oh it’s OS but please don’t forget to donate to it.

3 Likes

I didn’t come up that @Kug3lis. No outcry for donations.

Frank

10char…

5 Likes

So according to you why don’t pay a cut for ChibiOS, Qt, GCC, and other libraries for the time spent on developing because without them there would not be spinning motor?

4 Likes

But that has nothing to do with this thread. That is a separate matter.

That’s not separate matter. It’s talk about OS code and hardware and paying for it because you sell it.

7 Likes

So please stop all this non-sense, @trampa you yourself not include all required licenses and etc so just forget about it.

10 Likes

You are a Rock Star @Kug3lis, great info and glad to see it out there for EVERYONE to see. Is there such a thing as an open-source smack down :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Every time Frank shows up here, he is losing customers.

6 Likes

Frank are you doing this on endless Sphere and all the other forums ?

1 Like

Sorry for putting a discussion on. I wish you all a relaxing weekend.

Cheers, Frank

Put me down for $100 on top of that, as long as it’s a copylefted open-source license.

Also, I completely believe in open-source. I run all open-source software on my machines. However, I find it very difficult to believe that all of this is coming from the very person trying to kill off VESC with legal bullshit and trademarks.

4 Likes

You have to remember that Mongo, Redhat, MySQL as examples began as open source. And they do still have free editions available. As well as corporate / enterprise edition versions that provide extra features and support – and they cost mega-bucks for that version. Just this past week we wanted to start using MongoDB at work… and the price for (3) nodes and sharding and memory storage headed into the $100,000’s. Lol was a shock. Even Linus Torvalds got paid $150,000,000 in RedHat stock when they went public. So there was / is some great open source wealth out there.

The difference though – all of those products have open source editions and none tried to do a generic blanket all trademark name BS which I don’t know is even enforceable. i.e. it’s like saying can’t use the word Linux… only RedHat can. And Redhat isn’t the only Linux commercial vendor… what about Debian, or Fedora, etc. Curious to see if Trampa takes somebody to court and it sticks. Well probably too expensive to find out. Likely people will stop using the VESC name before that. But it would be interesting to test the law.

3 Likes

Wtf cluster you there running at my current job we are running 33 server cluster for way less than 100k :smiley:

Yeah we have “Oracle” DBA’s who don’t understand the NoSQL pricing model likely they overpaid for something. It’s a very large company… that’s what they quoted… maybe some Tier 1 support from them too. You work for a startup so likely you didn’t get dealt that way.

EDIT: Lol, let’s take this offline… we gonna put people to sleep :wink:

2 Likes

From a fairly new member as far as the guys in this thread go; I will never buy a single piece of Trampa hardware. This is an absolutely ridiculously atrocious way to alienate an entire community of a very niche market. Most people here aren’t so brand loyal that they’re willing to pay 2-3 1/2 times market value because it says Vesc…Get FOCed

9 Likes

That’s the scariest shit i’ve read all day and none of that even occurred to me, but it probably should have. I’m a web developer and have been using open source tools for 20 years. I watched mysql rise and get eaten, maria drop out of that, apache grow from shit bandaided together into the world’s number one web service platform, endless policy and standards battles, and then this.

If that stuck it would set the worst precedent we’ve ever seen for os legal buttfuckery. There’s no way a sane judge with eyeballs and a proper legal team could let that happen. I’d be willing to hack pacer if it meant getting that out of the light.

2 Likes