Orangatang Kegel - Pulley

For friction yes/maybe, but for layer adhesion its not :expressionless:

Not sure, but either way - the thing got bashed up and started to fall apart at the end. It’s still usable but when 3D printing starts to unravel I’d rather replace it all together.

then you are printing it wrong or have too high humidity. Nylon is the way to go for pulleys.

1 Like

Ive been printing pulleys with ABS for years, it has lasted me 100’s of miles. I have 1 set that has well over 1500 miles and the wear is minimal.

2 Likes

Must just be the one I had then. Either way, I’m all set!

Yes, but Petg and Abs is also good for this aplication :slight_smile:

Hmm…I use cheap Nylon from Microcenter https://www.microcenter.com/product/485160/175mm-natural-nylon-3d-printer-filament---05kg-spool-(11-lbs) and the layer adhesion is excellent. I use it on all my boards with no bolt pulleys. PETG didn’t survive, for me.

Maybe your design was not the strongest…or i dont know what was the problem. My first designs also broke in the first 1km after i redesigned and now no problems at all .

You probably just never took a curb. PETG will shatter just like ABS. The material that will hold the abuse is Nylon - there is just no way around that. I also have printed ABS+ and while wear is minimal once you hit something it will be in pieces.

What you can hit with a pulley ? Or waht do you mean ? PETG and ABS will deform a litle if you hit them :slight_smile: I will test, to hit it with the hammer , but im sure it will not be in pieces :smiley:

It’s not about wear but impact resistance or temperature stability etc.

You can hit curbs - it’s what happened to mine. A 40t pulley on 80mm wheels does get close to the ground so be aware of that. Stones, twigs etc. can also be a problem. I can just tell you what my personal experience has shown - you have to decide if it’s worth listening to.

ABS and PETG are known to have way less impact resistance compared to Nylon or PC.

Yes it has less impact resistance , but if you hit curbs you can also broke the nylon . You have to make sure to have enough clearance , then nothing bad can happen

I can dig that, but like I said…1500 miles. In that amount of time I’m sure I’ve banged it around and I ride in 102 degree weather on asphalt.

With “brittle” materials like ABS I’d be more worried about low temperatures (German winter can easily be -10°C for example) than the high ones. But I’d have to check data sheets to back that up - right now it’s just a feeling based on the experience I have with Stratasys ABS. My 6inch hubs made out of the same ABS are still holding up very well though.

Ahhh, that makes sense. If its below freezing I just drive (don’t tell @b264) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am also not saying ABS or PETG are the worst choice ever (I also opted to print my first pulleys with the same materials) - I am just trying to explain that with the modern Nylon filaments out there, there is no reason not to go for the better material which will result in a stronger pulley. It should just be clear that however good PETG is - Nylon will result in an even stronger pulley.

3 Likes