OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote

Very off but strangely on topic

Let Luke loose at the designs

2 Likes

Really nice work, @DerelictRobot !

But I don’t really understand a thing, maybe it’s obvious but I’m not a racer. What makes this remote better than a GT2B (already reliable, accurate and responsive) ? What potential problem does it fix ?

3 Likes

telemetry, military spec trigger, much better shape…its all in the thread. why be confrontational?

I was not trolling at all, asking a real question and was trying not be confrontational… Nevermind…

1 Like

I am hoping for exactly this. My current plan is just to get some basic functional designs published as a reference design, and the hope is that others can contribute, modify, polish. I’ve got EE design and firmware well handled for the time being, but iterative design on ergo enclosures is going to be a time sink and is just as important. So thank you, as this is an open source project it’s my hope that it is useful enough that others want to continue to build upon it and improve.

Quick update; had a little snafu with the prototype PCBs and then ran into Chinese New Year delays, so a few things got shifted around. I’m still shooting for end of this month/early March for the first batch of beta units.

My work project schedule got pushed back so I’ve got the next few weeks to really dig in. Hoping to have the first functional prototype to show in the near future.

6 Likes

I said it first lol

1 Like

Excuse me, I’m pretty sure the honorable Captain Jean-Luc Picard is on record for that morsel of wisdom.

4 Likes

Got all caught up on this thread and I’m so in. My degree is in Biomedical and Human Factors Engineering so I’m pretty sure that means prime beta tester.

Excellent work man. This component has long needed an upgrade

Ooh and I’ve done haptic feedback work for the Air Force MATB system

5 Likes

Interesting if true

After you posted about your dick measuring science machine I volunteered you to the Dev team

5 Likes

Stl for that?

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

What is wrong with you people and your dildos

3 Likes

What’s so great about your dildo?

7 Likes

you-did-it-zsyefg

3 Likes

It’s my companies, it’s called the speed dildo. I think you can guess why :wink:

3 Likes

Wanted to get input on this- talking with the thumbwheel manufacturer on options.

This came up at Barrett Junction: how many here would be interested in a version with no brakes? Meaning the entire range of motion on the thumbwheel could be dedicated to throttle, return all the way to one side instead of center.

I’ve got one sample on-hand like this and wasn’t really considering it until @chaka mentioned that there might be desire for an all throttle, no brakes, gigantic gonads version.

Also PCBs are waiting for me when I get back to the US.

4 Likes

Sounds like a bad idea. Maybe a second brake mechanism like the R2 remote?

3 Likes

Would be great for e-foil/surf but I would personally rather have brakes as I like stop gradually, not all at once with lot of blood at the end :smiley:.

6 Likes

Not a bad idea on a truly purpose built uphill raceboard.

I mean, I want brakes, but I can see the place. Literally double the fine acceleration control on wicked overpowered boards that do one thing… win uphill races, and that’s it.

Good point on the maytech/r2 solution.

Even if you had a predetermined slowramp brake button… or something. I dunno, been drinkin.

2 Likes

Can’t you still have brakes? It’s just they will come on automatically when you return the trigger past a point you set in vesc tool. Like in a tesla, one foot driving. Also the brakes will always be on when your not moving.

I would still prefer something that centers, its what im used to and I like spring push back on brakes.

What about a 70/30 or 60/50 throttle to break ratio, some RC car controllers do that?

5 Likes