OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote

The puck is my favourite, elegant. Excellent work, I’m looking forward to testing these.

6 Likes

I plead the fifth.

That’s correct. There’s just work that has to be done to ensure comms are optimized and that latency is not an issue.

The design intent is to keep the rider interface minimal and natural. 2 buttons- one for ride-time functions like deadman or cruise control, and another for simple mode switching between motor profiles.

Ideally the remote should provide enough interface that you should never have to pull out your phone mid-ride. The way I see this working is- your phone should only be an interface for advanced options/settings & log viewing, I’d like the remote to always be logging and to be functionally self-contained during the ride, and then be able to sync up to a phone app via WiFi at set intervals, not dissimilar from how a FitBit syncs data with your phone. This is all future roadmap stuff so I try not to talk too much about features that I’ve not yet broken ground on, but that is the end goal.

9 Likes

I really doubt I can get more than a single prototype done before Barrett, but I intended on bringing that one with me for demo. There is lead time on the PCBs and the thumbwheels are actually handmade to order- I have all the other components to build out a small batch of these remotes for beta testing, but I’m waiting to hear back on the leadtime for more thumbwheels. I’m shooting to have that first batch of prototypes done in Feb though.

As of today I’ve got all the dev tools & parts to finish out my first useable prototype though. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

@DerelictRobot see you at the shop tomorrow. Always a pleasure watching you manifest ideas to reality.

3 Likes

Well can’t wait to see it at the race! Very exciting!

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Priority number 1 for me would be reliability. I dont want to have to update shit just so I can go for a ride. I just want some basic data. Volts amp speed etc. Puckerrup is the best looking.

The puck one reminds me of the digivice from that one show that definitely wasn’t pokemon…

1 Like

Digimon…?

It looks like a grenade in the render

1 Like

Please put me on the inquiry list! Thx

LoLz :rofl:

Just as long as they don’t resemble a gun at all so we don’t get shot by cops. The main thing here is not to be firearm-colored.

Have you thought about multiple channels – example a “wheel” like the mini remote has? Or another control to allow horn honking, quietly and loudly

What about pairing multiple receivers to one transmitter? Have you considered that?

As far as breaking micro USB I agree it’s a huge problem, but one way I’ve discovered is that if a remote that draw almost no power has a big 3500mAh cell in it then you might have to charge it twice a year which means it takes a lot longer for the shitty microUSB to break :wink: But if it’s not microUSB I hope it’s USB-C :blush:

5 Likes

Hey now…

7 Likes

I told myself I wouldnt spend more on remotes… but Im game for the 3rd option as soon as theyre ready :tired_face::roll_eyes::joy:

I’ve got a 4-channel 12-bit ADC spec’d in. My thought now was 2 for analog thumbwheels/triggers and 2 for buttons. Future plans to make them easily reconfigured through the web API/app.

Totally. It’s one of the reasons why I went with a basic receiver option initially with the intent to have multi board support and offer the receivers for $25ish, with individual riding profiles & telemetry logging. The Xbee radios can pretty easily be reconfigured for a number of different network configurations, they even support mesh networking on different firmware. Multi board support is super simple in this regard, it’ll just be some work to make it painless.

So this is something I’m still chewing through, because if I do add usb externally it would need to handle charging in addition to firmware updates. Right now it’s easier/faster for me to keep the FTDI off device and use a more robust charging port. I would just prefer to take the time to do USB right if I’m going through the trouble of sourcing a USB C connector and host IC.

3 Likes

Coming from a downhill background I really like the bailing ability I get from slide gloves. My current issue is that I can only wear a puck on my non-remote hand when riding electric. Do you have any plans to make your hardware impact resistant enough that a puck could be attached and the unit could take the force of a slide? Is this even a common concern? Cheers and excellent work!

6 Likes

People have definitely brought it up before, so you’re not alone.

1 Like

I think a remote that strapped around the palm of your hand kind of like a watch but between your pointer finger and thumb. You can have this display, battery & the majority of the iternals on the back of your hand. Then have it have a fish hook type of shape for the thumbwheel to still be easily accessed by the thumb. Then you could just use your normal slide pucks rather than making the remote strong enough to slide on

8 Likes

This is nice I want them all you have my cheddar when they are go

You’re probably the 10th person to bring this exact point up. I think it’s worth looking into if there’s enough demand for such a thing. Initially my thoughts are that I’m not sure where the LCD would be effectively placed, obviously it couldn’t be in the palm. There’s also vibration/impact consideration (would probably need the pot the internals and use a solid billet aluminum metal enclosure) along with the need for a serviceable/replaceable slide disc. Esp8266s are cheap and easy, perhaps a super ruggedized version without an LCD could happen. I need to get past phase 1 before I commit to any further scope creep. But with that said…

I love this kind of thinking when it comes to HCI. This was one of the primary design philosophies behind trying to keep the internal PCB, thumbwheel, and buttons modular. I’d like us to be able to break the mold on how we interact with these devices. I worked on a research project a few years back where I built out a wearable telemetry harness that you wore like a backpack and strapped your arms into. Wirelessly linked to a humanoid robot and you could teleoperate the upper torso and arms just by moving your own; the robot would mirror your motion (meaningful interaction with the environment is another story and well, grant funding ran out). I often find myself wishing I had more of my fingers free on my throttle hand, so definitely like the idea of being able to ‘let go’ of the remote.

Great input guys, appreciate the discussion.

6 Likes

Yes for this

5 Likes