OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote

It’s my companies, it’s called the speed dildo. I think you can guess why :wink:

3 Likes

Wanted to get input on this- talking with the thumbwheel manufacturer on options.

This came up at Barrett Junction: how many here would be interested in a version with no brakes? Meaning the entire range of motion on the thumbwheel could be dedicated to throttle, return all the way to one side instead of center.

I’ve got one sample on-hand like this and wasn’t really considering it until @chaka mentioned that there might be desire for an all throttle, no brakes, gigantic gonads version.

Also PCBs are waiting for me when I get back to the US.

4 Likes

Sounds like a bad idea. Maybe a second brake mechanism like the R2 remote?

3 Likes

Would be great for e-foil/surf but I would personally rather have brakes as I like stop gradually, not all at once with lot of blood at the end :smiley:.

6 Likes

Not a bad idea on a truly purpose built uphill raceboard.

I mean, I want brakes, but I can see the place. Literally double the fine acceleration control on wicked overpowered boards that do one thing… win uphill races, and that’s it.

Good point on the maytech/r2 solution.

Even if you had a predetermined slowramp brake button… or something. I dunno, been drinkin.

2 Likes

Can’t you still have brakes? It’s just they will come on automatically when you return the trigger past a point you set in vesc tool. Like in a tesla, one foot driving. Also the brakes will always be on when your not moving.

I would still prefer something that centers, its what im used to and I like spring push back on brakes.

What about a 70/30 or 60/50 throttle to break ratio, some RC car controllers do that?

5 Likes

How about keeping it an option? Should be pretty easy to implement in the software, and then the decision can be made by whoever wants given their preference of the inclusion of the alternate throttle type.

how? I understood that those are two different trigger modules. one with end / 0 throttle position in center of the trigger travel. the other with end position in min trigger position.

As I don´t plan to use it as race remote i would prefer the option with center position. I also don´t like the idea, that when I slip off the trigger the board will hit a full break.

4 Likes

I should clarify, the all-throttle no brake option is a different model thumbwheel entirely. The thumbwheels ate modular, but they’re expensive as hell.

This would be intended as a race track specific variant, zero bearing on the standard offering.

Thinking back, I wasn’t using brakes on the uphill or downhill runs. I can see why people might want this for racing, certainly on uphill where you don’t need brakes.

This clearly wouldn’t be something everyone would want, but just wanted to put it out there that it’s an option. I’ll probably grab 1-2 more full throttle thumbwheels

3 Likes

This can be fixed with proper rate limiting and tuning on the remote firmware. The throttle input can have parametric filtering.

2 Likes

Sorry, i should clarify. There’s two different thumbwheel assemblies in question here:

1. the Full throttle thumbwheel (no brake)
  2. Partial throttle thumbwheel (brakes/reverse)

I was suggesting why keep it modular (true to its name :stuck_out_tongue: ) and allow it to be swapped (semi-) easily for those who want it. Like be able to open up the remote, remove the one assembly, and swap in the other. This was those who want it with the Full-throttle thumbwheel can swap it in, whilst also maintaining the usability of the remote with the normal thumbwheel. For those who dont care, it wont matter to them, but for those who do want it, they can install it at their own accord (and cost)

Hope that clarifies a little :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is 100% on point. The thumbwheel and the enclosures are interchangeable, modular.

2 Likes

I fleshed out phase 2 & 3 plans a bit more. Looking for additional feedback.

Just as a general update on my progress on this project:

I have 2 prototypes built up, one ESP & one arduino based- both roughly the size of a RPI and looking uglier than @b264’s ass after a weekend in Vegas. I ran into some delays with a shipping mishap + CNY which pushed things back a bit as I’m currently out of country launching pilot projects for the day job. I return March 4th and plan on diving directly into building out the first batch of prototypes to send out for Beta testing. Just wanted to let you guys know this is still moving forward and I’ve made progress on the codebase, but waiting on PCBs to arrive before I unveil more.

IMG_20181230_211732

I was not kidding on the ugly. Prototypes weeee

Screenshot_20190220-141444

16 Likes

some duck tape can fix it! will look pretty after :ok_hand: 26 of march is my birthday…so perfect timing for getting a prototype ready :joy:

3 Likes

Great to hear man. I really like the idea of double the thumb wheel control but can’t sacrifice brakes. I think split trigger is the easiest and best solution.

What do you think about one acceleration thumbwheel (only rotates clockwise we’ll say) with a second thumbwheel to the right of it that only rotates CCW to handle brakes?

Pros -Double the control for brakes and accel, would allow you to set more aggressive settings -familiar mechanism with familiar finger -you can’t accidentally turn one the wrong way, foolproof -never been done -I said so

Cons

• costs a bit more for 2 wheels
1 Like

Maybe I’m not envisioning what you’re describing, but I would think two thumbwheels next to each other might not be very intuitive.

Keep in mind the standard offering will just be a center return throttle with acceleration/brake. I already added 4 analog inputs, 2 of which are dedicated to throttle/brake/Deadman inputs. So technologically adding more analog inputs is no big deal, I just want to ensure they make sense and are immediately intuitive to the rider.

I see how easy it would be to f up and push the wrong one if you were unfamiliar. But if they are unilateral and can only be pressed in opposite directions from resting position, it won’t matter. You can’t accidentally press the brakes forward when accelerating or the accel backwards when braking. Just highdeas. If it is only a center return, this wouldn’t work. It would have to be rotary phone style rotation that resets to true 0%, not 50%

1 Like

If you check the first post you’ll see the two variants I have on hand for testing. One center return, the other is as you describe. Utilizing either isn’t an issue, it’s making sure it isn’t going to be confusing to the rider, ever, that I’m invested in. I don’t like overly complicated HCI, nobody does.

While two thumbwheel inputs are supported, you’ll notice I don’t have any variants making use of that yet. I’m not opposed, but I’m also not convinced something like the new Maytech remote isn’t awkward as hell to use. I want this simple as possible, even the Deadman switch will be entirely optional and user configured.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. We’ll talk more after I get that maytech split ha Here’s my awesome drawing I was mocking up. Patent pending.

sketch-1550669734772

4 Likes